Skip to main content
Solved

Unable to use 4G/5G in Switzerland

• 11 July 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi

I had problems accessing my data when in Switzerland. I carried out all of the steps recommended in various feeds while connecting to WiFi at Geneva airport, but even though my phone showed as having 4G, I was not able to use my data, which was a huge panic as I needed to use the navigation. I was there for a week and did not manage to resolve the issues. How do I use data in Switzerland? Will I have this same issue when I go to Italy later this month?
Thanks, Mallory

3 replies

Userlevel 3

Hi there!

As Switzerland isn’t considered EU, it isn’t covered by EU roaming which means you will get extra charges. 

If your data doesn’t work, make sure your spend cap is high enough or off to cover data usage.

If that still doesn’t work, do a manual search of networks and try connect to all the networks and see which one works well with data. The networks available are: Swisscom, Sunrise and Salt.

Let me know the results!

Hi there! I did make sure that my spend cap wasn’t at 0 and tried all of the networks with no luck. I did get charged £2.40 for a 1 second call to voicemail, so something was working, but I just could not access the data. I am not in Switzerland any more, so cannot test now.

Thanks

Userlevel 8
Badge +7

Hi @Mallory Gough,

Welcome to the Community!

Did you try all the network partners to check if data worked with any of those?

You would also need to ensure roaming was enabled on the handset and your iD Mobile account.

Kash