Question

Xperia XZ3 Wifi calling - flash firmware?

Hi,

I know this has been covered before but I was looking for experience/insight into this problem. I’ll cover it as best I can.

I have an Xperia XZ3 which was supplied by O2 UK. I never tried Wifi calling on O2 so don’t know if it worked. This model is listed as being compatible with iD and O2 Wifi calling.

I’ve really switched to iD and really like it so I don’t want to switch, but in my office it has literally no signal at all. This is fine for emails and Whatsapp as there is Wifi but I need calls and texts too - basically I can stay with iD if I can get calls and SMS working through Wifi.

I’ve followed the instructions to enable it, but the option just isn’t there in the relevant apps. 

1. Is this something that iD needs to enable for me?
  2. Is it something to do with having the wrong firmware? If I flash a different firmware version, will this option suddenly be enabled?
  3. Is the cause something else that I haven’t considered?

Thanks for any and all thoughts.

3 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Was your device locked to O2 at any point?

Was your device locked to O2 at any point?

I don’t believe so. I was the first ever user of the phone and it worked instantly with the iD SIM without any unlocking procedure.

There is no O2 branding on the box or phone or any O2 paperwork with it.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @it28, you may need to double-check the firmware and Android on your device are the latest available versions.

Another forum member @BDRichardson had a similar issue several months ago, which I think they resolved by using LineageOS on their Xperia XZ3.

According to iD’s “Wi-Fi Calling & 4G Calling” community article, XZ3 device is supported with the iD WiFi Call service.

However, this article states the device needs to have been purchased from iD, although this requirement is clearly contradicted in the forum topic:

why cant i use wifi calling on s9 plus i bought from somewhere else? you can use WiFi calling with Vodafone, O2

Anyway, good luck.

Why iD Mobile?