Solved

Another Credit Fail Customer

• 26 February 2019
  • 8 replies

I was shocked today to be refused a second contract with iD. I have a perfect credit score and have never been refused a contract in my life. I can see there are a number of threads about the same issue others have encountered ?
I took out a contract for my wife in December - pay monthly phone 2 year deal - and have made 3 payments on the account so far. Today I tried to order a 1 month sim only for my daughter (via uswitch where there was an attractive offer) and was refused, receiving an email telling me I haven't met the credit check criteria with no reason given.
I even went on my online account to see if I could add the sim to the existing account and was told via online chat that I'd need to open a separate online account. The agent even said they were glad that I was taking a second line!
What's going on here?
icon

Best answer by Ryan 28 February 2019, 13:27

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi Taylor,

Do you have any other contracts currently open with us? We only allow a maximum of two per person so this could be a factor.

Ryan
I have the one existing for my wife's phone as I described in the original post. Took out in Dec 18. Regardless of the number of contracts, what's that got to do with a failed credit check? Why would you turn away business? Doesn't make sense.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @taylorma,

I understand; I was just making sure that you had no older contracts that may have still been open as we do only allow a maximum of two contracts per person.

We would advise you to try and sign up for the second contract at least 6-months after the first one has been purchased as this will have a much greater chance of being accepted. I appreciate that this might be an inconvenience at this time and we're sorry that a more favourable resolution can't be given.

Ryan
So its nothing to do with a credit check then? It's a policy decision by iD to restrict the number of contracts an individual signs up for with in a given time frame. Unbelievable. You must be doing incredibly well in the market to pick and choose who your customers are. Ridiculous as your acceptance criteria is, you ought to make this clear in your marketing instead of hiding behind a false credit check, then people will know not to buy from you.
As for waiting for the first contract I took out with iD to be 6 months old, what I've done instead is sign up with another provider and given them my business instead. I only wanted a temporary sim for a few months until contracting for a new phone - £10 a month! Where on earth is the risk in a £10 a month sim only? So when I do get a new phone, it won't be with iD and when the contract I have eventually expires, I won't renew that with iD either. I prefer not to do business with a company that treats me with disrespect and contempt.
On a final point, as you're owned by Carphone Warehouse, who I've purchased / contracted for several phones in recent years (without any credit issues, all of which have been paid up on time without issue - maybe you should have linked your credit check to these purchases), I won't be doing business with them again either.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @taylorma,

The check that is conducted is more of an accumulation of checks as a whole, and part of this does contain a credit check, a security check as well as a check on your past purchases with us.

I fully understand your frustration and I am sorry that we couldn't offer you a second line at this time.

Ryan
" Accumulation of checks as a whole". Utter nonsense. I have raised a formal complaint with iD as I want to know, as is my right, what you deem within my credit record to be of a nature that fails your so called criteria. We'll see what that reveals. I suspect its nothing to do with my credit history. Indeed, a search of this and other forums reveals a number of similar experiences from other disgruntled customers who have been treated similarly.

Lets just be clear what we mean by a second line as well. It's not a phone, no hardware, nothing other than a one month £10 contract, that if it wasn't paid you'd disconnect with zero risk or exposure. What's the real reason iD?
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
@taylorma,

Again, I apologise for any frustration that has been caused by this outcome. The checks are reviewed internally and releasing information surrounding what is exactly included within the checks, along with the criteria used, would compromise the security and integrity of our checks which could make it easier for people to pass in the future, whereby they shouldn't pass the check.

I'd recommend awaiting an outcome to your complaint for further assistance with this.

Ryan
Userlevel 1

I too have just been rejected, twice.  At least I now know that it is ID Mobile policy rather than my credit file.  It does seem bizarre. And it is somewhat annoying, frustrating and time consuming that they are not upfront about the limitation.  0 out of 10 for customer satisfaction !!

Why iD Mobile?