6 signs that it’s time to upgrade your phone

• 29 September 2022
  • 99 replies
6 signs that it’s time to upgrade your phone
Userlevel 8
Badge

Is your smartphone struggling with basic tasks? Do you dread going out without a charger? 

Sounds like it’s time for an upgrade. Unlike cosmetic issues that can sometimes be fixed, processor slow-down and battery issues are inevitable as your phone ages. 

There are loads of warning signs to watch out for, so we’ve popped a few of them in this handy list. If any ring true, it’s time to consider how long you’ve had your phone and if it’s still up to the task. 

1.Failing battery and random shutdowns 

A sure sign that your phone’s on its way out is when the battery life starts to fail. Smartphone batteries are made with lithium-ion and can go through 300-500 full charge cycles before they start to deteriorate. After that, they tend to only hold between 70-80 % of their original capacity, eventually losing the ability to recharge altogether. 

If your phone randomly starts shutting down, it’s time to think seriously about replacing it. The last thing you want is to be out and about with an unusable phone!

2.You can’t update your operating system 

If you’ve had your phone a long time, the manufacturer may eventually stop supporting your device. You won’t be able to upgrade to the latest operating system or install security patches, which may expose your sensitive data to hackers. 

With every OS update, your smartphone experience should become smoother and more intuitive. Using a phone that’s too old means you’ll miss out on tons of new features. Even worse, it might not be compatible with the faster 4G and 5G networks, so you’ll be stuck with slower data speeds. Upgrade before you’re left in the dust. 

3.Your touchscreen is slow to respond 

There’s nothing worse than lag. If your touchscreen is slow to respond to your commands, it’s time to upgrade to a phone that does what you want, when you want. After all, if your touchscreen phone isn’t responding to touch, there isn’t very much it can do. 

4.Your screen or chassis is heavily damaged 

Let’s face it – we’ve all dropped our phones at some point. There’s no feeling quite like tentatively retrieving your phone from the floor and hoping that the screen is intact. But there comes a point when your device has had one mishap too many. A cracked screen’s not a good look, and all those knocks might eventually loosen hardware parts and affect the smooth running of your device. Imagine the delight of a pristine screen with no cracks or scratches. Treat yourself! 

5.Your phone takes poor quality photos and videos 

An old phone means outdated camera tech. Do your photos and videos appear grainy and blurry? Is there a lag between pressing the shutter button and the shot being taken? If yes, you could be due an upgrade. 

Modern smartphone cameras are incredible. Many feature main lenses with over 48 megapixels, backed by wide-angle and macro lenses. They can shoot seamless, shake-free 4K footage and take fantastic selfies with HD front-facing cameras. Being able to capture crisp memories is one of the most compelling reasons to upgrade. 

6.You’ve run out of storage space and memory 

Had your phone for years? All those precious photos, videos and apps means that it’s probably getting full. Unfortunately, if your device doesn’t support expandable storage, there’s not much you can do without having to pay extra for Cloud based storage. Look for a device with upwards of 64GB of storage to store all your photos, videos and other data. 

If larger apps keep crashing on your device whilst they work fine for those around you, you probably need more RAM (Random Access Memory). The more RAM your device has, the quicker it performs tasks and the better it is at multitasking. Many new phones feature upwards of 6GB RAM for incredible responsiveness and the ability to run the latest apps. Make sure you purchase a device with enough RAM for your long-term needs. 

Decided that an upgrade is right for you? Check if you can upgrade now.

Wait! Don’t just chuck your old phone away. There are plenty of ways to get use out of your old phone whilst doing your bit to reduce landfill. 

Consider trading in your old device 

If you purchased your phone within the last 5 years, you may be able trade it in and put the money towards an impressive new device. 

The value of your device will depend on its market value and physical condition. 

Our trade-in service is powered by Currys. See how much your device is worth. 

Giveaway Time:

As we’re approaching one of the busiest shopping seasons of the year! We’ve decided to give one lucky Community member with with a £100 gift voucher to go towards purchasing that essential piece of tech! 

To enter, we want you to tell us what phone you are currently using and what you like about it the most. Is the camera amazing? Does the battery last ages? Let us know below! Also, feel free to add a pic, if you really want to standout! 

Those who share their thoughts will be in with the chance to win... a £100 Currys voucher!

Entries close at 23:59 on 17th October 2022, and we'll announce the lucky iD community winner shortly after.

