Question

Keeping old SIM card without a contract for incoming calls only

Userlevel 1

Hi - I had my number from EE ported to ID when I bought a new phone with them.  I didn’t like the phone so returned it minus the sim card.  I bought a new phone which had a different contract so was sent a new sim.  I wanted to transfer my old number again to the new sim but was told you can’t do that from 2 ID mobile sims.

I decided that I’ll jsut continue giving out my old number as it’s really easily remembered, ie consecutive numbers (I’m getting on as well).  Anyway,  I jsut haven’t put any credit on the old sim as it’s purely for receiving calls.  I’d prefer if ID could jsut change my number but that’s not happening anytime soon if at all.  Is it possible that as I’m not paying anything they will remove my original number and put it out for distribution?

9 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi - I had my number from EE ported to ID when I bought a new phone with them.  I didn’t like the phone so returned it minus the sim card.  I bought a new phone which had a different contract so was sent a new sim.  I wanted to transfer my old number again to the new sim but was told you can’t do that from 2 ID mobile sims.

I decided that I’ll jsut continue giving out my old number as it’s really easily remembered, ie consecutive numbers (I’m getting on as well).  Anyway,  I jsut haven’t put any credit on the old sim as it’s purely for receiving calls.  I’d prefer if ID could jsut change my number but that’s not happening anytime soon if at all.  Is it possible that as I’m not paying anything they will remove my original number and put it out for distribution?

That’s certainly possible, @Melody West

If there is no chargeable activity for your iD SIM, which is on a PAYG plan, then the number could be recycled by iD for another customer to use.

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your reply.

A lot of ppl are gonna get a lot of calls to that number!  i just don’t understand why i can’t just port it to my new phone.  It’s the same company, I just don’t get it.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thank you for your reply.

A lot of ppl are gonna get a lot of calls to that number!  i just don’t understand why i can’t just port it to my new phone.  It’s the same company, I just don’t get it.

Unfortunately @Melody West, the OFCOM rules for mobile number portability mean a PAC can only be used for switching mobile numbers between different service providers. 

Just switch the mobile number you want keep to another service provider, and then once that’s completed simply switch (number you want to keep) back to your ‘new’ iD account.

Userlevel 1

Good idea, thank you.  I was told that if I switch it to another provider for the second time I could lose it altogether.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Good idea, thank you.  I was told that if I switch it to another provider for the second time I could lose it altogether.

Ah, okay @Melody West. That seems an odd statement from iD Mobile, and not consistent with the OFCOM rules about UK mobile number portability.

FYI, I’ve used a PAC to switch between service providers numerous times, and on each occasion have kept my mobile number. I’ve also switched from iD Mobile to another provider, and then back to iD Mobile, without losing the number I wanted to keep.

Userlevel 1

Yes, I thought so too.  Here is the chat message - wait no, it’s disappeared now but anyway.  The wording was quite strong saying that this COULD result in the number being lost.  So, now I’ve ordered a basic sim from EE which will only cost me if I make calls or send texts, but that’s fine cos I have my ID sim which is on a really good contract. 

Once I get the sim from EE I’ll port my old number from ID (the one I want to keep ) over to EE, then, apparently, I’ll need to wait 2 months before then trying to port it over to my ID contract sim.

Simples really, (not really, but doable).

Thank you for your help @andewhite :)

Userlevel 1

Ah, okay @Melody West. That seems an odd statement from iD Mobile, and not consistent with the OFCOM rules about UK mobile number portability.

FYI, I’ve used a PAC to switch between service providers numerous times, and on each occasion have kept my mobile number. I’ve also switched from iD Mobile to another provider, and then back to iD Mobile, without losing the number I wanted to keep.

I think it’s because I ported my old number to them then changed contract and got a different phone as it was under 2 weeks so when I got my current phone with the new contract, the old sim was already with ID Mobile and that was the sticking point.  I’ve asked at least 3 times now but they are insistent that you can’t change one ID Mobile number to another ID Mobile number.  So they switched the old number to a payg sim but obviou8sly, I don’t wanna pay for a payg as I’ll only be receiving calls with it.  The deal is pretty good at 40p per minute calls and 25p for text messages and no other fees but I’m not gonna use it for any of that as I have my ID contract.

It really confuses people when I ring/text them with that number though.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yes, I thought so too.  Here is the chat message - wait no, it’s disappeared now but anyway.  The wording was quite strong saying that this COULD result in the number being lost.  So, now I’ve ordered a basic sim from EE which will only cost me if I make calls or send texts, but that’s fine cos I have my ID sim which is on a really good contract. 

Once I get the sim from EE I’ll port my old number from ID (the one I want to keep ) over to EE, then, apparently, I’ll need to wait 2 months before then trying to port it over to my ID contract sim.

Thank you for your help @andewhite :)

Waiting for 2-months sounds like complete nonsense, @Melody West

The OFCOM rules do not have restrictions on how long you need to wait before porting your number back to a service provider.

The only restrictions would be how long it takes EE to provide a PAC for the number you want to keep, which might be a few days at most.

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your help @andewhite :)

Waiting for 2-months sounds like complete nonsense, @Melody West

The OFCOM rules do not have restrictions on how long you need to wait before porting your number back to a service provider.

The only restrictions would be how long it takes EE to provide a PAC for the number you want to keep, which might be a few days at most.

Thanks for that info.  I will try as soon as I can after putting the old number on the new EE sim card then