Skip to main content

I traded in a fully functional device for the pixel 9 pro £200 trade in, and received an email saying the device had screen burn and because of this they would only offer a fraction of the device's value, £10 instead of £100.

The device does not have screen burn, and was fully functional on sending. The email did not provide any proof that the device has screen burn. A quick Google shows many other people trading in their fully functional phones with ID through Carphone Warehouse, saying the same thing.This is the second time I've been screwed over by an ID promotion, first with their Currys gift card promotion, which they did not honour as per terms, and I'm severely disappointed. Will not be returning once my contract has ended this time around.

My question is, if I accept this trade in for £10, which I'm sure won't be budged on even though it's a fully functional device, will I still receive my extra promotional value, or will ID find a way to get out of that too? Can someone from ID Mobile please confirm that for me?

For anyone reading this who are considering this network, be warned. Other networks are more expensive than ID, but ID makes up for that difference with their shady business practices and almost non existent customer support.

Hi @legerdemain 

Unfortunately screen burn is a very hard thing to see if you’re not looking for it, as the engineers are looking at your device deeper than it likely has been looked at before, they’re more likely to find something like this.

You should still be eligible for the promotional amount.

I’m sorry you feel this is “shady”, if your device is found to be damaged (and therefore classed as “non-working”), the value would be reduced, that’s normal.

Tom

It's also a very easy and convenient thing to claim when it isn't present. I thoroughly inspected the device prior to sending it in. Regardless, I've been put in a position where there's very little I can do about it - I just wanted to document it here so other consumers can be fully informed.

Thank you for answering the question. Is there an ETA on when promotional amounts will be paid, or is that up to whenever ID feels like it? The last promotion I claimed with ID was fulfilled weeks after the promised date, so I'd like to know if that will be the case yet again.

Hi @legerdemain 

If you don’t trust our engineers, you are free to explore other trade in options with other companies, our engineers aren’t just marking devices as damaged where they aren’t.

Promotional amounts should take around 3-5 working days after the handset amount has been refunded to you, if you haven’t received yours on time, we’d recommend contacting the trade in team.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/trade-in

Tom