Question

Text message charges on sim only

• 9 January 2024
  • 4 replies

I am almost on a daily basis being charged £1.50 for text messages for 88222 numbers even when on many of these dates I haven't received or sent any? I have removed my mobile number from websites that would send text alerts when ordering an item etc to help reduce these costs but I still seem to be billed almost daily when I'm not using texts, preferring to use WhatsApp or Messenger for communication with family and friends. Any advice as I can't seem to actually find how to talk to anyone at ID to discuss billing, best plan etc? Thanks in advance.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @LeanneR,

Welcome to the Community!

Premium SMS aren’t something that we can cancel from a network end.

We would advise texting STOP to the number or contacting the company directly.

If you have any issues with cancelling it please visit https://psauthority.org.uk/For-Consumers/Contact-Us.

As per the PSA website the information below may help:

Can I stop the charges for a phone-paid service?
Yes, you can text the service provider to stop charges, but don't just hit reply. Text 'STOP ALL' to the number which they give you.

I’ve been charged unexpectedly, can I get a refund?
If you believe you have been charged for a phone-paid service and are entitled to a refund, talk to the service provider who charged you in the first instance. Ask them for proof of purchase, message logs, promotional material or anything else that will show what service you used and paid for. 

If after speaking to the service provider you’re still unhappy with the outcome, speak to your mobile network provider who may be able to look into this for you or report your issue to us.

Can’t the PSA help me get a refund?
We are a regulator, not an ombudsman or arbitrator. We aren't here to take up individual cases. Instead, as a regulator we look at issues across the market; we constantly monitor the services in the market to make sure services are compliant with our Code of Practice and consumers are not harmed. Our rules make it very clear that:

• services must be transparent and priced clearly - it should be clear what you are buying
  • sign up to the service should be clear - you should not be misled into a purchase
  • your complaints must be resolved quickly and easily.  

If you used a phone-paid service that didn’t respect any of the rules above, you can report a service to us and we will look into it. We check every issue that you report to us and take action when we need to. Most of the time, we can solve the issue by talking to service providers. But sometimes a firmer approach is needed and that’s when we launch an investigation, issue fines, order refunds to be paid to eligible consumers or prohibit companies and individuals from operating in the market.  See here the latest companies we’ve investigated and taken to a Tribunal.

Kash

Thanks for your response but I haven't even received texts on 4/5 of the days this week that I have been charged for so I have no message to return with STOP ALL? My bill just increased daily by £1.50 and my last two month's bills have been ridiculously high. If this continues I will have no choice but to find another provider. Leanne

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks for your response but I haven't even received texts on 4/5 of the days this week that I have been charged for so I have no message to return with STOP ALL? My bill just increased daily by £1.50 and my last two month's bills have been ridiculously high. If this continues I will have no choice but to find another provider. Leanne

Can’t you send the text “STOP ALL” to 88222, @LeanneR

Have you contacted the PSA?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @LeanneR 

I’m sorry you feel that you’d want to leave iD Mobile for this, unfortunately this isn’t something we can stop on our side, we don’t control premium numbers, you may be able to put a bill cap on your account to stop (when put at £0) any extra charges that may be applied due to a premium number.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?