Skip to main content
Solved

keeping UK number whilst abroad

• 2 September 2024
  • 1 reply

Hello. 

I'm moving to Australia for for the foreseeable in a few weeks time. I'd like to keep my UK number and have seen lots of contrasting information.

I am on the 10GB paid monthly plan that auto renews monthly on a Google Pixel 6.  I need an Australian number upon arrival. Could I theoretically keep paying my ID contract (perhaps changing it to the cheapest option), despite the fact it will not be used whatsoever, and have an Australian Esim to handle texts, calls and data, therefore dual simming? Would there be any issues with this?

Additionally, should this work, what is the best way to use my UK SIM in Australia to avoid any expensive bills - turning if off completely? I would assume it would work as normal should I need it in both Australia and the UK? 

Thanks in advance! 

Hi @Fynn Murray,

Welcome to the Community! 

You can still use your iD Mobile SIM but usage can be very expensive in Australia.

Unfortunately if you are still in contract you can’t change to a cheaper tariff until the contract end date passes.

You can use an Australian eSIM if the handset supports it but it may be worth setting your iD cap to £0 and keeping roaming off or even completely removing the SIM if you won’t be using it.

The table below displays how much you’ll be charged for any minutes, texts or data that you use.

Roaming Pay monthly Pay-as-you-go****
Calls to UK* £1.68 £1.68
Calls to Australia* £1.68 £1.68
Calls received* £1.50 £1.50
Texts to Australia** £0.42 £0.42
Texts to UK** £0.42 £0.42
Picture message (MMS) sent** £0.60 £0.60
Internet and Data (per MB)*** £0.30 £0.30

* Price per minute

** Please note: MMS charges vary. For further information, refer to Terms & Conditions.

*** Data is charged or deducted in one kilobyte (KB) increments and any part KB used will be rounded up to the nearest KB

**** The charges below will apply to all Pay-as-you-go customers starting from 1st October 2024. Find out more about the current charges here.

Prices shown include VAT where applicable.

Kash