Skip to main content

I assume this has to do with the 3G switchoff. 

I noticed on Friday that I cannot make or receive calls.

The phone is on iD’s approved list of handsets and I folowed the “3G is being switched off and I can't make calls. What do I need to do?” article and specifically “I’m using a Samsung Galaxy” but I still cannot make ore receive calls. Prior to that I restated the phone and checked for updates. When I dial out it says it is calling but then after a period of time the call just ends. I just took the SIM out and gave it a clean but that hasn’t helped. If I perform a Network Reset it then displays “4G” on the phone which it didn’t before but I still cannot make or receive calls.

Follow this guide here.

That is the guide I mentioned that I had already followed “and I followed the “3G is being switched off and I can't make calls. What do I need to do?” article “.

Since then I have put my iD Sim in another Samsung 4G enabled phone and I could make and receive calls. I then put that phones SIM in my phone and could also make and recieve phone calls.

That isn’t what I was expecting.

So it isn’t an issue with my SIM and it isn’t an issue with my phone but if the SIM is in my phone then I cannot make calls.

Since then I have put my iD Sim in another Samsung 4G enabled phone and I could make and receive calls. I then put that phones SIM in my phone and could also make and recieve phone calls.

That isn’t what I was expecting.

Was the other SIM also an iD Mobile SIM, @Horse38

Unfortunately the Samsung Galaxy J4 handset isn’t compatible with the iD VoLTE (4G Calling) and WiFi Calling services. 

See:

@andewhite No it was an EE SIM. When you say “ Samsung Galaxy J4 handset isn’t compatible with the iD VoLTE (4G Calling) and WiFi Calling services.” I assume you mean the  non-Plus model?

As mentioned I have a Samsung Galaxy J4 plus and it is on iD’s approved handset list:

Samsung Galaxy J4 Plus (2018) 4G (VoLTE) Calling  = Yes Wi-Fi Calling  = Yes

Ah, sorry.

Have you tried using the Google Assistant (by speech) to enable VoLTE on your Galaxy J4 Plus, @Horse38

@andewhite I hadn’t ever used that before but having done so it just takes me to a guide that tells me how to change my Network Mode so it uses 4G, but it was already set to that.

So currently on the phone it doesn’t explicity say “4G” for network connection but in “About Phone”, “Status” , “SIM card status” it says :

Mobile voice network type - 4G

Mobile data network type - 4G

Mobile network state - Disconnected

Service state - In service.

I perform a network reset, “Reset network settings” and now the network connection icon says “4G” and “Mobile network state” says “Connected”, the other values stay the same.

I try to make a phone call and it says “Calling….”.

The other phone or phones never ring and then on my phone it just ends the call.

Whereabouts did you purchase your Galaxy J4+, @Horse38

@andewhite  Carphone Warehouse though it is a hand me down phone so that was years ago. But as mentioned an EE SIM shows the VOLTE symbol and makes calls fine. I figured I would ask for a new iD SIM to be sent to me and try that next.

Okay @Horse38, years ago Carphone Warehouse sold network locked handsets, so your Galaxy J4+ might have a network branded version of Android, even though it is now network unlocked. 

Using a generic manufacturer version of Android (i.e. from Samsung), instead of a network branded version, can rectify issues with VoLTE and WiFi Calling.   

@Horse38 -

Sounds like your Firmware is EE, as @andewhite mentioned common with older locked phones. https://www.idmobile.co.uk/sim-free-phones is the best place to buy an Unlocked Phone compatible with our network.

Thanks.

It turned out to be the network not the phone. I read on 3’s website, the network iD mobile uses, about the 3G switchoff and that older 4G phones could also be affected. The fact my wifes EE sim worked in the phone and that doesn’t use the 3 network made me decide to try another network provider’s sim i.e. Lebara which uses Vodafone. Anyway I got the sim and the phone then worked. Not iD mobiles fault but I have now ported my number over to Lebara.It was that or get a new phone unfortunately.

Hi @Horse38 

I had the same problem with a SG J4+ and this is what you need to do to be able to use VoLTE/WiFi Calling with all networks the phone is compatible with.
https://community.idmobile.co.uk/ask%2Da%2Dquestion%2D18/just%2Dsome%2Dbasic%2Dquestions%2Dabout%2Dnew%2Dsim%2Dcard%2Dvolte%2Dupgrade%2D68606

This is easy to do but please do your own research if you want to move forward with flashing the phone.