F.A.Q.

How much will I be charged for roaming?

• 7 May 2021
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge

How much you’re charged for using your phone abroad depends on which country you’re visiting. In some countries when you use your phone, calls, texts and data are included in your allowances. In other countries, you’ll be charged for making and receiving calls, sending and receiving texts and MMS, and using data.

When you enter a country, you’ll get a text message from us to let you know whether or not you’re in an inclusive roaming destination, and what sort of charges you might expect if you use your phone.

Where can I use inclusive roaming?

All iD Mobile plans come with inclusive roaming. This lets you roam like you’re at home in 50 destinations throughout the EU, EEA and beyond. Lean how inclusive roaming works here.

How does inclusive roaming work?

1. Check that roaming is enabled on your phone
    You can do this with the iD Mobile App or My Account online
  2. Head off on your travels
    Visit any of the 50 destinations listed above
  3. Use your phone like at home
    Minutes, text & data will come out of your allowance (subject to our fair usage and open data policies)

How much will I be charged for roaming in non-inclusive countries?

View a full list of our worldwide roaming charges.

How much will I be charged for roaming at sea?

If you’re going on a cruise, or taking a ferry on a journey like Dover to Calais, roaming charges could apply, even if you’re travelling between any of our ‘Inclusive Roaming’ countries.

Roaming charges at sea can be very expensive. This is because ferry and cruise operators often use their own phone network that’s operated via satellite. Connecting to a satellite network is much more expensive then connecting to a land operated network, so that’s why your usage at sea isn’t included as part of your Inclusive Roaming allowance.

When you’re at sea, we strongly recommend you don’t use your phone, and put it into flight mode until you get to shore. Some ferry and cruise operators offer Wi-Fi on board, and you can still connect to Wi-Fi when in flight-mode. Simply go into your settings and manually turn on Wi-Fi.

Here are the costs of roaming at sea for both Pay Monthly and Pay as you go customers:

Calls to UK £6 per minute
Calls to Ships, Ferries, Cruise Liners £6 per minute
Calls received £1.50 per minute
Texts to UK £1.20 per message
Texts to Ships, Ferries, Cruise Liners £1.20 per message
Picture message (MMS) sent £0.60 per message
Internet and Data £9.60 per MB

How much will I be charged for roaming on aeroplanes?

Some airlines are equipped with mobile networks, which means you can use your phone while flying. However, inflight roaming can be very expensive, even if you’re travelling between our ‘Inclusive Roaming’ countries.

When you’re in the air, we strongly recommend you don’t use your phone, and keep it in flight mode until you get land.

Here are the costs of inflight roaming for both Pay Monthly and Pay as you go customers:

Calls to UK £6 per minute
Calls to Airlines £6 per minute
Calls received £1.50 per minute
Texts to UK £1.20 per message
Texts to Ships, Ferries, Cruise Liners £1.20 per message
Picture message (MMS) sent £0.60 per message
Internet and Data £9.60 per MB

How do I control my charges while roaming?

To control your charges and ensure you’re not spending too much while roaming, you could setup a bill cap. Check out our handy bill capping guide below:

For more information on how to reduce or avoid roaming charges, click the link below:

Please familiarise yourself with our Roaming fair usage policy, as this may impact how much of your inclusive data allowance you can use for free when roaming. 

What do I do if I’m having roaming issues?

The first thing to check if you’re having problems using your phone abroad is that you have roaming enabled on your phone. There are a few other things you can check yourself before contacting us.

How do I connect to a network when I’m abroad?

If your phone isn’t automatically connecting to an international network, you can manually select a network on your handset. Please check our list of international network partners and choose the correct network for the country you’re in.

This topic has been closed for comments
Why iD Mobile?