What's the difference between a plan change and an upgrade?

• 20 January 2020
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge

A plan change lets you choose a different monthly cost and set of allowances, without changing your handset.

An upgrade, on the other hand, gives you the opportunity of changing plan and getting a brand new handset.

Continue searching on our Community 

or

Speak to us on Live Chat.

11 replies

I changed my plan and today I received my SIM card through the post, I didn’t change my number just my plan ( no new handset I’m fine with the one I have just now) so I don’t need the SIM changed do I ? Just checking…☺️🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Katwumman 

As long as you’ve processed a plan change or an upgrade and not a new contract entirely the new SIM is just a precaution in case you’ve lost your existing one.

Tom

I’m on a 30 day SIM only plan and I want to change to a plan with more data. I’m not changing my phone.

Why are the data allowances better on SIM-only upgrades compared to simply changing my plan in the Account Management screen?

For example, my current plan is £5/mth with 1GB data. If I go for an “upgrade”, it’s still £5 but I get 2GB of data. Or for £6/mth it’s 5GB data as an upgrade, but 4GB if I use the switch plan option.

Do both options automatically send a new SIM or can I continue to use my existing iD SIM?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @JSM15 

Different methods of changing your plan (plan change or upgrade) will offer different plans.

A plan change wouldn’t send a SIM card, an upgrade may send a new SIM card, however wouldn’t be mandatory to use, this would be just in case and activated optionally.

Tom

My 24 month contract comes to an end on 21 August 23. I want to keep my phone , can i buy a new sim only deal with one month rolling contract AND keep my phone number? I am not interested in updrade deals as they offer only min 12 month contracts 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Mammu,

Welcome to the Community!

You can look at changing your plan instead as the length of the contract won’t be extended and you would keep the same number.

Kash

Hi, I’m brand new to ID Mobile and have taken out a 30-day monthly sim only plan. As luck would have it, I dropped my phone and broke the screen days after doing this, so am in the market for a new phone. I would like to stay with ID, so am wondering how to go about switching to a new contract. I think this is called an upgrade, but according to My Account I’m not eligible for an upgrade until Feb 2024 - message is below:

• It's too early for you to upgrade.

You haven't been with us long enough to upgrade. Your eligibility date is 15/03/2024.

So how do I get a new phone on a new contract and stay with ID? I haven’t yet ported in my number so this isn’t a concern but I want to use the same email address for my account going forward. thanks in advance!

@EdFletcher I’m in exactly the same boat as you: Have a 1-month rolling SIM contract but I get the same message when requesting Upgrade options to look at getting a new phone. This doesn’t make any sense to me as I’m not tied into a contract or still paying-off an existing contract phone. @iD Mobile can you explain the logic of this please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @EdFletcher 

Unfortunately you aren’t due an upgrade on a monthly rolling SIM only plan until at least 6 months into the plan, to stay on that account, you’d need to await until February.

Depending on how long you’ve had the plan, you may be able to make a return on your current iD Mobile plan and instead purchase a 24 month device plan, however this would incur another credit check and would be a new, completely separate account.

Tom

@Tom Crazy, so basically what you’re saying is that it’s easier to get a new contract, new phone and take your number with you to another operator than it is to stay with ID?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @DDaz,

If you wish to upgrade you would either need to wait for the upgrade date or alternative purchase a new plan which is subject to a credit check.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?