Solved

receiving security texts when abroad?

• 2 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

I am concerned about how I will be able to make financial transactions online when abroad as in the past I have found that it can take a few days to actually receive a text message from the UK and these days all banks use texts as 2fa.

My concern is raised especially since yesterday a foreign organisation sent me a text but I still have not received it.

What has been other peoples experiences of receiving texts when abroad?

Thank you.

Andrew

icon

Best answer by Andy1 2 June 2023, 20:48

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

When I’ve been abroad using a roaming service, I’ve received text messages from the UK in a timely manner. 

Remember the SMS standard does not guarantee a text message will be delivered, and sometimes banks et cetera have problems with their SMS gateway service provider, delaying or not delivering text messages.

Userlevel 1

Ok thanks for that info, I'm hoping that the option to use biometrics to validate my id will be offered as a backup method .

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Andy1, always worth notifying your Bank also before going abroad so they know you may be accessing services abroad.

As for the text that’s taking time to be received, make sure that the correct code +44 was provided and check they have the correct number setup on their system.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Ok I think I got it sorted now, my bank told me they never send authorisation codes abroad by sms text anyway so I registered to receive them via email.

I texted a relative living abroad and received her texts ok and I think the reason I never received a text the other day from a commercial organisation was because their system would not automatically send messages to a foreign number.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

That’s awesome, thanks for sharing. I’ve marked your post as Best Answer so it may help others.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?