Question

Having Trouble transferring my number from one iD sim to another iD sim

I decided to get a new iD contract through carphone warehouse (as the deal on there was better than all the deals on iD’s website) while already having a rolling monthly Sim with iD. During the new contract creation on carphone warehouse there was no option for a PAC code which means I now have 2 iD accounts with 2 iD contracts with 2 iD phone numbers.

I’ve found out transferring numbers from iD to iD is not simple at all and that it requires something called a three-way-port using a middle sim on a different network. On Saturday I got a PAC code to transfer my old iD number to the middle sim which was supposed to have completed yesterday however it hasn’t so upon investigating why this could be (and being unable to get through to customer support to get an answer from any employee which is why I’ve resorted to this forum) I’ve found it might be because yesterday my iD monthly contract rolled over to another month meaning it’s still in contract and I’m not sure if I’m able to transfer the number while the contract is still active.

However when looking through the options for cancelling the contract so the number transfer can go through it gives a message saying if I cancel my iD plan I will lose my current mobile number. But how can I transfer my number if it can’t be in contract but to end the contract means I lose the number?! argghh this is so confusing, I really wish iD would allow an iD to iD sim number transfer to end this confusing puzzle of number transfers.

Please can anyone help or offer guidance on what I should do? All the web chat support is full and I can’t get through to a human and calling the iD number support just offers a robot which doesn’t help.

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9
  1. Get a PAC for the iD plan with the number you want to keep (the contract will be cancelled when you use the PAC).
  2. Give the PAC from (1) to another service provider.
  3. Once the number you want to keep has been ported to the provider used in (2), get a PAC from this provider.
  4. Give the PAC from (3) to iD, for the iD plan you’ll carry on using.

Text INFO to 85075 to work out how much it will cost to stop the iD plan you don’t want.

Good luck.

Hi Andewhite, at the time of posting I’m between step 2 and 3. As said in the post I gave the PAC to another service (Three) on Saturday who said it should be completed Tuesday (Yesterday) so should this mean something has gone wrong with the port or does it just need more time? Is there a way I can check the progress of the port?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Cake,

1. Is the SIM card, for the iD plan you requested the PAC for, still active?
  2. Have you put the Three SIM in a phone, to check if it’s active and has been assigned the number you wanted to keep?
Userlevel 8
Badge +9

It seems Three require their SIM to be active by 5pm on the day before the number port is scheduled to happen.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

You would have been better off porting over to a different network entirely. iD Mobile use the Three network, you're not really porting your number anywhere... Three update their internal records and point the number at the correct account/SIM. You'd think it would be easier than full on porting away, in reality most delayed ports are ports from or to MVNO'S using the same network.

1. I think it is? I’m able to log into my iD account and can see it says there’s 30 days remaining on my rolling monthly contract on the main page
  2. Yes, I’ve placed the Three sim into my old phone and tried ringing my old number on my new phone with my new sim in it and it doesn’t ring out which indicates the number isn’t on there yet.
  3. I’ve just tried putting my old iD sim into my old phone and calling my old number from my new phone and it rings which indicates my old number is still on my old iD sim

Ah the three sim card wasn’t activated until the Saturday which is when I picked it up from a shop and tried doing the PAC transfer straight away to it. I’ll have to try doing the PAC transfer again now I think.

Thank you for your help

@WelshPaul oh no, so porting my number to the three sim card won’t work? I don’t understand why they make this so difficult :/ I thought going from iD to iD would be easier for transferring numbers since all they need to communicate with are themselves but I was completely wrong on that.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

You can port your number over to Three from iD Mobile. What I'm saying is that behind the scenes the process is different, and the number technically isn't ported anywhere. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9
  1. I think it is? I’m able to log into my iD account and can see it says there’s 30 days remaining on my rolling monthly contract on the main page
  2. Yes, I’ve placed the Three sim into my old phone and tried ringing my old number on my new phone with my new sim in it and it doesn’t ring out which indicates the number isn’t on there yet.
  3. I’ve just tried putting my old iD sim into my old phone and calling my old number from my new phone and it rings which indicates my old number is still on my old iD sim

Ah the three sim card wasn’t activated until the Saturday which is when I picked it up from a shop and tried doing the PAC transfer straight away to it. I’ll have to try doing the PAC transfer again now I think.

Thank you for your help

Was your new Three active before 5pm on Monday 01-Aug-2022?

If it wasn’t, it might explain why the port hasn’t completed.

In any event, Three are 100% responsible for getting your number ported to their network to use with your new Three SIM card. Three should have done this by 5pm on 02-Aug-2022.

These are the OFCOM’s rules for UK mobile network providers.

Was your new Three active before 5pm on Monday 01-Aug-2022?

If it wasn’t, it might explain why the port hasn’t completed.

In any event, Three are 100% responsible for getting your number ported to their network to use with your new Three SIM card. Three should have done this by 5pm on 02-Aug-2022.

These are the OFCOM’s rules for UK mobile network providers.

I activated the Three sim card on Saturday I think, I put it in my phone and had my phone turned on if that counts as activating it? However I then put my old iD sim back in my phone in case anyone called me while I was waiting for the port. Then on Mid-Tuesday I put my Three sim card in my old phone (swapping out my old iD sim) to check if the port worked

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

You would normally receive a text message and/or email to tell you your port had been completed - from the new service provider (Three).

I assume Three sent a text message / email with the date your port would take place?

Three are 100% responsible for doing the number port - have you contacted Three?

Why iD Mobile?