Will Wi-Fi Calling be available on any other smartphones soon?

• 20 January 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge

We're adding new smartphones all the time. Keep an eye on this page, because we'll update it every time a new handset gets Wi-Fi Calling.

6 replies

Hi,
I have a Sony XZ1 Compact that can do wifi calling and is on the latest version of android sony have allowed.
Will wifi calling work? you don’t list the phone as having the feature even though it does exist in the settings. Do iD provision the service if requested?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello @r.and.all,

Only phones on our Compatible list are the ones we’ve signed off to say would work.

There are some phones that are WiFi Compatible via the manufacturer and users have managed to get WiFi Calling to work for them but this can be lost with an update etc.

@Gregor perhaps there’s anything you can add to this?

Mohammed

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hey @r.and.all and @Mohammed 

I had this phone in the past and I managed to get WiFi Calling to work by flashing newest system from o2. I did it using flashtool and xperifirm. Any other versions, like Clear UK, Vodafone, Three or EE weren't compatible with WiFi Calling provided by iD Mobile. 

Let me know @r.and.all if you are feeling comfortable with flashing new system into your phone and I will provide you with links for step by step guides how to do it. Bare in mind that it will involve Unlocking Bootloader which will void your warranty if you still have any left. Also if anything goes wrong you can brick your phone. That's why I need you to be comfortable with the process because it is kind of risky. 

Kind Regards

Gregor

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello @r.and.all,

Adding to this, Flashing is something we do not recommend at iD Mobile. @Gregor has attempted this out of his own will and is knowledged in the area.

Mohammed

Hi,

I cold do this but Id rather not as I think it stops some thing like banking apps from running.

I have an unlocked straight from sony Firmware, so its annoying they didnt bother to enable the feature.

Looking for a new phone soon so will look for one with wifi calling enabled.

Out of interest do iD do femtocells? As I find wifi calling can sound awful sometimes.

Oh also, is there no way iD can “provision the service” as mentioned in this post?

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/XZ-products/Wifi-calling/m-p/1361024#gref

If Voda can send a magic packet to enable why can’t iD is it because they are not 3?

L