Skip to main content

After a number of texts telling me my phone (samsung xcover 5, android 14, oneui 6, updated today!) would speak 4g volte if I enabled it in the settings, I had a go.

There is no 4g listed under settings> connections> mobile network> network mode (https://deviceguides.vodafone.co.uk/samsung/galaxy-xcover-5-android-11-0/connectivity/select-network-mode/, matching idmobile’s instructions).

The coverage checker says I should be golden - “ Yes – Excellent service “.

What else can I try?  My other phone’s a Nokia e5, so the SIM’s not gonna talk 4g in that…

Thank you.

Sorry, should have said that 4G *data* is, indeed, golden.  Just voice no workie.

Doesn't look like the Samsung xCover is on our list of approved handset, which is why you won’t see the 4G VoLTE option. You’ll need to purchase an approved handset in the list below to guarantee 4G VoLTE compatibility:

Thanks.

Hi Matthew

Thanks for that, and yikes - so the repeated SMS messages from iD Mobile saying it was compatible with 4G volte were incorrect.  Odd that Vodafone are happy with it, but hey.

Now I really do need to do the SIM-swap experiment with someone else to *prove* the phone itself is the issue (or not).

Will report back.  Thanks again.

Confimed via SIM swap.

• Samsung S6 (2015, Android 7) - 4g volte is fine on iD Mobile SIM
  • Samsung xcover 5 (2021, Android 14) - 4g volte no workie on the same iD Mobile SIM

So whoever is allowisting phones for iD Mobile needs to talk to whoever is sending SMSs saying “your phone will speak 4g volte if you change the settings”. 

Wondering how many others are being made complacent and thinking yeahyeah, I’ll get around to it when it happens.

Anyone know if the allowlist is simply proxied from Three, or specific to iD Mobile?  Asking because vodafone definitely support xcover 5, and talkmobile are to vodafone as iD Mobile is to Three,

Thanks again.

Hi @kidari 👋🏻
You need to see ‘LTE’ under Network mode and NOT 4G as they are different. The ‘4G’ connection that providers talk about is actually VoLTE (Voice over LTE).
Even though your handset is not on the ‘approved’ list it may still work but you need the LTE option to make/receive calls once 3G is turned off.
I gave this advice to someone else who was having the same trouble……

By the sounds of it your phone is controlled by another network with regards to the software and updates (just like mine was - see post) and this is why you do not have the VoLTE (and WiFi Calling) option available.
Providers DO NOT control whether the option is available on your handset. It is either there or it isn’t! All they test is to see if that make/model works on their network and even if they haven’t tested it it doesn’t mean it won’t work.

Hope this helps sheds some light on your problem x