Good luck!

The Giveaway is now closed for entries! 

99 replies

Userlevel 2

I’m using a Redmi Note 10 Pro which I recently bought on offer to replace a Samsung A32 that worked fine but was too heavy and clunky! Absolute bargain. It all works fine so why pay more. 

The camera on the iPhone 11 is absolutely amazing and the colour complexion is so well blended in if it’s light or dark 

Huawei p10

Just keeps on going strong - hassle free with ID sim

Userlevel 1

I have a Samsung A21. I like the size, and it fiits my pockets. The screen is clear, the camera is good, but it's tired now!

Userlevel 1

I have a Samsung A12 and am very pleased with it. Good price and battery lasts well.

My Samsung Galaxy S20 5G (SM-G981B/DS) is a good Android phone with 2.73GHz Octa-Core processor that allows run games and heavy applications.

An advantage of the Samsung Galaxy S20 5G (SM-G981B/DS) is the possibility of using two mobile carriers, a Dual-SIM device with two SIM card slots.

Great connectivity of this device includes Bluetooth 5.0 + A2DP/LE, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax wifi6 (2.4Ghz, 5Ghz) + MIMO and NFC to make mobile payments or connection to other devices. Including the battery, the Samsung Galaxy S20 5G (SM-G981B/DS) phone has 163 grams and it's a very thin device, only 7.9mm.

Userlevel 1

Huawei P30 Pro. Getting on a bit, but the camera is *awesome* and it's still working ok. Also has a good balance between battery use and charging time. Not upgraded as will need to prioritise energy bills! 😬 Maybe when it warms up in the spring... 

I have been using my iPhone10 now since it was first launched & see no immediate reason to upgrade it.

simp le to use.  Very reliable.

Ken

Nokia 6.1   

It is a good phone… it works- good for the environment as I bought it  2019 January- 

OK well  I can make calls, take blurry pictures and fluffy videos. 

Surfing the internet is a distant memory. 

Wiping everything reveals a decent phone- but the updates slooowww it down.

I just have to wipe and re-configure to get any decent performance until it fills up all available memory with updates!

PLEASE CAN I HAVE A VOUCHER FOR A NEW PHONE!

Samsung galaxy A03s great value all rounder

I’m using an Honor 9 Lite bought in 2018, and still going strong four and a half years later! The dual SIM was important for work overseas at the time, but very happy also with the screen, slim body, good camera, sound quality, and built-in radio which I use every day (you don’t get that from an iPhone!) Even after four years the battery easily lasts nearly two days.

Basically happy with my Galaxy A21 but now out of contract and short on storage so reluctantly need a new phone with greater storage, so £100 will help me decide to stick with id.

I've been using Samsung A12

Great budget phone with a battery which lasts over 12 hours when fully charged if not used extensively. In terms of speed it's reasonable . Great phone to have  It's not so friendly when it's dropped on the floor. Watching YouTube and other using 3rd party apps is reasonable. 

Userlevel 1

I love my old iPhone SE, because it is just the perfect size, the newer phones seem too bulky. That said, the battery isn’t what it once was…

Userlevel 2

Samsung A20e. Love it’s simplicity.

Is your smartphone struggling with basic tasks? Do you dread going out without a charger? 

Sounds like it’s time for an upgrade. Unlike cosmetic issues that can sometimes be fixed, processor slow-down and battery issues are inevitable as your phone ages. 

There are loads of warning signs to watch out for, so we’ve popped a few of them in this handy list. If any ring true, it’s time to consider how long you’ve had your phone and if it’s still up to the task. 

A sure sign that your phone’s on its way out is when the battery life starts to fail. Smartphone batteries are made with lithium-ion and can go through 300-500 full charge cycles before they start to deteriorate. After that, they tend to only hold between 70-80 % of their original capacity, eventually losing the ability to recharge altogether. 

If your phone randomly starts shutting down, it’s time to think seriously about replacing it. The last thing you want is to be out and about with an unusable phone!

If you’ve had your phone a long time, the manufacturer may eventually stop supporting your device. You won’t be able to upgrade to the latest operating system or install security patches, which may expose your sensitive data to hackers. 

With every OS update, your smartphone experience should become smoother and more intuitive. Using a phone that’s too old means you’ll miss out on tons of new features. Even worse, it might not be compatible with the faster 4G and 5G networks, so you’ll be stuck with slower data speeds. Upgrade before you’re left in the dust. 

