Skip to main content
  • Issue: phone will not connect to network for sending/receiving calls
  • Google Pixel 3xl
  •  Signal is okay - 4G data connection is fine
  • Working fine for 4 years until today
  • Google phone software (latest) goes through the motions and shows “calling” (but no connection)
  • There are no “alerts” as to connection issue
  • Cannot receive calls
  • Have restarted phone and removed  (dusted) reinserted SIM
  • All other phone functions are as normal

Suggestions appreciated…  Thanks

Okay @usersmail, has an Android update broken the ability to make and receive calls? 

Apparently Android 14 has allegedly well documented problems with calling - does the iD WiFi Calling service work?

• Using Android 12
  • There was an Google phone update (installed) yesterday when issues started
  • WiFi calling is not supported on phone
  • 4G data connection works fine

Perhaps the Three UK 3G mobile network in your area has been just been shutdown, @usersmail

Three UK are closing their 3G network across the UK by end of 2024.  

Your Pixel 3XL doesn’t work with the iD 4G Calling service, which you’d need for calling after 3G shutdown.

..Your Pixel 3XL doesn’t work with the iD 4G Calling service, which you’d need for calling after 3G shutdown

• Thanks… Are you sure of that? The phone is only 4 years old!
  • As I mentioned, 4G data service is fine. And I’m showing a 2 bar, 4G connection to the local 3 mast. But no call connection inbound or outbound. That’s despite the Google  phone software showing “calling”.

Unfortunately @usersmail, the Pixel 3XL handset isn’t supported with the iD 4G Calling service, despite being only 4-years old. 

Check this online at https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/approved-handsets

Perhaps try Android 14 on your device, or rollback the Google Phone update?

Yes, you’re correct the Pixel xl it not shown as compatible with ID calling. As I’m only using a monthly SIM would you think changing the carrier might be a solution. I’m really not too keen on abandoning the Pixel xl (plus it was expensive)

You could switch to a service provider with a 2G network, @usersmail

EE, O2 and Vodafone currently operate 2G mobile networks - Three UK has never had a 2G network, hence the name.