Blog

Google Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro have arrived!

• 20 October 2021
  • 22 replies
Google Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro have arrived!
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • iD Mobile Employee
  • 118 replies

‘Tis the season for new smartphone launches, where the biggest brands in the smartphone world unveil their latest innovations. September saw Apple unveil their game-changing iPhone 13 range, and now the titans of Android, Google, have launched their two best smartphones yet. We’re talking about the Pixel 6 and the Pixel 6 Pro.

There’s been a lot of hype about these phones over the past few months in the run-up to their release. That’s partially because they’re the first smartphones to feature Google’s own custom-made processor, but there are plenty of other reasons to love these smartphones.

Let’s take a closer look:

How do they look?

See for yourself! The latest phones in the Google Pixel family sport a radically different look to their predecessors. We love the unique ‘bar’ style camera module at the top, and the two-tone design above and below it is a real point of difference.

Elsewhere, the selfie camera moves on both phones to the top centre, and both the front and back are protected by super-tough Gorilla Glass Victus. That’s just as well, as they may be too nice to cover up.

Google have always opted for colour palettes that buck the trend, and this time around is no different. There are three different colour options for the Google Pixel 6, and another three for the Pixel 6 Pro: Choose from Sorta Seafoam, Kinda Coral and Stormy Black with the Pixel 6, and Cloudy White, Sorta Sunny and Stormy Black for the Pro.

Whichever colour you go for, these phones are impressively stylish. And with the new Material You UI that matches your user interface with the colours of your wallpaper background, we think Google is really onto something exciting in the world of smartphone design.

What are the screens like?

The design isn’t the only area where Google have decided to do things differently. The screens on both of these phones are quite something.

The Google Pixel 6 may be the smaller of the two devices, but it’s by no means small. At 6.4-inches, it’s a good size for watching movies and getting the most out of games, while staying comfy to hold when taking calls and sending messages. Plus, it feels as smooth as it looks thanks to a Full HD+ resolution and 90 Hz refresh rate.

Google Pixel 6 Pro steps things up a gear, in every way. Much like its Pixel XL predecessors, it’s bigger at 6.7-inches. And speaking of pixels, the display gets the most from every single dot that makes up the screen. It’s a Quad HD+ OLED, meaning every little pixel is self-lit. Put simply, colours appear true-to-life when you browse through photos and watch gritty dramas.

But that’s not all. The Google Pixel 6 Pro also boasts a 120 Hz refresh rate that drops down for less active apps. That means you still get that buttery-smooth scrolling, but it doesn’t waste any battery unnecessarily. Clever.

Whichever one you go for, Google Pixel switches things up in 2021 with a fingerprint scanner built that sits underneath the screen. It feels like a logical place to have it, and means that secure access is only ever a quick thumb-tap away.

The power of Google:

When it comes to the processor that powers the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro, Google have gone back to the drawing board and crafted their very own smartphone chip. Not only does this break with their tradition of using Snapdragon processors, but the new Google Tensor chip in both phones is around 80% faster than the Pixel 5’s chip. Almost twice as fast. That’s a huge deal in 2021.

It’s not just about speed, though. This chip is a real smart cookie. It makes both phones better at picking up speech and varying dialects, and it’s considerably more accurate translating on the go. More importantly, it adds the most layers of hardware security on a smartphone yet, and that means your data is in safe hands – yours.

Both phones come packed with the Google Tensor chip and 5G connectivity, which is paired with 8 GB RAM for the Pixel 6 and a massive 12GB RAM for the Pro model.

Pixel perfect pictures:

When it comes to previous Google Pixel phone cameras, it’s been the software that’s stolen the show. This time around, the cameras are bigger and better across the board.

Put simply, the Google Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro have the most advanced cameras Google have put into a phone. Both have a new 1/1.3 inch primary sensor on the back that lets in 150% more light than the Pixel 5. That means much, much better photos in light and dark settings. The dual camera system on the Pixel 6 features a new 50MP wide and 12MP ultrawide lens, while the Pixel 6 Pro adds an amazing 48MP telephoto lens to make it a triple.

The standout features here are the reduction of blur when you take a snap, and the editing options after you’ve taken it. Laser detect autofocus keeps your subject in razor sharp focus, and if there happen to be any passers by in the background of that group snap, you can remove them in the edit with Magic Eraser in Google Photos. No more photobombs!

When are the Google Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro available?

Both the Google Pixel 6 and the Google Pixel 6 Pro are available for pre-order from iD Mobile right now, and we’ve got a brilliant offer for you!

The Google Pixel 6 starts from £29.99 for 20 GB data with a £49.99 upfront cost, while the Google Pixel 6 Pro starts from £39.99 for 20 GB data, plus £49.99 upfront.

And even if you’re still more than happy with your current phone, check out our top features of the new Android 12 operating system!

Unwrapping and activating your new Google Pixel 6 or 6 Pro device:

Please note that your new Google Pixel 6 or 6 Pro device may not be automatically running the latest Android operating system (Android 12). Please access the settings panel on your new device and check whether your new device is running the new Android 12 version. 

If your device is not running Android 12, then your device may not be able to connect to the iD 5G network, until it is updated. 

Your new Pixel 6 device should say: 

Software: SD1A.210817.036

O/S Version: Android 12

22 replies

Userlevel 1

Does the new Google Pixel 6 support Wifi Calling?  (My present Pixel 4a does support Wifi calling)

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@Pianostar I can confirm that this device does support WiFi Calling.

Emil

Userlevel 1

Thanks for letting me know so quickly.

I could not get through to the right dept at Google.its an amazing feature which enables me to have a strong signal in an area where generally the signal is low 

Userlevel 1

@Pianostar I can confirm that this device does support WiFi Calling.