There’s nothing worse than lag. If your touchscreen is slow to respond to your commands, it’s time to upgrade to a phone that does what you want, when you want. After all, if your touchscreen phone isn’t responding to touch, there isn’t very much it can do. 

Let’s face it – we’ve all dropped our phones at some point. There’s no feeling quite like tentatively retrieving your phone from the floor and hoping that the screen is intact. But there comes a point when your device has had one mishap too many. A cracked screen’s not a good look, and all those knocks might eventually loosen hardware parts and affect the smooth running of your device. Imagine the delight of a pristine screen with no cracks or scratches. Treat yourself! 

An old phone means outdated camera tech. Do your photos and videos appear grainy and blurry? Is there a lag between pressing the shutter button and the shot being taken? If yes, you could be due an upgrade. 

Modern smartphone cameras are incredible. Many feature main lenses with over 48 megapixels, backed by wide-angle and macro lenses. They can shoot seamless, shake-free 4K footage and take fantastic selfies with HD front-facing cameras. Being able to capture crisp memories is one of the most compelling reasons to upgrade. 

Had your phone for years? All those precious photos, videos and apps means that it’s probably getting full. Unfortunately, if your device doesn’t support expandable storage, there’s not much you can do without having to pay extra for Cloud based storage. Look for a device with upwards of 64GB of storage to store all your photos, videos and other data. 

If larger apps keep crashing on your device whilst they work fine for those around you, you probably need more RAM (Random Access Memory). The more RAM your device has, the quicker it performs tasks and the better it is at multitasking. Many new phones feature upwards of 6GB RAM for incredible responsiveness and the ability to run the latest apps. Make sure you purchase a device with enough RAM for your long-term needs. 

Wait! Don’t just chuck your old phone away. There are plenty of ways to get use out of your old phone whilst doing your bit to reduce landfill. 

If you purchased your phone within the last 5 years, you may be able trade it in and put the money towards an impressive new device. 

The value of your device will depend on its market value and physical condition. 

Giveaway Time:

As we’re approaching one of the busiest shopping seasons of the year! We’ve decided to give one lucky Community member with with a £100 gift voucher to go towards purchasing that essential piece of tech! 

To enter, we want you to tell us what phone you are currently using and what you like about it the most. Is the camera amazing? Does the battery last ages? Let us know below! Also, feel free to add a pic, if you really want to standout! 

Those who share their thoughts will be in with the chance to win... a £100 Currys voucher!

Entries close at 23:59 on 17th October 2022, and we'll announce the lucky iD community winner shortly after.

Good luck!

Google pixel 6 pro amazing phone camera is amazing at night time and zoom love it I recommend to anyone

To enter, we want you to tell us

what phone you are currently using: Samsung S8

what you like about it the most: Compact

Is the camera amazing? OK, not amazing

Does the battery last ages? Last a day most days

Martin

Userlevel 1

Poco X4 pro 5G great all round phone at a reasonable price.

Giveaway Time:

Xperia L3 Love the battery life and the app storage.

Good luck!

Userlevel 1

I’ve still got my iPhone 7. Plenty of memory, decent camera, battery still ok. Fully paid for several years ago. It does the job well.

Userlevel 1

I'm currently using the Oppo A72, 128GB (Dual SIM). The phones best feature is the camera. For a low budget android phone, the camera quality is amazing. It has a Rear Sensor: 48MP & 8MP & 2MP & 2MP with a Front Sensor: 16MP. It has great battery life, lasting for 2-3 days with normal use. Some features are good enough to contend with the premium mobiles in the market.

Userlevel 1

I love ID. What more can you say. It is good value, efficient and the app is easy to use 

Userlevel 1

I love ID. What more can you say. It is good value, efficient and the app is easy to use 

My phone is an I phone 13. And everything about it is brilliant 

Userlevel 2

The phone I am tapping on is an iPhone 11. A great all-round phone on a realiable network 😉. And still works great to this day on the latest iOS. Now I better go and charge 🔋the battery, eek! 

I love the new widget centre, but can see this being developed as time goes by :)

Userlevel 1

I have a Moto G7 Power phone and love it most because of it’s long battery life. It was reasonably priced (£169) when I bought it over 3 years ago and is still going strong. It works well with my ID Mobile sim card which costs me only £8 month for 16GB data and unlimited calls and texts. Altogether a great combo.

Why iD Mobile?