Question

imessage and facetime stopped working when moved sim to new handset

Userlevel 1

I set up new iPhone 14 from iPhone 11. iMessage and FaceTime are not connecting with number in new handset . Spent 3 hrs on phone to apple who have been very thorough and it’s not the handset. Tried another id mobile sim in new phone and it works. How do I get ID to investigate and fix sim??

10 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Lauran79, have you signed-in online using a web browser, at https://appleid.apple.com using your AppleID, and checked what devices are linked to your AppleID?

You may find the number you wanted to keep using with your iPhone 14 is actually linked to another Apple device, and not your new iPhone 14.

🤞

Userlevel 1

Yes, apple investigated all of this already 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Lauran79, it sounds like your iPhone 11 is still linked to the mobile number you’re using with your iPhone 14.

This can happen when you have got multiple iPhone devices registered against your AppleID.
They can’t all be linked to the same mobile phone number.

In your position, I’d try and sign-in at https://appleid.apple.com using my AppleID, and check what mobile phone numbers are linked to the iPhone “Devices” in my Apple account.

Userlevel 1

No, it’s all been checked and it’s not connected to 11 anymore 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks @Lauran79 - the iMessage and FaceTime services are 100% Apple owned and operated services, which only need an Internet connection to work.

The Internet connection can be either a mobile network data connection, or a Wi-Fi network connection. 

Anyway, I hope iD Mobile can solve this problem.

Userlevel 1

Yeah, for some reason in the new phone the number isn’t connecting to iMessage or FaceTime. Another ID mobile sim is so it’s a sim issue 😔

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The two iD Mobile SIM cards will have different mobile numbers, which may explain why another SIM in the iPhone 14 is working.

It does seem like the mobile number you want to use with your iPhone 14 is still registered to your iPhone 11.

Apple should be able to sort this out, as iMessage & FaceTime are entirely Apple services.

Userlevel 1

Thanks, however the iPhone 11 has been logged out of and reset so it is no longer linked to my Apple ID.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay thanks @Lauran79, if you use a web browser to sign-in at https://appleid.apple.com, with the same AppleID you’re using with your iPhone 14, and then:

1. Select “Devices”.
  2. Select your iPhone 14.
  3. Check in the “About” section for the phone number Apple have linked to your iPhone 14.

Is the correct phone number shown there?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Lauran79 

Are you still having issues with this?

As mentioned above by @andewhite iMessage and FaceTime are Apple services which we’d have no control over, we at iD Mobile have control of the SIM card itself and only that, let us know if you’re still having issues so we can get in contact and ensure the port has completed correctly to the SIM card.

Otherwise, we’d recommend speaking to Apple about this further.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?