Solved

Can’t send or receive SMS/iMessage after porting my number

• 1 September 2020
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1

I ported my number last week and can make/receive calls with no problem, however my texts aren’t working (so I can’t receive verification codes for any apps!!!) and I urgently need to access my online banking. 

I have tried to turn iMessage on and off, and restart the phone to no avail. 

can anyone advise?

Many thanks.

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 2 September 2020, 11:58

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Esme193,

Sorry to hear that. 

I believe this is down to iMessage and needing to update the number.

1)    Turn off iMessage (Settings > Messages)
2)    Restart your phone (by pressing and holding the on/off button)
3)    Tap Settings > Phone > My Number and confirm that it is correct. 
4)    If it is not correct, please enter the correct number
5)    Turn iMessage back to On (Settings > Messages)
6)    Finally, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see if the correct number is displayed under “Start new conversations from:”. 

This should fix the issue with the texts but if it doesn’t, or you still can’t receive these OTP messages, please let us know.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your response however unfortunately it still isn’t working (not receiving any messages). Is there anything else to try? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Esme193,

When you tried that, was the number correct to the one you’re wanting to use on the handset?

Will

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your help, yes the number was correct. This morning it has just started working!

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

@Esme193 That’s great news, so glad to hear that, Esme! Have a great weekend :)

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

I’m having the same issue, after porting my number to iD Mobile it won’t activate iMessage, spoke to apple & asked if I can send and receive international sms, but I’ve checked that the number in settings phone is correct, I’ve turned off iMessage restarted my phone then turned iMessage back on, I’ve tried changing my Apple ID password  But nothing works. Please help 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Hansol2005 

Have you tried backing up your phone and trying a Factory restore on the handset? Once done, set your phone up again and restore your iCloud back up. This will eliminate any software faults which is causing your iMessage not to work

Please let us know how you get on.

-Mohsin

Userlevel 1

Hi, yeah Apple support got me to do that, I’ve spoken to iD Mobile live chat & they have escalated the issue 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Ah right, that sounds positive @Hansol2005.

Please let us know if you don';t hear back from that.

Will

Userlevel 1

Can anyone who has had this issue before please advise how it was fixed? I have the same issue. See my post: 

Userlevel 1

Can anyone who has had this issue before please advise how it was fixed? I have the same issue. See my post: 

So I found a very good video on steps to sort out this problem. Worked for me and my iMessage and FaceTime are working perfectly how. I had no luck with id mobile customer care and apple support as they tossed me about so I decided to do my own research and found this very helpful YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNS8ud62Mxk

it was such a relief and I am happy to share the solution to anyone else who has the problem.

Userlevel 1

I am having similar problems. My SMS show as the number allocated by ID and not the number I PAC over. I corrected the issue by clearing the cache which worked for a couple of days but now it starting again, I can keep clearing all my messages. I have tried to contact ID mobile via the various avenues I was promised an escalation to Tech team but nothing has happened. Very frustrating. I am getting so angry.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Karen B 

Are you on an iPhone or an Android? I’d recommend following the below steps according to the device you’re on;

iPhone:

1) Turn off iMessage (Settings > Messages)  

2) Restart your phone (by pressing and holding the on/off button)  

3) Tap Settings > Phone > My Number and confirm that it is correct.  

4) If it is not correct, please enter the correct number  

5) Turn iMessage back to On (Settings > Messages)  

6) Finally, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see if the correct number is displayed under "Start new conversations from:"  

If you are having issues with the above please retry with flight mode enabled and/or the SIM card removed. 

Android:

If you open your Messaging app and click Settings > Chat Features does it show the correct number?

If it shows the incorrect one, then head to: https://messages.google.com/disable-chat and you should be able to de-register the number.

Once done, turn off the Chat Features and the phone.

Wait a few minutes and turn the device back on and re-enable Chat Features it should let you re-register/update to the correct number.

Tom

I echo the problems above, what a shambles, wasting so much time.

In first instance, my transfer was delayed but even now it’s done, I can’t get iMessage /Facetime working. SMS was working, but now isn’t, so I can’t send messages at all. (except WhatsApp).

I’ve spent 45 mins with Apple, reset network settings, turned the iMessage/Facetime and phone off and on a zillion times, signed out of Apple ID etc. Nothing works so now I’m advised to “speak” to ID Mobile which I’m not too optimistic about because they don’t seem keen on dealing with customers directly.

I’m also unable to register my ID account on the app - it doesn’t just says “oops the details you’ve entered are incorrect” but they’re not. It did accept them one morning and I got the PIN, but then it said “Not possible to register just now. Try later” after which I got the Oops message again. Sigh.

I’ve been on to the Chat and they’ve escalated it. I've been offered £10 so far, doesn’t really make up for time spent and inconvenience so far and we’re not resolved yet.

Userlevel 1

Hi Jane

I made a mistake of using my ID SIM before my own number had ported over.  I tried everything but in the end what worked for me was clearing the cache for the calls and messages then restarted the phone. I have not had any issues since.

I hope this helps

Karen

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @JaneCameron 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

I am having this issue too, can’t change ‘my number’ in my phone to my pac ported number. Can make & receive calls fine but no SMS. Have tried to change number but it won’t save 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Mgnmum,

Welcome to the Community!

Which make and model handset are you using?

Please can you reset your network settings and try it again?

Kash

Why iD Mobile?