Skip to main content
Solved

eSim Texts for iPad - OTP Problem

• 24 May 2024
  • 7 replies

Here is are the problems - 

Brought new cellar iPad Air (doesn’t have physical sim slot only eSim)

Purchased new SIM Only service from ID - This is delivered by way of email with a barcode to load the eSim

Installed eSim on to iPad using issued barcode (all automated config loaded)

I have cellular service (data is active and working) but can not make or receive calls or Texts (which is the more important bit here) PROBEM NUMBER 1 - I need to be able to receive texts from this service on this device!!

I have tried to add the number to my apple ID but this requires a OTP which I can’t receive as the device doesn’t seem to have enabled this - HOW DO I RESOLVE THIS??

PROBLEM NUMBER 2

I have logged onto ID website to register my account, In order to to fully activate I need to enter my Mobile number - (have done this) once done it then takes me to the next page which requires (AGAIN) a OTP - This text is sent to the ID Mobile number for which I have no method of receiving messages for as this doesn’t seem to be working on the iPad…

As you can see resolution to problem 1 would resolve the problem 2 - So how do i get my iPad Air to receive Texts for the number associated to the eSim without the challenge of needing a OTP which is sent by Text 🤷🏻🤦🏻

Okay @Smiles1982, is your iD mobile number shown in “Settings > Phone > My Number” (might be a little different in iPadOS)? 

Not an option in the iPad settings

Okay @Smiles1982, assuming your new iPad is running iPadOS 17 - Apple online support pages say iPad models with Wi-Fi + Cellular capability do not support cellular phone service, only cellular data transmission.

Unless iD Mobile can send your registration verification code via email, not sure how you’ll be able to register for your “My iD Account” online.

I’m not fussed by the ability to have Phone service (calls) its the data transmission for text (which as far as I’m aware SMS messages are transmitted over cellular networks using standard data packets)

At the bare minimum the iPad should be able to receive texts and this isn’t the case.

Okay @Smiles1982, I think an SMS would only use data packets if sent using the service operator’s IMS infrastructure, but perhaps not - what do Apple advise?

Calls and SMS are cellular services, but Apple state an iPad only supports data transmission on cellular networks - maybe that’s why the Phone app doesn’t exist in iPadOS.

Update: 
In addition, unfortunately iD Mobile state their SIM cards (eSIM devices) are only supported for use with a mobile phone.

Hi @Smiles1982 
I am was in the same/similar situation as you.  I upgraded my iPad and had been using Smarty but they don’t offer an eSIM so switched to ID Mobile I purchased the eSIM and received the QR Code and it installed great (From memory it did give me an option to receive an email instead of the SMS)  So you don’t need to be able to receive an SMS to activate it on the iPad.  It works fine.

Now for the issue if you wish to be able to monitor your account online you need to create an online account and attach the phone number to your account but to do so you need to receive an SMS and enter the number received.  I asked customer services if they could add it for me but they said no.  But I could transfer the eSIM to my mobile then register the number against my account and then transfer the sim back to the iPad.  So I deleted the eSIM from the iPad and  got a new QR code from ID and added it to my iPhone and registered the Number against the account then I deleted it from my iPhone and requested another QR to add it back to the iPad.  Unforturnately yesterday they then told me the eSIM generation had just gone down.  I tried again today and the system is still down.  

So maybe the best way until ID sort out a way of adding it to an account is to add the esim first to your iPhone and register it and then transfer it to the iPad.  Unfortunately Apple doesn’t let you transfer sims between iPad and iPhone (Don’t know why only iPhone to iPhone or iPad to iPad) but you have to use the QR code method

Hi @Smiles1982 @Esky,

Welcome to the Community!

We currently only offer eSIMs for handsets.

Hopefully we can expand our eSIMs in the future for use in other devices and tech.

Kash