Skip to main content
Solved

£5 charge for Roaming.

• 26 May 2024
  • 6 replies

Why have I been charged £5 for roaming in Ireland in my most recent bill? I have a 25 GB allowance and definitely did not go over it. I live in Belfast. 

6 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +7

Hi @Santos73,
Welcome to the Community!

Did you use your services whilst on a Ferry/boat etc?

If so you will be charged for roaming at sea.

However please get back to us with further information and we can assist further.

Kash

Userlevel 1

No not been on a boat or ferry. Just using data which was within my allowance.

Got through to customer service. That can’t explain why the charge was applied but will refund. Told me a have to set my bill cap to £0 - this should prevent in future but means I can’t make calls while in Ireland.

Not exactly a great response as I don’t want to have to contact customer service every month. Bit disappointed with ID service and coverage in general. Was with Smarty and they run a very slick operation. Don’t just buy based on cost!!

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

Not exactly a great response as I don’t want to have to contact customer service every month. Bit disappointed with ID service and coverage in general. Was with Smarty and they run a very slick operation. Don’t just buy based on cost!!

Have you saved much by switching from SMARTY to iD Mobile, @Santos73

The iD Mobile inclusive roaming mobile data allowance is much more generous, but otherwise costs seems broadly comparable.

Userlevel 1

I got the phone at a good deal but but more expensive for calls and data. Not much but service while roaming is not as good. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

Okay, thanks @Santos73.

Yeah, I guess as SMARTY don’t offer handset contracts / plans, for handset + plan you do need to look elsewhere. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +7

Hi @Santos73,

Have you checked your coverage at the link below:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/coverage

Coverage abroad can vary depending on the level of coverage our network partners provide.

Kash