Question

Why was re-registering necessary?

• 27 April 2024
  • 4 replies

I did not receive any advanced notice of the app update or the fact existing accounts would not work with it. When I opened the app and it asked me to register, I thought it was broken and went to the website. When the website also wouldn’t let me login and wanted personal information, I assumed your system was broken or it was a sophisticated phishing attack. I then reached out to your support staff via Twitter to see what was going on, but they have been incredibly evasive and unhelpful about the whole thing, outright refusing to explain the need for re-registering.

When I kept asking for an answer, they even gave me a link to this announcement post which, on the topic of having to re-register, only says “sorry about that!” which feels incredibly snarky and sarcastic.

It asked for email, first name, surname (twice for some reason), password, phone number, and date of birth. I'm 100% sure you already had all of that on my account, except maybe DOB but given I have a financial contract with yourselves I’d be surprised if you don’t have that even if I didn’t have to explicitly give it to you.

So:

1. Why don’t existing accounts work with the new app?
  2. Why did it need to ask for my surname twice?
  3. Why weren't existing accounts automatically migrated to work with the new app?
  4. Why did you chose to force this pointless mess on your paying customers?
  5. Why was there no advanced notice to warn users that this was coming?
  6. Why are you so adamant about refusing to give any real explanations or technical details to justify this?

Even if the new system uses new password encryption, you could just prompt users to set a new password on login and use a code via SMS or email to verify their identity. What was the need for the whole song and dance about registering all over again?

I can’t help but notice that the financial side of things has continued to work flawlessly for you, allowing you to continue charging us while locking people out of their accounts until the teething issues with the pointless re-registration system were fixed.

Seriously, why?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Yesterday4462,

Welcome to the Community!

I’m very sorry to hear about the issues that you experienced.

• Why don’t existing accounts work with the new app? The old app no longer exists so new registrations are required.
  • Why did it need to ask for my surname twice? The registration process should only request this once. Are you able to provide a screenshot?
  • Why weren't existing accounts automatically migrated to work with the new app? The release of the new app meant that we removed the old app as it was outdated. We advise customers to register again so they can enjoy the benefits of the new app.
  • Why did you chose to force this pointless mess on your paying customers? We are sorry you feel this way our aim is to make improvements to the app which makes it easier for our customers in the long run.
  • Why was there no advanced notice to warn users that this was coming? The new app was posted in several places and we are sorry that you weren’t informed about this.
  • Why are you so adamant about refusing to give any real explanations or technical details to justify this? As with anything new, there can be some issues that occur which we don't find out about until it's rolled out to the mass amount of customers that we have, and our teams are working to resolve these issues and bring you the best possible version.

I can only apologise for the issues and we are here to help if you require further assistance.

Kash

The old app no longer exists so new registrations are required.

The release of the new app meant that we removed the old app as it was outdated. We advise customers to register again so they can enjoy the benefits of the new app.

These comments as to why re-registering was necessary don’t make sense. My account did not exist inside the old app. I have worked in web development and tech fields for a long time. This feels like intentionally false technobabble, to trick users who don’t know how websites, logins, and apps work. I hope that isn’t what’s happening here because I thought iD Mobile was better than that.

I originally registered via the website and then logged into the app. My iD Mobile account existed before I originally registered for online / app access. Nothing about my account or online / app login changed as far as I’m aware, and nothing about the re-registration process asked for any information not already part of my existing iD Mobile account and online / app login.

So I ask again: what about the new app made my existing iD Mobile account and online login broken and required re-registration in such a way that iD Mobile were incapable of migrating it to work with the new app automatically?

The registration process should only request this once. Are you able to provide a screenshot?

No I can’t, because I’ve already completed the process and didn’t take screenshots at the time. I remember that the first ask for my surname was alongside my email and creating a new password, while the second time was while providing my phone number. The same email address and phone number that were already linked to my iD Mobile account and online / app login.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Yesterday4462,

Did you manage to register your account or did you still require assistance with registering?

If you still require assistance we will send you a PM.

Kash

@Yesterday4462,

Did you manage to register your account or did you still require assistance with registering?

If you still require assistance we will send you a PM.

Kash

Hi Kash. After reaching out to iD Mobile support on Twitter to confirm that it wasn’t a phishing scam nor any actual problem with my account preventing me from logging in and unnecessarily asking for my personal information to register an account I already have I did go through the pointless re-registration process and am allowed to access my account again, which still contains all the information it always had including things I was not prompting to enter proving that my original account was still there and does, in fact, work with the new app.

In this post I have not once asked for help with the re-registration process itself.

I am trying to ask *why* it was needed in the first place, why iD Mobile didn’t just update the app and let all their paying customers keep using it, why iD Mobile thought in this age of scams and phishing it was necessary to put users through this very dodgy looking and unnecessary process, etc.

Why iD Mobile?