Skip to main content
Solved

E-Sim for USA

• 24 July 2024
  • 5 replies

I have been advised i cannot use my ID Mobile data in the USA without being charged so am looking for what is a good E-Sim to buy. Also how does it work regarding Airplane mode etc as i wouldn't want to come off air plane mode and be charged anything but would also need to be off airplane mode for the  sim to work. Never used an E-Sim before so not sure how it works. I would still want to use my IDmobile sim when on wifi.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey @underzzzzzz,

You can leave your iD Mobile SIM on while in the USA to receive calls & texts. You can purchase a USA eSIM from various places (either in the UK or once you arrive at the airport), and you'll need to set it to be your default SIM for making Calls, sending Texts and using Data whilst in the US. I’d recommend setting a Bill Cap on your iD Mobile plan if you haven't already for peace of mind.

Thanks.

Once you buy an eSIM for the STATES and install it, how do you set it to be your default SIM on an iPhone 15 Pro.

I’ve just been on settings and can see my ID Mobile physical SIM.

once I buy and install the e-sim will an option appear to set an order of priority for SIMs?

I’m just worried I get to States and then find I’m stuck

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@PetesMob as soon as an eSIM is installed on the phone, you’ll be presented a screen to choose the default for Calls, Texts and Data. This Apple Support article might help:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/109317

Thanks.

Was in the States in June. Got stuck with no mobile/data service although I activated roaming. Did a data Add-On in my desperation which also didn't work and ID won't refund. A generous lady at the phone shop at Virginia Airport helped me out as airport wifi was down too. Got my phone working after a week or so. Interesting part - (a) received a call for 5mins, 9sec: £9, (b) called my UK desk phone to test my roaming was working, call duration on my bill is 2 secs: £6.

My advice - get cheaper sim from another provider if you can before you regret using roaming. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

If you do go abroad in the future @Not_Happy_ID - I’d recommend checking this page:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/international-and-roaming-charges

It breaks downs all the costs. Thanks.