Skip to main content
Solved

Data available but cannot access

I am in France, and I have plenty of data, and I am within my roaming abroad and fair usage restrictions - ID have confirmed this. There is no problem with my iPhone - Apple have confirmed this. BUT whilst I can still make calls I cannot access the internet even though I have bars showing good signal strength and 4G. I had used the SIM on and off in a TPLink router and it worked fine on several occasions but suddenly the router stopped accessing  the internet, even though the internet symbol was still showing and the TPlink management system says there is an internet connection. Taking the SIM out of the router and putting it in another phone (not mine) made no difference. I have raised this TWICE with ID live chat and TWICE they have “referred” it upwards - but I’ve heard nothing since. I think I should ask for a replacement SIM card as it seems to me that logically it must be the SIM card that has got damaged somehow (although it still works for calls). Any suggestions before I do this?

16 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

If calls + texts work in France, but roaming data isn’t working, then perhaps the mobile data APN value is incorrect, @Sailor Bob

Maybe double-check the mobile data APN value is “id” (in lowercase), or try a NETWORK RESET on the phone with the iD SIM.

Thanks! Can you tell me where to check it? ID gave me the APN settings with instructions on how to access, but the options they gave me to select do not appear on my phone, an iPhone SE 2022 model. This is what they told me to do but I do not get the Mobile Data Network option and it’s subcategories.

1. Tap Settings > Mobile Data.
  2. Tap Mobile Data Options. 
  3. Tap Mobile Data Network. 
  4. Under the Mobile Data section, in the APN field, enter id
  5. Scroll down to MMS and tap APN
  6. Type the following information into the listed fields and leave everything else blank
    • APN: id
    • MMSC: http://mms.um.idmobile.co.uk:10021/mmsc
      MMS Proxy field: mms.idmobile.co.uk:8799
    • MMS Max Message Size: 307200
  7. Press the left arrow at the top of the screen 3 times. 
  8. Press the Home button. 
  9. To make sure these settings have worked, look next to your signal bars. If you see 4G or 3G, you're now connected.

And I’ve done several Network Resets 😀

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

I think the “Mobile Data Network” option will only appear when flight mode is off and mobile data turned on, @Sailor Bob.

FYI, the iD roaming partners in France are BYTEL or BOUYGTEL, Free Mobile, and Orange.

Thanks, but no, not available with Flight Mode off and Mobile Data on. I can choose:

>Settings

>>Mobile Service

Then choice of options are:

> Mobile Data (which is ON)

> Mobile Data Options (which is Roaming On)

> Personal Hotspot (which is Off)

(Then it shows ID greyed out)

> Network Selection (which shows Orange F)

> WiFi Calling (which is on)

> Network Provider Services >
> SIM PIN >

I assumed the Network Provider Services option would get me to what I needed but it just gives me the ID voicemail number.

Would requesting a replacement SIM be the solution? I have a friend coming to visit us in France in a couple of weeks so I could get one sent to him for him to bring over.

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

Well @Sailor Bob, a replacement SIM might help, but the setting options you're looking for probably aren’t accessible on your iPhone when it’s using an iD SIM.

I suspect the “Mobile Data Network” option is enabled / disabled by the carrier (iD Mobile), in the network profile they provide for an iPhone. 

This setting is available with other UK carriers.

And yet - it was ID who told me to access the options and do the changes! Left hand/right hand springs to mind.

There is no way to contact them other than via live chat - I despair of getting any solution to this and it has rendered my phone useless to all intents and purposes. If an ID person is ‘monitoring’ this community message PLEASE sort this out 😩😩😩

Thanks for your responses.

I NOW find that this very same issue has been discussed over a year ago - and it IS the problem you identified: ID won’t allow access to make APN changes, unlike other network carriers, EVEN THOUGH it is what ID themselves told me what to do 😡

There is a workaround video posted, whether I dare follow it or not I’m not so sure … but what have I got to lose 🤔😏🤔

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

Yeah @Sailor Bob, unfortunately some of the advisers staffing iD Live Chat, sometimes seem to offer bad advice.

FYI, I’ve found speaking to iD support through their social media pages leads to a better experience. You can PM iD using Facebook Messenger, or X (formerly Twitter).

Thanks! I’ve sent a strongly worded message via my wife’s messenger account (I don’t use it or X). I did try the workaround given in the earlier post I found on this topic, but it was not possible to complete the final step as yet again one option was not available … ☹️

One further thought - presumably the APN settings are ‘hardwired’ into the ID Sim? So even though ‘network reset’ isn’t working, would a new Sim not just do the trick?

Managed to get a prompt response via Messenger! Felt like I was dealing with a real person and we quickly ‘cut to the chase’ rather than having to go through all the hoops again! Agreed a replacement Sim seems the logical conclusion - it was pointed out that ID don’t support the use of their Sims in routers, which I knew, but everyone does it 😏

Now I just have to go through the Live Chat hoops once more to order a replacement 😆

Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

Good to hear about your experience with iD support via social media, and I hope your replacement SIM cures the roaming data issues, @Sailor Bob

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hey there @Sailor Bob, welcome to Community!

We hope that the kind advice from @andewhite, and from our Messenger and live-chat team was able to resolve your issue for you!

If any issue persists, you know where to find us and we’re always happy to help via all our platforms however we can.

Thanks,

Tyler

Hi @Sailor Bob 

I have the same issue now in France… am wondering did the new SIM solve the issue?

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Hi @Fi455 

Sorry to hear this, has a network reset been tried?

Whilst in France, please could you try manually connecting to Orange, Free Mobile, BYTEL or BOUYGTEL?

Tom