Solved

4G Calling / VoLTE Oppo Reno 8 Pro

Userlevel 1

Hello all!

I have a SIM free UK Oppo Reno 8 Pro 5G handset.

I can use WiFi calling absolutely fine and there is a toggle switch to enable/disable in the SIM menu settings when using my ID mobile SIM card.

Unfortunately even though 4G Calling / VoLTE is supposedly supported there is no menu option to enable it when using my ID mobile SIM card.

I have tried other SIM cards (Vodafone & SKY) and VoLTE menu appears straight away and I can use 4G Calling / VoLTE absolutely fine.

I have spoken with Oppo and they have told me this is something ID mobile will need to sort out for me.

Is this something ID mobile has to enable for me somehow on the SIM card / account?

My handset is up to date and running the latest Color OS 13 / Android 13 update.

Kind Regards

Tom

icon

Best answer by andewhite 23 March 2023, 12:10

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

What makes you think 4G Calling is not working when you’re using the iD SIM card @floatyid007? 

Have you tried a Three or SMARTY SIM card?

Userlevel 1

It's not working because there is no VoLTE icon being displayed in the status bar, where on other networks where it is working it's displayed. Also because the menu option is missing it normally means that it's unsupported or not enabled.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If the WiFi Calling on your handset works with iD Mobile, then VoLTE will also be working because both these services rely on the same IMS technology, in the mobile network infrastructure.

I reckon the VoLTE icon is just icing-on-the-cake @floatyid007, and although it’s missing from your handset’s status bar on iD Mobile’s network, 4G Calling is working.

The Three UK network is slightly different compared to Vodafone and Sky (O2), because there’s no 2G network component. Anyway, Three UK are currently in the process of phasing out their 3G network service, and switching it off completely by the end of 2024. This means you’ll be using 4G Calling from then onwards.

According to iD’s online page https://www.idmobile.co.uk/4g-calling, your handset works with 4G Calling.

Userlevel 1

Hey Ande,

Thanks for the reply, as you say maybe there is a difference the way it's configured by ID mobile.

I have noticed when making a call it does have a HD icon next to some of the numbers dialled.

So perhaps it's working already.

🙂

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I believe it’s only the EE network that shows VoLTE icon.

Userlevel 1

I believe it’s only the EE network that shows VoLTE icon.

I can see the VoLTE icon on Vodafone and Sky when I put those  SIM cards in my phone.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Interesting, I never had the icon with Vodafone pay monthly in the past but definitely had WiFi calling/VoLTE enabled. No idea about O2, worst of all the networks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @floatyid007,

I had the same issue and it drove me insane till I realised it was already enabled and the icon isn’t always displayed.

I think @andewhite has summed it up nicely in the response above.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

So I have been doing some testing today.

I am in a location where 4g calling / volte is available.

When I make a call my phone switches to 3G to make the call, even though I have a full strength 4g signal.

This would indicate that it's not working as expected.

What is the best way to get support for this?

Kind Regards

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@floatyid007,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?