Skip to main content

Rant alert!

Summary: ID mobile security is not existent. My phone number was stolen!

Yesterday at 09:24 I got a txt message to say a SIM activation was in process. I was unable to log into the account to deny it was me, I thought I would try again later as I was busy with work.

Later that day I realised my phone signal was gone and only working from WiFi, checking my emails I can see that someone has reset my Amazon, PayPal and email account with my phone number so I was logged out! They were also able to work out my bank details from the accounts to try and access online banking. 

I managed to briefly get access to my accounts by using a recovery email, they then again kicked me out with the mobile phone number for password recovery method.

I set up a live chat with ID mobile around 5pm and they advised me the phone number had been stopped, and to get another SIM, I opted to go to Currys and pick one up before the shut at 8pm. But they were still able to get access to my accounts. The phone number I kept trying over night and it was still ringing so I called the automated phone and reported by phone stolen. I've been up until 4am this morning trying to get access to my accounts and get control.

After 2 hours sleep, at 6am I rang my number and it was still connecting so I made another live chat to try and stop the number, this time they were successful and shortly after the number was going to voicemail. (Not 100% proof that the number was blocked I admit), at the same time they activated my SIM from Currys as I don't have access to my account (same as a lot of people right now). 

After an hour still nothing. So another live chat and. After a while we were able to get my number back (thank F##k) but still unable to get onto my account.

I'm currently sat in fear my number will be taken again. As I still don't have access to my account or a personal email as i reached the recover email limits. And I've lost 2 days work as a result of dealing with this.

I am beyond angry with ID mobile, as I don't believe I've been an victim of phishing (but I could be wrong). How can someone just take my number?!!!! There was no verification by me either with my phone number or email to port it.

Hi @Rab444 

I’m sorry to hear this, while we do take every security measure we can to ensure this doesn’t happen, we cannot unfortunately stop everything.

We’d recommend ensuring passwords and passcodes are up to date, unique and not shared elsewhere.

Should anything like this ever happen, please get in touch.

Tom

Same thing  has happened to me nightmare how are they able to just take your number I too had sim activation. PayPal hacked.

I don’t have a working phone 

Hi @Emma Morris,

Sorry to hear about this.

Have you contact somebody already regarding this?

If you still require assistance, please let us know.

Kash

Have have been with ID for only 4 months and tonight for the second time in 2 months my account has been hacked due to poor account security. Hackers added an email contact address to m account . Have requested an eSIM again same as last month. Have taken my number AGAIN, all security info was changed after the first time. How are ID allowing this to happen, starting to think there are problems at their call centre or somewhere else in their organisation, consulting legal advice tomorrow just want out of the contract and away from ID

I too had my ID mobile hacked - thief then got into my account taking my number . I want out of ID mobile. I can’t see a number to ring to complain and cancel my contract

Number is 08000491300

Hey there @Kenneth Lawler, we’re very sorry to hear this.

Please contact our live-chat to have the new SIM card blocked and a new SIM card sent out and to have this reported as fraud.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/live-chat

Hey @Emma Morris, we’re sorry to hear you’ve also been a victim of fraud. Please follow the above and contact our live-chat, or I see you’ve mentioned you couldn’t find a complaints team phone number, so you can also reach them on 0800 049 2402.

Thank you,

Tyler