Switch challenge with Messaging on Android

• 19 February 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I struggled to find a way to tell Messages to use my original number. I could not follow the steps set out in the iD Web site - maybe they were for a different messaging up. I did eventually find an Advanced setting for phone number which was blank so I entered the correct number and restarted the phone. Messages remained stuck with the interim number from the new SIM. 

I ended up replacing Messages with a different messaging app - might have been Messenger? - and that worked. Then I re-installed Messages and nominated it as my default SMS app and at last it’s as I had it before. I’m a novice really, but there must be other folks who would struggle even more! 

4 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

This issue can happen if you use your new iD SIM card and phone, before switching the number you’re keeping to iD Mobile, @Colbartram

Nowadays the Google Messages app, by default uses the Google RCS “Chat features” service, which results in Google linking the handset device identity to the initial mobile number. 

Another way of resetting the number, used by Google RCS “Chat features”, is as follows: 

1. Turn OFF RCS chats (“Chat features”) in the Google Messages app.
  2. Turn OFF the handset and carefully remove the iD SIM card.
  3. Check the iD SIM card is OK (clean and undamaged)
  4. Reinsert the iD SIM card.
  5. Turn ON the handset.
  6. Turn ON RCS chats

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the insights andewhite. I wasn't aware I could have left switching the SIM until after iD told me they had done the switch. Indeed, I thought it would mess things up if I hadn't got the SIM installed ready! Hopefully others will find your recommendations about the RCS stuff.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Normally, it wouldn’t matter @Colbartram

However, Apple’s iMessage service and Google’s Messages app (that uses the Google RCS service), requires linking the handset device identity with mobile number of the SIM card in device.

If the mobile number of any given registered device identity (handset) changes, sometimes Apple / Google don’t detect the number change and incorrectly tag iMessages / RCS messages with the pre-change mobile number.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Colbartram 

Glad to see the above helped, thanks for the tip here @andewhite.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?