Keep in Touch Using Wi-Fi Calling

• 22 January 2021
  • 2 replies
Keep in Touch Using Wi-Fi Calling
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • iD Mobile Employee
  • 118 replies

As we’re currently having to spend more time indoors, keeping in touch with friends, family and those that mean the most to you has never been more important.

Whether it’s a 2-minute check-in, or a 3hour catch-up, we at iD Mobile understand how important it is to be able to have an uninterrupted and clear call whenever you need to make it.

Now, network coverage indoors can at times be temperamental, and this is down to several factors such as thickness of walls, windows and even trees surrounding your home That’s why we provide all iD customers with the ability to use a Wi-Fi network (be it at home, at work or even a public Wi-Fi network), to make calls and send texts as part of your plan. We call this feature Wi-Fi Calling.

Although Wi-Fi Calling is available to use for all iD customers, you do have to have a compatible handset.

You can find a full list of compatible handsets here.

The information below will help you get started using Wi-Fi Calling.

How to set up Wi-Fi calling:

Okay, so your handset was on the list and is compatible with Wi-Fi Calling – result!

To use Wi-Fi Calling you just need to:

1. Connect to Wi-Fi

2. Make sure your software is up to date

3. Switch on Wi-Fi Calling in your settings

We ‘ve got more detail on each of these three things below:

1. Connecting to Wi-Fi

Wi-Fi calling will work when you’re unable to connect to 3G or 4G and have a Wi-Fi speed of at least 2MB. Most current Wi-Fi packages offer speeds between 8MB and 200MB. To check yours, just head over to Google and type in ‘internet speed test’.

2. Updating your software

You now need to update your phone's software, if it’s not bang up to date already. If you’re an iPhone user, you’ll need to install the latest software and accept the latest carrier settings.

3. Switching on Wi-Fi Calling

• If you’ve got a compatible iPhone, you can switch on Wi-Fi Calling in Settings > Mobile Data > Wi-Fi Calling.
  • If you’ve got an Android phone, the exact method for switching Wi-Fi Calling on varies by manufacturer. It could be something as simple as Settings > More> Wi-Fi Calling, but here’s how it’s done on some Huawei or Samsung handsets:

Step 1: Click on the ‘phone’ icon like you’re about to make a call.

Step 2: Tap the three vertical dots (top right hand corner on Samsung, bottom right hand corner on Huawei) and select ‘Settings’.

Step 3: Scroll down to Wi-Fi Calling and toggle on.

Done all that? Good. Your Wi-Fi Calling is now set up, and it’ll automatically kick in next time you need it. And don’t forget, it works for text messages too.

Does Wi-Fi calling cost anything?

When you use Wi-Fi Calling, nothing changes in the way you’re billed for calls and texts. You use your monthly allowance of minutes or texts, and if you haven't got any allowances left, you'll be charged at our usual out-of-plan rates.

You'll also be charged at our out-of-plan rates if you make a call that's not covered by your monthly allowance of minutes. These include international calls, or premium calls like chat lines and TV competitions.

That’s it! You’re all good to go!

If you’ve got any questions on Wi-Fi Calling that we’ve not answered above, then let us know by commenting below.

Also, if you’ve found this article helpful (or not), let us know by clicking the relevant emoji.

2 replies

Userlevel 1

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge updated to Android version 8.0.0 but WIFI calling does not appear anywhere in the settings menu.

Who is responsible for determinig why this is happening, ID Mobile or Samsung.

Userlevel 1

I had similar experiences with a Samsung S7 phone and as far as I could work out the absence of the Wi-Fi calling option on the ID network was due to the phone originally being locked to the EE network and even though it was subsequently unlocked Wi-Fi calling was never possible.  The same SIM in a compatible iPhone worked fine for Wi-Fi calling so neither the ID network or the SIM were the problem. Puzzlingly, in a later Samsing S7 Edge however, also previously on EE, the SIM worked fine so my only conclusion was that the older S7 from EE was the issue.  I tested the theory with my local Mobile shop who helpfully pulled out some other unlocked S7s off EE and they also would not offer Wi-Fi calling on the menu whilst hosting the ID SIM 🤔.  Solution: buy a later Samsung model?

Why iD Mobile?