F.A.Q.

What is Mobile Data and how can I control my usage?

• 19 March 2020
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Whether you’re streaming YouTube or scrolling through social media, you’ll be using data. But what is it, how do we measure it and what do you need to know?

What is Mobile Data?

Mobile data is what allows your phone to connect to the internet when you’re not connected to Wi-Fi. You can use it to browse the internet, download music or videos and run apps while you’re on the go. 

How is Mobile Data measured?

Data is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB), and gigabytes (GB). A byte is one unit of data, with 1,024 bytes equaling a kilobyte, 1,024 kilobytes equaling a megabyte, and 1,024 megabytes equaling a gigabyte. Data usage is tracked in KB, with both upstream (sending) and downstream (receiving) data contributing to your total usage.

How does iD Mobile calculate how much Mobile Data is used? 

We use an Online Charging System (OCS) which measures how much data you use. When you try to use data on your phone, your device will seek permission from our OCS. This starts a data session which is then charged according to what kind of plan you have. Your data session may run out if you’ve used up your allowance or reached your bill cap. Data charges are based on both upstream and downstream data. Because of this, there may be times when your device uses some data we can’t measure. This means that your device may give a different reading of how much data you’ve used.

How do I get more Mobile Data?

You can easily buy data add-ons using your iD Mobile app or My Account online. These can be bought as and when you need them, and will activate once your monthly allowance and Data Rollover is used up. Alternatively, you may be eligible for a Plan Change or an Upgrade. Check out our Plans & Upgrades articles with everything you need to know.

Please note: Add-ons cannot be backdated or used to cover past usage. If you go over your allowance, you will be charged at our out-of-bundle rates until you buy your add-on.

How can I control my Mobile Data usage?

1. Enabling “Low Data Mode’.

Using ‘Low Data Mode’ can help reduce your data usage by limiting background activity and automatic updates. Here’s how to enable it on different phones: 

iPhone

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Tap Cellular.
  3. Select Cellular Data Options.
  4. Enable Low Data Mode.

Samsung

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Tap Connections.
  3. Select Data Usage.
  4. Tap on Data Saver and toggle it on.

Most other Android phones

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Tap Network & Internet.
  3. Select Data Saver.
  4. Toggle Data Saver on.

1. Use streaming services with offline options.

Many of us now enjoy our entertainment through apps like Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, Spotify, and Apple Music. These services are perfect for staying entertained on your commute, a run, or even in the bathroom. Did you know you don’t need to be connected to 4G or WiFi to enjoy your favorite shows or music? These apps now offer an ‘Offline’ feature, letting you download content to your device for later viewing or listening without a signal. Just connect to WiFi, open the app, find the content you want, and download it. Visit the websites of these services to learn more about their ‘Offline Mode’.

1. Set a Bill Cap.

Bill Capping is a money-saving feature on all iD Mobile plans. It lets you limit your monthly spend to an amount that works for you. Simply set your Bill Cap in the iD Mobile app to limit additional charges and we won't charge you more than the amount you set as your Bill Cap. Find out more.

Which sites and apps don’t use up your Mobile Data?

Some sites and services are “free rated” for data, meaning that you can use them without being charged for data – but these won’t work if you’re using a VPN. These include:

• acs4.3dsecure.no
  • clicksafe.lloydstsb.com
  • idmobile.co.uk
  • media.secure-mobiles.com
  • mycardsecure.com
  • pp2.cxmlpg.com
  • secure5.arcot.com
  • secure6.arcot.com
  • secure7.arcot.com
  • secure.barclaycard.co.uk
  • safekey.americanexpress.com
  • securesuite.co.uk