F.A.Q.

Pay monthly upgrades: Everything you need to know

• 16 June 2021
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge

Learn everything you need to know about getting the best upgrade for you with iD Mobile.  

What exactly is an upgrade?

Upgrading allows you to get one of the latest smartphones, without paying the full cost upfront. In order to upgrade, we’ll extend the length of your plan with us and get a new handset with allowances that suit your needs. You can also keep your current number. 

If you're happy with your phone but just want a new plan, you might be able to change your plan

When can I upgrade? 

If you are on a 24-month handset plan, then you can upgrade two calendar months before the end of your contract. If you want to double check when this is, simply log in to the iD Mobile app or My Account online, go to My Account, and if you’re eligible – you’ll see a tile saying, You can upgrade to a new handset!. If this isn’t showing, you can also go to Manage My Plan to get further details of how to make yourself eligible for upgrade. 

If you have your email marketing preferences set to Yes, then we will send you an email when you are due an upgrade with options to suit you.  

Will I be notified when I'm due an upgrade?

If you have a pay monthly handset plan, you’ll receive a notification from us when your minimum contract period is coming to an end. Ofcom (the communications regulator) requires us to share important information with you about what happens after your fixed contract period ends. 

You’ll be reminded what services are included once your contract ends and what your options are. We’ll also include some new deals for you to think about. This is just for your information – you don’t have to change to a new plan if you don’t want to. 

If you don’t do anything, your plan will continue with the same allowances at the same cost. If you had any special benefits that only applied during your contract, these might not continue once your fixed contract period ends. 

Can I Upgrade my phone?

If you're coming to the end of your iD Mobile contract (or if you've had a SIM only plan for more than 6 months), you might be able to upgrade with us today. 

Upgrading your mobile phone with iD

We’ve got a wide range of the latest smartphones here at iD, so we recommend that you regularly check if you’re eligible for an upgrade to make the most of our deals. Then, you might be able to get your hands on the latest smartphone of your choice. 

Here’s how to check if you can upgrade: 

1. Log in to the iD Mobile App or  My Account online 

1. Go to the My Account page 

1. If you're eligible for an upgrade, you will see a tile that says You can upgrade to a new handset!  

1. You can then select Upgrade now to proceed with your upgrade 

1. If you can't see that tile, you still might be eligible to upgrade. To find out, scroll down to Manage my plan and select Check if I can upgrade 

The type of phone and plan you can upgrade to depends on your current plan, your credit rating, and what smartphones we have available. 

How can I check when my plan started?

To check when your plan started, simply: 

• Go to My Account and tap My Plan 

How do I upgrade?

If you're eligible, you can now go ahead and browse through our deals and purchase an upgrade. To do this, log in to your iD Mobile App or My Account online, go to My Account, and then scroll down to My Upgrade. Here, you’ll see all the upgrades that are available to you. Simply select the one you want and click Confirm. Check out our handy guide for more info:

Alternatively, you can pop into any Carphone Warehouse store for a chat and one of their helpful assistants will show you your options. 

Are any additional days added to my contract when I upgrade?

No, there are no additional days added to your contract. Your new plan will start from the moment you upgrade. You won't have to serve the remaining days on your previous plan. 

Can I cancel my upgrade?

Yes, you can cancel your upgrade if you’re not happy with it. If you change your mind, you can cancel your upgrade, so long as it's within the first 30 days of your new iD Mobile plan and you upgraded through our website or over the phone. In-store upgrades can be cancelled within 14 days of purchase

If your cancellation is processed, you'll receive a refund for any upfront payments and your plan will revert back to the original plan you were on (if it's still available). 

Can I upgrade to a lower priced plan?

Yes, you can upgrade to a lower priced plan if the new phone you want has one available.  

Alternatively, if you're happy with your current phone, you've also got the option of changing your plan to SIM only without upgrading to a new handset. At iD Mobile, we always do our best to find the best plan for you - even if it's cheaper than your current one. 

Can I trade-in my old phone?

Yes! You could trade-in your old phone and get cash straight into your bank account. Check out our handy guide about trade-in here:

Can I set up a reminder when I’m due an upgrade? 

Yes, it’s easy to set up a reminder. We can send an email to remind you when you're due an upgrade, you just need to agree to receive our marketing communications. If you’re not sure if you are currently receiving these, it's worth checking your email address is valid.  

Just log in to the iD Mobile App or My Account online, then go to My Account. You can check your upgrade status in this section by selecting My Upgrade

If you choose not to opt in to receive our marketing communications, we'll still send you an email a few weeks before your contract is due to end, with a few upgrade options that we think might suit you. 

How to check if I’m eligible for an upgrade?

It's quick and easy to find out if you're eligible to upgrade with us. Simply log in to your iD Mobile app or My Account online, go to My Account, tap Check if I am eligible, and complete the Upgrade Checker.  

You'll be told if you're eligible for an upgrade almost immediately. And if you're not eligible, you'll be advised what you can do next or what other options you have.  

How often can I upgrade? 

You might want to keep up with the latest smartphone releases, so if you've already upgraded to a handset plan, you'll be able to upgrade again in 24 months from your initial upgrade date. If you have purchased or upgraded to a SIM only plan, you can upgrade to a new handset plan after 6 months.  

What are the benefits of upgrading? 

Upgrading is the best way for you to own one of the very latest smartphones, without paying a lot of money upfront. Or, if any of your needs have changed since you selected your last iD Mobile plan (for example, if you need more monthly data), you can go for a new plan that's just right for you.  

You can even choose a cheaper plan if you wish. 

What happens if I upgrade part of the way through my current billing month?

You'll receive a pro-rated credit for your original line rental and a pro-rated charge for your new plan. You'll also be charged a full month's line rental in advance of your upcoming bill.  

Any out-of-bundle charges for the previous month will also be applied. 

Will I lose my add-on when I upgrade?

If you have an add-on, you can use it even after you upgrade. Your existing add-on is simply added to your new plan. If you wish to remove the add-on, you can do this by going to My Add-ons, selecting the add-on, and choosing the Remove option.

This topic has been closed for comments
Why iD Mobile?