WiFi calling not working on A52S

• 17 October 2021
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, I’ve just upgraded from an ancient Sony phone that didn’t support WiFi calling, to a new Samsung A52S which does (and is on the iD mobile list of approved phones for WiFi calling). However although WiFi calling is enabled (in dialer settings), I can’t make or receive calls unless I have mobile data. Other phones in the house which are on Id Mobile show the network status as ‘iD WiFi calling’, while this phone shows the state as just ‘iD’. The SIM itself is new, since I only moved to iD a few months ago.  

Any ideas why it isn’t working, or how I can kick it into life?

This topic has been closed for comments

17 replies

Userlevel 1

I should have said, I’ve tried rebooting the phone, resetting network services, and there are no software updates left to do.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @richstanton,

Can you try one of the iD SIM cards from one of the other phones in the house, to see if the Wi-Fi Calling starts working on your A52S device?

Also, what happens if you enable Wi-Fi Calling on your device, and then put it into Airplane Mode (with the Wi-Fi ON)?

Anyway, good luck! 

Userlevel 1

Thanks, I tried swapping SIM cards. If I put the SIM into another phone (pixel 5), it can WiFi call. If I put another SIM into the Samsung, then it cannot. So it's the phone rather than the SIM that's the problem.

If I turn on airplane mode, it won't make any call unless I turn it off again (whether or not WiFi is connected).

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay thanks @richstanton - where did you purchase your Samsung A52S?
Was it an upgrade from iD?

Userlevel 1

No, it was SIM free from Amazon.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks @richstanton, there may be a small chance you’ve bought a grey import through Amazon.

Was the seller Amazon itself?

If you’ve been unlucky enough to get a grey import, it might explain why the Wi-Fi Calling service isn’t working with your device. I think your best option is to raise this issue with the Samsung UK technical support team. 

I hope you manage to solve this issue - good luck.

Userlevel 1

I didn’t know it was going to be, but it came with a foreign plug, so it may be. Why would that affect WiFi calling?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @richstanton, sounds like your device came from a seller operating in the Amazon Marketplace - do they take returns?

As to why your grey import doesn’t work with Wi-Fi Calling, this community article Wifi calling not working Samsung A50 provides an insight into the issues you can have with Wi-Fi Calling, even using a device officially for the UK market.

You might be able to get your device’s firmware ‘re-flashed’ with a generic UK version, which might fix the issue.

I think the configuration issues around the Wi-Fi Calling service are a reason why it’s only for domestic (UK) use on the iD network (see more at What is Wi-Fi Calling?).

Anyway, hopefully there’s some potential ways forward.

Userlevel 1

Having spent quite a bit of time googling CSCs, I can see that I have DBT, which is the german generic. I’ve flashed BTU (UK generic), but it stays on DBT. Not sure why, but most posts seem to say that if a carrier supports unbranded firmware, then it shouldn’t matter whether it’s the UK or German ones. I’ll try IDMobile live chat tomorrow, and see what happens.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @richstanton,

It’s down to the firmware that’s causing this. I’ve seen this with other handsets that weren’t purchased from us directly and came with the incorrect firmware to be supported. 

There isn’t much we can do to get this working as it’s not down to a network setting that can be changed here.

Mohammed

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @Mohammed, is the same true of iPhone devices?

I’m asking because I didn’t purchase my iPhone from iD, but Wi-Fi Calling service works perfectly with my device. That said, my device was a SIM free purchase from a reputable UK based seller. 

Many thanks.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Having spent quite a bit of time googling CSCs, I can see that I have DBT, which is the german generic. I’ve flashed BTU (UK generic), but it stays on DBT. Not sure why, but most posts seem to say that if a carrier supports unbranded firmware, then it shouldn’t matter whether it’s the UK or German ones. I’ll try IDMobile live chat tomorrow, and see what happens.

You need to change the CSC to BTU.

It’s likely you won’t get any OTH firmware updates if you stay with the DBT CSC.

Userlevel 1

You need to change the CSC to BTU.

It’s likely you won’t get any OTH firmware updates if you stay with the DBT CSC.

I’ve already had one OTH firmware update while in the UK, so that side of things definitely works. It's the WiFi calling that I need to fix!

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Try changing the CSC to BTU and factory reset the device or send it back and get the UK version.

ID Mobile won’t be able to resolve your issue as clearly it’s the handset at fault and not the SIM/Account (it works in your Google Pixel Device).

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @richstanton,

As @WelshPaul has mentioned, with it being a handset issue, we won’t be able to provide a fix for you sorry.

Will

Userlevel 1

Just in case anyone else has this issue, I sent the phone back & bought direct from Samsung. This phone was UK model, and it worked fine on WiFi calling. I still suspect that the issue might be something iDMobile could fix, because the firmware is identical across europe. However there’s clearly something that doesn’t play nicely with iD if it’s not branded as a UK model.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

No the firmware isn't identical. It's the same firmware file yes, but the CSC is used to customise the firmware for the country it was intended to be used in. 

Why iD Mobile?