Question

I have apparently changed from SIM only to 24 month plan which i cannot leave

• 6 November 2018
  • 5 replies

I am shocked to learn that from sim only no contract plan i have this year back in April changed to a 24 monthly pay plan which i can't remember doing it. The worse is that i am locked with it till 2020 and cannot leave without a cancellation fee of almost £300. I am livid. Isn't there a law against keeping a customer prisoner even after been with the company ID for almost 2 years, but now having to remain unwillingly up to 2020???
Has anyone had a similar problem? I found a better deal and want to be free to change to it without having to pay for service i won't use up to 2020 as punishment or be a prisoner of it up to 2020??!!
I am sure this is against all the principles of free movement and liberty!

5 replies

I am shocked to learn that from sim only no contract plan i have this year (back in April) changed to a 24 monthly pay plan. The worse is that i am locked with it till 2020 and cannot leave without a cancellation fee of almost £300. I am livid. Isn't there a law against keeping a customer prisoner even after been with the company ID for almost 2 years, but now having to remain unwillingly up to 2020???
Has anyone had a similar problem? I found a better deal and want to be free to change to it without having to pay for service i won't use up to 2020 as punishment or be a prisoner of it up to 2020??!!
I wonder if anyone has had a similar problem with iD.
I am shocked to learn today that from a SIM only, no contract plan, I have this year back in April upgraded/changed to a 24 monthly pay plan from which I am locked with it till 2020 and cannot leave without a cancellation fee of almost £300.
I am livid. Isn't there a law against keeping a customer prisoner even after been with the company ID for almost 2 years, but now having to remain unwillingly up to 2020???
Badge +10
Hi

I you didn't authorise the change or make an upgrade then yes!
Depends on the circumstance around the change and how it came about.

Most contracts lock you in for either 1-2 years it is just the way they work.
If a new mobile was sent to you as part of the new contract then yes it would involve a cancelation fee to recuperate the costs of the mobile or the lost revenue from the contract term.

Sorry to hear your plight maybe customer services can help you further?
There is a 14 day cooling off period if the changed was made by yourself online.
Which may get you out of the contract without any penalties?
I am speechless at the moment. Might comment tomorrow!
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @Ellie,

This doesn't seem right. This would only happen if you selected an upgrade yourself through our App/Website; we wouldn't just upgrade you automatically you see. Have you been sent a new phone through the post? Our 24 month contracts come with a free handset so one will have been sent to your registered address back in April as you say.

Also, I have merged both of your posts as they are quite similar. Kindly refrain from opening multiple topics with the same issue as it will hinder our chances of helping you quicker.

Thanks

Ryan

Why iD Mobile?