Skip to main content
Solved

Roaming in Germany

• 26 June 2024
  • 8 replies

Hello,

I have had a SIM only deal with ID Mobile since June 2022. I use the SIM in my iPad and it has worked well for me in the UK and when I have traveled in Europe in the last couple of years.

I am currently on another European trip. We took the ferry to The Netherlands and when we arrived my SIM had no service. The next day I fiddled with the settings and manually connected to one of the available Dutch networks (‘KNVB’ I believe?), which immediately restored my service.

We later drove on to Germany and, shortly after crossing the border, my SIM stopped working again. Trying to repeat the same trick, I have tried to manually connect to each of the available networks (being ‘o2 - de’, ‘Vodafone.de’ and ‘Telekom Deutschland GER’), but have not had any luck with any of them and therefore am still only able to use my iPad where Wi-Fi is available.

Given that I was able to connect in The Netherlands only a few days ago, I am assuming that my ID Mobile settings for roaming are correct, but don’t know why it is not allowed me to connect here in Germany?

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Many thanks,

Ben.

8 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

Maybe double-check the mobile data APN value is “id” (in lowercase), @benjo_78

The iD Mobile roaming partners in Germany are supposed to be O2 and Telekom (formerly T-Mobile).

Maybe double-check the mobile data APN value is “id” (in lowercase), @benjo_78

The iD Mobile roaming partners in Germany are supposed to be O2 and Telekom (formerly T-Mobile).

Thanks @andewhite - I have double-checked and that was the APN value I already had, but still no luck with being able to connect… 😔

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

Have you tried a NETWORK RESET, @benjo_78

The iPadOS user guide should cover the reset procedures. 

Sadly it is still not working for me, despite me trying that as well. Not sure why this problem has arisen in Germany when it’s previously been fine in other European countries?

Thanks for your help though.

Have you tried a NETWORK RESET, @benjo_78

The iPadOS user guide should cover the reset procedures. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

Unfortunately @benjo_78, seems like sometimes roaming partner networks ‘think’ iD Mobile is Three UK, instead of iD Mobile. 

While the iD Mobile network partner is Three UK (for mobile network infrastructure), they operate their own virtual mobile network.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hey there @benjo_78, welcome to Community!

Sorry to hear you’ve had issues roaming in Germany. If you’re still abroad, we’d recommend contacting our live-chat ASAP to have this investigated:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/live-chat

If not, we’d recommend contacting via Facebook, Twitter/X or live-chat in the future right away so our teams can raise this to our technical team to investigate further for you.

Thanks,

Tyler

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

Hey @Tyler, just wondering about this - are you eligible for help & support when you’re using your iD SIM in an Apple iPad (with cellular capability)?

Previously, iD Mobile policy was your iD SIM had to be used in a mobile phone, to qualify for help & support.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hey there @andewhite, thank you for your question and apologies for the delay in responding.

As far as I’m aware, if you’re a customer of ours, then of course we’d do anything to assist further, where you’re using your SIM in a phone or another device. Of course, when outside a handset device supported by us, then we don’t support cellular capabilities at this point in time, so if there’s an issue with that, that a customer has, there’s of course limited support we can provide. However, we’ll always do the upmost we can to provide assistance in the best way possible, and however we can.

Thank you,

Tyler