Question

Refused 2nd sim due to credit check.

• 24 September 2023
  • 5 replies

Just over 2 weeks ago i got my first sim without a problem. I have now applied for a 2nd sim for another device which has been refused due to a credit check. My credit score is 663 out of 710.

Why have i been refused this second sim so soon after being succesful with the first ?

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

It could be a number of reasons a good score means nothing in real terms it depends on the criteria that I'd use. My Mrs has got terrible credit her ex messed hers but had no problem getting one but can't really get anything on credit. I have had large loans on credit but Currys wouldn't let me get a laptop on credit and I have a very good credit score the score just doesn't guarantee anything. Going back to Currys they wouldn't give me it but went to ao bought same laptop and no problem. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @ploppy,

Welcome to the Community!

@Zach Tatum-Hagger advised, credit checks are based on multiple things and we can’t provide the specific reason.

Kash

This doesn’t explain why i was able to get the first sim and not the second.

It’s not very helpful from a customers point of view to not give a reason. There are multiple posts on here from others with the same problem.

This has annoyed me that much that i will be closing the account on the first sim as soon as the talkmobile sim arrives.

Frontline staff aren't usually able to see that information I worked for talktalk years ago and we could never seen any information like that because it's confidential. Because of such stringent penalties for breaches in gdpr most companies will keep as much information as possible away from anyone unless it's very essential to do the job. It's annoying I know and would be helpful to know but I don't think you'll find the information as it will be something that is outsourced by a third party. It could be something stupid like an incorrect spelling on something or the like. I changed my surname and it used to get very confused setting stuff up because I still had my old name on the electoral role my licence hadn't been changed yet so even though I have a credit good profile it would get chucked back. Simple stuff like not even updating the address on your driving licence or an incorrect address on a bill. Sometimes you can have a debt without knowing I got into arrears with my rent honest mistake I worked out the monthly payment wrong so was under paying about £20 a month. Council didn't tell me for over a year so could well be something silly you aren't even aware of.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @ploppy,

There are many things that can affect it.

As advised we can’t provide specific reasons but applying too close together can affect it.

It may be worth making 3 on time payments (or after 90 days) before reapplying.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?