Skip to main content
Solved

Using data abroad

• 1 June 2024
  • 5 replies

I am travelling to Dublin, Belfast, Porto, Croatia and Greece in the next month for work and holiday. I have data roaming turned on. Is there anything else I need to do or will the data automatically be available in those countries when I arrive ?  Reason I ask is that I’ve been abroad before with data roaming turned on and it’s not worked and I’ve had to get e-SIMs. Am I missing something ?  Thank you. 

5 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

One reason it may not work is the handset gets an incorrect APN value, when connecting to an iD roaming partner network.

The correct APN value is “id”, in lowercase, @Buffers75.

Sometimes performing a NETWORK RESET on your device will fix the problem. Calls and SMS should work regardless.

Userlevel 1

Many thanks @andewhite I will give that a try next week and update on here 👍

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Hi @Buffers75 

I’d recommend the same above as @andewhite, as well as this handy page for roaming advise.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/roaming-advice

Tom

Userlevel 1

I’ve followed all the instructions but I don’t get the option to add the APN information and nor can ID mobile send me the config settings as my device is not setup to receive them. I have an iPhone 11 so quite old now. Randomly in Porto my 4G didn’t work for data until I was at the airport ready to fly back to the UK 🤦‍♂️. 
I think I may have to buy an eSIM from Roamless or similar for my trip to Croatia and Greece. 

Thanks for all the info. At least I guess I know now I have tried everything. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Hi @Buffers75 

I’m sorry to hear that, resetting network settings typically helps in setting the correct APN settings, if you aren’t able to change them manually which we appreciate may not be changeable.

Tom