Emil

Thanks @Pianostar - the website is not yet updated I guess - it doesnt show Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro in WiFi calling compatible devices - https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/wifi-calling

Hi, does the Google 6 pro come with a free set of headphones if I pre-order, can't see it anywhere on the site.

Userlevel 2

Hi, does the Google 6 pro come with a free set of headphones if I pre-order, can't see it anywhere on the site.

They do not come with the phone, there is an offer through Google where you can claim a pair of Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 after 14 days of ordering, but within 45 days of the order date. Once your claim has been approved, your Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 will be on their way to you within 60 days.

You can view the offer here.

There is confirmation that iDmobile.co.uk are participating here.

Hi, I just pre-ordered the pixel 6 pro from ID. Does anyone know when ID will deliver the pre-orders because I can't find anything about it on the website. I've seen that most providers say that pre-orders of the pixel 6 pro will be delivered by the 28th October, but don't know if ID will do that aswell. 

Userlevel 2

Hi, I just pre-ordered the pixel 6 pro from ID. Does anyone know when ID will deliver the pre-orders because I can't find anything about it on the website. I've seen that most providers say that pre-orders of the pixel 6 pro will be delivered by the 28th October, but don't know if ID will do that aswell. 

My email confirmation from Mobiles.co.uk stated Delivery is expected 28/10/2021.

I also had a follow up email more or less confirming:

Good news, we are now expecting stock of the Google Pixel 6 Pro 128GB Stormy Black on the 28th October. No need for you to do anything, we'll confirm via email once your product has been dispatched. From there your order will be delivered by our couriers DPD and you'll be provided a 1 hour window for delivery, so no waiting in all day.

I know it’s not directly from ID, but the site is run by Currys PLC who own ID Mobile.

My email confirmation from Mobiles.co.uk stated Delivery is expected 28/10/2021.

I also had a follow up email more or less confirming:

Good news, we are now expecting stock of the Google Pixel 6 Pro 128GB Stormy Black on the 28th October. No need for you to do anything, we'll confirm via email once your product has been dispatched. From there your order will be delivered by our couriers DPD and you'll be provided a 1 hour window for delivery, so no waiting in all day.

I know it’s not directly from ID, but the site is run by Currys PLC who own ID Mobile.

Oh ok, I mean if they're both run by Currys I don't see why they'd be delivered any differently. Thanks for your help, fingers crossed it gets delivered next week. 

Userlevel 2

No problem, I’m getting impatient waiting for it already :joy:

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hey everyone :)

The website takes slightly longer to update so the best source to use for device approvals are our Community articles.

Regarding your other questions around delivery timings and offer redemptions, someone from the team will reach out here to you soon and will be able to answer these for you :)

Emil

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Miles05,

Most pre-orders are due for delivery on 28th of October but we can check your order for you.

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hey, I Pre ordered the 6 Pro on Thursday 21/10.

I havent received any kind of order confirmation or emails apart from the initial one, is this correct? I need to Port my number over before I use the phone and thought a weeks notice would be good enough, but i cannot register to the app/website as have no details?

Also, have seen on Twitter you are no longer participating in the Bose headphones offer, is there a cut off date for this for customers who pre ordered before you withdrew??

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Colonel888,

You’ll only receive the initial email for now. Once the order has been dispatched you’ll receive further information regarding the delivery and the connected number etc.

You’ll need the SIM to hand to register your account with the security code which is sent by SMS. However not to worry as we usually process number ports within 1 working day if it’s before 5.30pm during the week.

As long as you purchased before 21st October 2021 (23:59 – BST) you should be all good to claim.

Let us know if you require any further information.

Kash

Userlevel 1

@Colonel888,

You’ll only receive the initial email for now. Once the order has been dispatched you’ll receive further information regarding the delivery and the connected number etc.

You’ll need the SIM to hand to register your account with the security code which is sent by SMS. However not to worry as we usually process number ports within 1 working day if it’s before 5.30pm during the week.

As long as you purchased before 21st October 2021 (23:59 – BST) you should be all good to claim.

Let us know if you require any further information.

Kash

Thanks, your live chat and SM teams are still saying you are waiting for clarification from Google? I did order before midnight on 21/10 but need more than a should be before I let my order proceed. Do you know when you will know for certain? As I'll be cancelling my order before the 28th to order elsewhere if I can't find out (but I would rather carry on with ID).

@Miles05,

Most pre-orders are due for delivery on 28th of October but we can check your order for you.

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Kash

Would you be able to check my order too? In and out of the house for the next couple of days so just curious when I need to be here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Colonel888,

We’ve been advised that any orders for the Pro version needed to be placed pre 11:59pm on 25/10/21 for the offer. The offer for the Pixel 6 is currently still valid.

Also @TibialBat , 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further. To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview We’ll see you there.

Kash

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi everyone, 

Please note that if anyone is experiencing any issues with connecting to our 5G network using their new Google Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro device, please ensure that the device is running the most up-to-date software and then restart your phone. 

This should fix any 5G connectivity issues. 

Your new Pixel 6 device should say: 

Software: SD1A.210817.036

O/S Version: Android 12

Emil

Userlevel 1

Hello, I pre ordered my pixel 6 pro on Saturday 23rd October but doesn't appear that my device is arriving today on release as I've had no communication via email following the initial order confirmation one. How do I go about checking this? 

Userlevel 1

"Google Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro have arrived!" 

Headline is rather insulting to those that preorderd and despite multiple promises of release day delivery have now been told to wait for an update some time in December. 

Hi, I pre ordered my pixel 6 pro on 24/10 and have received the confirmation email. Would it be possible to get an update on the situation with my pre order please? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Luigi2112 @S_Jackson,

We’ll see you there.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?