Solved

Data Roaming in EU not working. Calls and SMS working.

• 11 February 2024
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1

My id Mobile's Data Roaming not working in EU.  I have had 4 long live chats but to no avail.  Calls and SMS working just fine.  Tried my wife)'s id mobile sim on my phone and data roaming works fine.  My sim in my wife's phone doesnot work. So there is nothing wrong with my device.  Checked and double checked Data Roaming is ticked on both in my device and id mobile app.  Did reset network settings.  Compared APN and everything looks ok.  On my phone it does show 4G on the top line but does not open apny web page.  It says No Internet Connection whilst 4G showing on the top line.  Strange but true. ID Mobile is not able to sort it out either.  I wonder whether someone has experienced a similar problem.  Any help would be grately appreciated.  Thanks.  Drew

icon

Best answer by andewhite 18 February 2024, 08:45

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 1

ID mobile escalated my problem to Technical Team on 27 Jan and I was told I would hear from them via SMS within 48 hours but it is 10 Feb and no response.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sounds like your handset was using the wrong APN settings for some reason, @Rano.

Sometimes the roaming partner network appears to use APN settings for the Three UK network (the iD Mobile network partner). 

Userlevel 1

Sounds like your handset was using the wrong APN settings for some reason, @Rano.

Sometimes the roaming partner network appears to use APN settings for the Three UK network (the iD Mobile network partner). 

@andewhite  could the server settings ( that the APN rely on to link the SIM to the correct network) have changed recently in the past 2 or 3 weeks?  Or the server be problem?

I can see on a mobile the  SIM APN settings are

MMSC http://MMS.um.idmobile.co.uk:10021/MMSC

So if idmobile.co.uk website is having problems will this APN setting for SIM cause problems?

Similarly  if three.co.uk was down would SIM cards with MMSC http://MMS.um.three.co.uk:10021/MMSC

Setting have connection problems?

On other networks the MMSC settings can be blank (but they may have username or password requirements on the APN which Three/Id APN don't).

Would like to find out what the "some reason" is mentioned above

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

@andewhite  could the server settings ( that the APN rely on to link the SIM to the correct network) have changed recently in the past 2 or 3 weeks?  Or the server be problem?

I can see on a mobile the  SIM APN settings are

MMSC http://MMS.um.idmobile.co.uk:10021/MMSC

So if idmobile.co.uk website is having problems will this APN setting for SIM cause problems?

Similarly  if three.co.uk was down would SIM cards with MMSC http://MMS.um.three.co.uk:10021/MMSC

Setting have connection problems?

On other networks the MMSC settings can be blank (but they may have username or password requirements on the APN which Three/Id APN don't).

Would like to find out what the "some reason" is mentioned above

Okay @Moto_customer, I’m not an iD employee, and don’t know the “some reason” for the APN value not being set to “id” (lowercase) in some circumstances while an iD SIM card is roaming outside the UK. 

I can only speculate that if roaming calls + roaming texts are working, and roaming mobile data isn’t, then it might be an issue with the APN value, in the mobile data settings. 

There are forum topics where members have posted about roaming mobile data not working, and also reported the APN value was “3”, or “ID”.

Unfortunately, you can’t always access the APN value, which is the case for iPhone devices using an iD SIM card. It seems iD don’t allow user access to the APN settings on some handsets.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Rano 

Sorry to hear this, have you tried resetting network settings while roaming with your iD Mobile SIM card in your device?

With texts and calls working but not data roaming, the above typically helps.

Is your Wife on iD Mobile too or another network finding success?

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Moto_customer 

We have had a recent outage that may have affected roaming, we believe services are back up and running, it may be worth rebooting your device to test, or even resetting your network settings;

For iPhone;

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

For Android;

Settings > System > Reset options > Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth

Resetting network settings will NOT reset any personal data (Photos, Videos, Contacts etc) only network settings.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Thank you all for your suggestion and input.  Unfortunately, my problem with EU data roaming remains unresolved.

ID Live Chat have escalated my problem as a complaint now.  They want me to ring back a 0800 number but I can't get through - says not allowed.  I am in Portugal at the moment.  I am between the rock and hard place.  If I start a yet another live chat - it takes so much time repeating the same thing again and again.  If ID customer could give me a call - that would be so much easier.

I don't think it is an APN problem because my wife's ID SIM works fine on my mobile including dara roaming.  Itis simply so frustrating when you need to use the data in EU.  My ID mobile data worked fine in the UK.  It did not work in Ireland too.  Just the roaming data is not working.

ID Mobile - can you please give me a call on my registered number and help me to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hey @Rano, if you use Facebook Messenger or X DM to message iD customer service privately, you won’t need to input same details each time you contact them about the same issue.

You can’t call UK 0800 numbers from abroad.

Have you checked the APN settings with your iD SIM in your phone? 
Does your iD SIM work in your wife’s phone?

Userlevel 1

Hi Andewhite, my sim does not work in my wife's phone either but her ID Sim works on mine.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Maybe you’ve got a faulty iD SIM card, @Rano.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Rano,

It may be worth trying a replacement SIM card.

You can collect a SIM from Curry’s or we can get one sent out to you.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?