Question

Can't reply to Barclays fraud short number 60183...nor can I

• 6 September 2022
  • 11 replies

Hi

I am not being allowed to reply to the message from shortcode 60183, it returns a message “Not sent. Tap to try again”

The 60183 shortcode is from the Barclays fraud department and requires a Y or N response to a bank transfer request. 

I checked your Shortcode checker ==> https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/call-charges and it returned a zero cost (£0.00)

I have My extra usage charge set at £25.00 - which means that the problem cannot be due to cost.

Initially, in My services option (website or app), I have Premium set to Off (I cannot make premium calls/texts/mms) and Adult Content Filtering is set to Off

...and I get the error message “Not sent. Tap to try again”

In My services, I now set Premium to On (I can now make premium calls/texts/mms)

...try again and receive the same error message “Not sent. Tap to try again”

In My servicesAdult Content Filtering is now set to On 

...try again and receive the same error message “Not sent. Tap to try again”

This is an issue with ID Mobile/3 which must be resolved, Barclays are flagging up money transfers now because of the increase in fraud and it will affect a lot more ID Mobile users

So do we have any answer??

Thanks

Bernard

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Can’t you use the Barclays mobile banking app to verify these bank transfer requests?

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

The Barclays app still requires that a reply is made to a short code number to confirm the transfer

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @bernie123456789, I use the Barclays app for my Barclays credit cards and when I’m asked to approve / confirm using their app, the message is sent using the Internet, not as an SMS.

Maybe Barclays can help?

Hi Andy

When you say it’s asking you to approve a transfer via the app the message is sent via the internet...is transferring small sums between bank and/or credit cards. Is that correct?

I don’t have any trouble transferring small sums (under £2k) to credit cards, banks etc. The bank’s fraud dept has obviously set limits (I don’t know what they are) when the sums are much larger. Recently, I had problems moving sums of £20k+ which required me responding to a short code sms

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @bernie123456789, I’m guessing UK banks all have different thresholds for online transfers.

You’d have thought Barclays would’ve checked all UK mobile networks support their 60183 code - maybe they have, who knows.

Anyway, on iD Mobile’s network (from Three UK), it’s actually Three UK who determines which SMS shortcodes work and which don’t. 

Do Barclays have another option for authenticating online transfers?

A few years back, when I had a Barclays bank account, large online transfers required their PIN sentry device, or their Mobile PIN sentry, for authentication of online transfers.

Finally, your 60183 shortcode gives the following on Three’s web site:

Yes Pin sentry is still in use for Barclays.

You need it,

1. every time to access your online account
  2. every time to transfer funds to a new payee
  3. after the initial transfer of funds to a new payee, when the funds exceed a certain (undisclosed) sum. I normally make a test transfer of £1 to prove the transfer & withdrawal works before moving larger quantities

I don’t have a problem with Barclays introducing fraud prevention policies, but, it is a problem with ID Mobile & Three for not allowing these short codes. I joined ID Mobile a year ago and it has never worked, however, it has worked with all previous phone service providers that I have used in the past.

Who can I contact at ID Mobile to escalate this issue, because no one seems to be taking responsibility for it

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Who can I contact at ID Mobile to escalate this issue, because no one seems to be taking responsibility for it

In my experience, the best way of contacting iD Mobile is through their social media customer support team via facebook (with Messenger), or Twitter (by DM (direct message)).

Out-of-hours messages left on facebook or Twitter are handled when the iD social media team next start work.

I doubt you’ll persuade iD Mobile to make this shortcode work, but who knows.

Anyway, good luck @bernie123456789

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

FYI, another iD customer had this issue, which they managed to solve.

See the forum topic “Can’t reply to Barclays fraud short number 60183”, started by @Rygella.

Anyway, good luck @bernie123456789

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @bernie123456789,

As @andewhite  linked, this was solved by another user as follows:

Thank you for suggestion. Managed to sort contacting Barclays direct, who say its a quirk their end and it comes up as a premium number but they don’t actually charge for it. 

According to our Shortcode checker: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/call-charges 

This number is supported on our network.

Mohammed

Hi Mohammed

Thank you for the response to my problem/issue.

I did check that the issue I have with the short code had not been mentioned before, as it was it had been identified a number of times….and so in my 1st post in this topic I checked the Id Mobile short code cost and increased my extra usage charge, both of which had been mentioned in previous topics.

...and it still rejected my text, as explained in my 1st message in this topic, with the message “Not sent. Tap to try again”

@andewhite solution was to contact Barclays, which does not resolve the issue

I’ve been a customer of ID Mobile for just over a year and all my previous mobile networks have allowed texts to this particular short code.

So it’s either a problem with ID Mobile/Three or Barclays

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @bernie123456789 

As @andewhite linked earlier, a post was already made in relation to this short-code number and the issue was eventually resolved with them by contacting Barclays.

We in this case would recommend the same as the number is supported on our network as shown on the Shortcode checker here and as you mentioned your billcap shouldn’t be the issue as you have this at £25.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?