Skip to main content
Solved

Roaming Abroad - Travelling for 3 months in Europe

• 28 May 2024
  • 7 replies

Hi, I’m going travelling in Europe for 3 months and am concerned about roaming.

I’m aware that we have up to 30gb free, but does anyone know the time frame in which this renews? Is it monthly with our bill? Or does it depend on when you enter the UK again? In which case I would need to make 30gb last me 3 months it seems.

I’m also travelling to Switzerland, which I’m aware isn’t covered in the free 50 locations, does anyone have any advice on what I should do here?

Thanks

7 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

It depends on the amount of time spent roaming in EU destinations in any given 4-month period, @Shell Rowe

You need to spend more time, in any given 4-month period, in the UK than EU roaming, in order to keep your 30GB/month data allowance. 

Maybe get a data-only eSIM to use in Switzerland, from airalo, GoMoWorld, Holafly, UPeSIM, etcetera - assuming your handset has eSIM capability.

It depends on the amount of time spent roaming in EU destinations in any given 4-month period, @Shell Rowe

You need to spend more time, in any given 4-month period, in the UK than EU roaming, in order to keep your 30GB/month data allowance. 

Maybe get a data-only eSIM to use in Switzerland, from airalo, GoMoWorld, Holafly, UPeSIM, etcetera - assuming your handset has eSIM capability.

Thank you for your response and advice! 

This is such a shame then and not really what ID mobile advertise. My partner and I actually decided to go with them because of the 30gb free abroad and now we don’t think we’ll be able to use it. Wish we had gone with another provider.

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

This is such a shame then and not really what ID mobile advertise. My partner and I actually decided to go with them because of the 30gb free abroad and now we don’t think we’ll be able to use it. Wish we had gone with another provider.

Curious to know who you’ll use instead, @Shell Rowe

All the UK providers appear to have fair usage conditions, and restrictions on the amount of time you’re able to use your UK allowances when roaming, in a so-called inclusive destination. 

Curious to know who you’ll use instead, @Shell Rowe

All the UK providers appear to have fair usage conditions, and restrictions on the amount of time you’re able to use your UK allowances when roaming, in a so-called inclusive destination. 

Anyone else to be honest 😅

It’s more to do with how extortionate the charges are out outside of that allowance. I don’t need to worry with other networks because I know they will only charge me £2-5 a day for usage if worst comes to worst, but with ID Mobile I could accidentally spend hundreds on data.

As someone who travels and works from their phone I need to be connected, and the 30gb deal sounded great but I didn’t know it came with other caveats before I signed my contract!

Thank you for your suggestion of the eSIM though because this will help!

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

Okay @Shell Rowe, just use the bill cap feature of your iD account to prevent £1,000’s of charges, whenever you’re roaming in a destination country not including in EU roaming.

Userlevel 8
Badge +7

Hi @Shell Rowe,

Welcome to the Community!

If you wish to avoid any charges after you have used your inclusive allowance you can set your cap to £0 or whatever you want the max to be.

By setting a cap you know you’ll only be charged a certainly amount.

Kash

Userlevel 2

Curious to know who you’ll use instead, @Shell Rowe

Anyone else to be honest 😅

It’s more to do with how extortionate the charges are out outside of that allowance. I don’t need to worry with other networks because I know they will only charge me £2-5 a day for usage if worst comes to worst, but with ID Mobile I could accidentally spend hundreds on data.

As someone who travels and works from their phone I need to be connected, and the 30gb deal sounded great but I didn’t know it came with other caveats before I signed my contract!

Thank you for your suggestion of the eSIM though because this will help!

Those networks that charge £2-5 per day still apply the same fair use policies and data limits over time. They’re not for use long term outside the UK. So you’d be charged both a daily fee, then a surcharge for over-roaming (or cut off) and a further surcharge if you went over a data limit.

You’d also be charged that fee every single day of your trip as well. So at 90 days you’re looking at a minimum of £180 at £2 a day.

I would just use it up until you get a text saying you’ve gone over, then pick up a local SIM or eSIM. These are very cheap in most of Europe.