Skip to main content
Solved

Cancelling a SIM only contract - Currently Paying two separate DD's

Hi,

I made the mistake of opening a new SIM only, 12 month contract instead of changing my plan to a lower price at the end of the contracted period.

I have now managed to change my plan to £8 pm but I am also paying £12 pm for an unactivated SIM card. 

How do I cancel this SIM contract without paying a penalty? Should I just cancel the DD?

12 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

Unfortunately @Joe H, when you cancel an iD Mobile minimum term contract within the minimum term, there’s an early termination fee due. 

Cancelling the DD doesn’t cancel an iD contract, only the payment method for given contract.

FYI, an iD contract without a payment method could fall into arrears, and any missed payments would be recorded on your credit file.

Userlevel 1

Thank you but couldn’t I explain that it was a genuine error and have ID Mobile cancel it? They will be able to see that the existing contract has been upgraded.

Userlevel 1

The SIM is unactivated too.

Userlevel 1

Do you know what the penalty charges are? It might work out cheaper to pay the penalty than continue paying. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

There’s a 30-day cooling-off period for online purchases, @Joe H. Maybe get a return authorisation for the unwanted plan.

Text “INFO” to 85075 to get the early termination fee - you may need to provide some verification. 

Userlevel 1

I’ve found details of the ID Mobile early termination fee and it appears to be a matter of paying for the rest of the contract in one go!

If you cancel a contract before your agreement ends, you’ll need to pay an early termination fee. The fee is based on your monthly plan charge and the time left on your contract and can be calculated as follows:

Full Monthly line rental charge x remaining contract length (days)

Is that correct?

Userlevel 1

Thanks again Ande. 

I’m presuming you would need to text from the SIM you want to cancel but it hasn’t been activated.

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

Thanks again Ande. 

I’m presuming you would need to text from the SIM you want to cancel but it hasn’t been activated.

Correct @Joe H - but, if the iD SIM hadn’t been activated you wouldn’t be getting charged. 

Customers getting a new network connection (i.e. new iD contract) receive an ACTIVE iD SIM, which is ready to use upon receipt.

Userlevel 1

Ok, so it looks like it was an Active ID Sim because I am being charged. I do have two account numbers. 

So should I just put the SIM into my phone and text from there or is it better to set up a new online account for the SIM only account and cancel it from there?

Sorry that I am so clueless.

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

Ok, so it looks like it was an Active ID Sim because I am being charged. I do have two account numbers. 

So should I just put the SIM into my phone and text from there or is it better to set up a new online account for the SIM only account and cancel it from there?

Sorry that I am so clueless.

IMO, it’d be easier to put the unwanted iD SIM in a handset and then text “INFO” to “85075”, @Joe H.  

Userlevel 1

Many thanks.👍

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hey there @Joe H, welcome to Community!

Were you able to resolve your issue with us please?

Thanks,

Tyler