F.A.Q.

What is roaming and how does it work?

• 30 July 2021
  • 0 replies
What is roaming and how does it work?
Userlevel 8
Badge

What is roaming?

Roaming is simply the act of using your phone abroad. All iD Mobile plans come with Inclusive Roaming, allowing customers to use their monthly allowances in 50 destinations worldwide. So you can browse, chat and text just like you would at home.

Fair usage and open data policies apply, find out more here.

What are the 50 Roaming destinations? 

Our Inclusive Roaming destinations are split up into 2 categories, Band 1 and Band 2:

Band 1
Band 2

What is the difference between a Band 1 and Band 2 destination?

If you're in a Band 1 destination, you can also use your minutes to call any other Band 1 destination. This is not the case for Band 2 where calls or texts to other inclusive roaming destinations will be charged at International Roaming rates.

How to set up your phone for roaming

Step 1: 

Ensure Data Roaming is Enabled in the iD Mobile App 

Open iD App > Select Services > Check that ‘Roaming’ is turned on by toggling button to say ‘On’

Step 2: 

Ensure Data Roaming is Enabled on your Phone

For iPhone Users:

Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Check that ‘Data Roaming’ is Turned On

For Android Users:

Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > Check that ‘Data Roaming’ is Turned On by ensuring the button is swiped right.

Step 3:
Check your APN (Access Point Name) Settings

APN settings allow you to use data and send MMS (Multimedia messages) when abroad. They’re usually already set up correctly on your phone, but double check them before you set-off.  

Your settings should match the below: 

Name iD
APN id
Username < Leave blank >
Password < Leave blank >
MMSC http://mms.um.idmobile.co.uk:10021/mmsc
MMSC Proxy mms.idmobile.co.uk
MMS APN Username < Leave blank >
MMS APN Password < Leave blank >
MMS Port 8799

Here’s How to Check them on your phone: 

For iPhone Users:

Settings > Mobile/Cellular Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network > Check current APN settings match those shown above.

(APN settings don t match? Type in the correct APN settings shown above)

Go back to Home Screen > Check that 4G, 3G,  E  or GPRS appears in the top right of your screen.

For Android Users:

Settings > Tap Wireless & Networks or More > Mobile networks > Tap Access point > 
 Tap current APN to check it matches settings shown above.

APN settings don t match? Go back once > Tap Menu (lower left soft key, 3 dots or the word more') > Tap New APN or Add Type in the correct iD Mobile APN settings shown above.

Tap Save Ensure the new APN settings is selected in menu > Go back to home screen > Check for a 4G, 3G, H, E or G symbol in top corner of screen

And that’s that! You’re all set. If you’re already abroad, don’t worry, you can still carryout the above steps when abroad. 

Don’t have time to check your settings now? Don’t worry, we’ve included the above information in our Pre-Travel Roaming Checklist. Download it to your phone by clicking the attachment below.

FAQs

What happens if I run out of an allowance when I’m roaming?

If you’re in one of our 50 Inclusive Roaming destinations and use an allowance you’ve run out of, the following charges will apply: 

• If you’re in a Band 1 destination and text or call the UK, the same destination you’re in, or another Band 1 destination, you’ll be charged standard UK out-of-plan rates.  

• If you’re in a Band 2 destination and text or call the UK or the same destination you’re in, you’ll be charged standard UK out-of-plan rates. If you text or call any other destination, international rates will apply. 

Can I use an add-on for Inclusive Roaming?

Yes, you can! But remember that add-ons get used after your allowance runs out, and not before. So, it’s worth waiting until just before you run out of an allowance before you buy one. To buy an Add-on, simply use your iD Mobile app or My Account online. 

But please be careful – if you’re in a destination where we don’t offer Inclusive Roaming, your add-ons won’t work and you’ll be charged at our roaming rates for any usage. 

If I check the iD Mobile app when I’m roaming, will I use up data?

No. You can check the iD Mobile app abroad as many times as you want without using up any of your data. 

Can I access my voicemail while I’m abroad?

You can certainly access your voicemail while you’re abroad, but you’ll need your voicemail PIN. When you want to listen to your voicemail, follow these simple steps: 

1. Dial 123 from your iD mobile, or +447782 333 123 from any other phone 

1. Enter your PIN followed by the # key 

1. Select option 2 and listen to your voicemail 

The cost of using voicemail abroad will come out of your minutes if you’re in one of our 50 Inclusive Roaming destinations. If you don’t have any minutes left, or you’re in another destination, you’ll be charged the same rate as calling the UK from that destination. For more details, check out our International & Roaming Charges page. 

What do I do if calls, texts and data aren’t working abroad?

If you can’t make and receive calls, texts, MMS or use data, it might be due to your allowances and Bill Cap.

If you’re in one of our Inclusive Roaming destinations:

• Log in to the iD Mobile App or My Account online to check your remaining allowances
  • If you’ve used up your allowances, check if you have set a Bill Cap and if you have any balance remaining

If you’re not in an Inclusive Roaming country:

• Check if you have set a Bill Cap and if you have any balance remaining

If that doesn’t do the trick, check your network settings on your phone are correct. The correct settings can be viewed in our handy guide below:

Please contact our Live Chat agents if none of the above has helped solve the problem. Our agents are available to answer chats 9am - 8pm Monday to Friday, and 9am - 6pm Saturday and Sunday.

What is the Roaming fair usage policy?

For more information, please visit our Roaming fair usage policy page. 

This topic has been closed for comments
Why iD Mobile?