F.A.Q.

Everything you need to know about eSIMs

• 31 January 2022
  • 0 replies
Everything you need to know about eSIMs
Userlevel 8
Badge

What is an eSIM?

An embedded SIM (eSIM) is a digital version of a physical SIM card. Simply activate your eSIM using the QR Code we send you via email, and get connected to iD Mobile hassle-free!

What are the benefits of eSIM?

An eSIM is more secure - there is no physical SIM card to remove if your phone is lost or stolen. Plus, you can store multiple eSIMs on the same phone and easily switch between them.

What phones do iD Mobile support eSIM on?

To double-check if your phone is eSIM compatible, simply dial *#06# into your keypad. If you see a pop up which includes an EID number on the screen, then your device is eSIM compatible. Simple!

How do I activate my eSIM?

To find out how to active your eSIM, check out this article.

Can I port my number from another network to an eSIM?

Yes. You can use a PAC or STAC as usual if you wish to keep or ditch your existing number when you switch to iD Mobile. If you are currently using an eSIM on your previous network - and transferring your number to iD Mobile - we recommend deleting your old eSIM after you activate your eSIM from us. For additional information, please visit our switching page.

I need a replacement eSIM. What should I do?

To find out how to get a replacement eSIM, check out this article. 

I have an physical SIM. Can I switch to an eSIM?

Yes. You can switch from a physical SIM to an eSIM anytime. To find out how to request an eSIM, check out this article.

I have an eSIM. Can I switch to a physical SIM?

Yes. You can switch from an eSIM back to a physical SIM anytime. Check out this article on how to get a replacement physical SIM.

What happens to my plan if I delete my eSIM from my phone?

Deleting your eSIM does not cancel your iD Mobile plan. To continue using the plan, you must get a replacement eSIM. Alternatively, log in to the iD Mobile app to cancel your plan.

What if my eSIM QR code or phone camera is damaged?

Please follow the steps on this article to complete a manual setup of your eSIM.

Do I need a Wi-Fi network to activate my eSIM?

Yes. To activate your eSIM on your phone you’ll need to be connected to the internet (Wi-Fi).

Can I still use my iD eSIM when I travel abroad?

Yes. You can use your eSIM in the same way you would a physical SIM.

Can I still use my ‘cellular’ device without an eSIM?

Many devices that have eSIMs pre-installed can still use all their available features when connected to a Wi-Fi network, or when paired to another device that has Wi-Fi, 4G or 5G capabilities (like a phone).

Devices such as tablets and wearables that have eSIMs will often be marketed as ‘Cellular’. This means that they have the potential to send and receive data using a cellular network, usually over 4G or 5G, just like a mobile phone. Unfortunately, iD Mobile customers won’t be able to use the cellular function on devices such as Apple Watches, as these devices only use eSIMs and don’t have traditional SIM Card trays.

Please be aware, Apple Watch eSIMs must use the same network as the iPhone it is paired to, and with iD Mobile not currently supporting eSIMs, this isn’t possible for our customers. 

The good news is that cellular isn’t the only way for customers to use their eSIM devices to their full potential. Click the link below to find out how iD customers can still use Apple Watches without eSIM support.

This topic has been closed for comments
Why iD Mobile?