Blog

What’s new in the world of tech? - August 2021

What’s new in the world of tech? - August 2021
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • iD Mobile Employee
  • 118 replies

AI, space tourism and cutting-edge consumer tech – it’s all happening in 2021…

With much of the daily news focused on the covid-19 pandemic and the global response, you’d be forgiven for missing out on all the exciting developments that are happening right now in the world of technology. And there are quite a few.

In some cases, the global pandemic and varying stages of lockdown have meant that technological advancements have sped up rapidly. Businesses and institutions that were previously set in their ways are now a hive of digital collaboration and automation. Schools, offices and shops have adapted to a changing world with the help of amazing tech, and artificial intelligence is getting even smarter. The present is looking ever more futuristic!

Even the world of consumer tech is unrecognisable compared to just a few years ago. So, what’s new?

Amazon and Virgin CEOs Blast Off Into Space:

We’ll start big. Space tourism has been a long-held dream for many, and it looks like we’ve moved a little closer to it becoming a reality! In July, Virgin founder Richard Branson and Amazon chief Jeff Bezos made history by joining only a handful of non-astronauts to have taken a trip above the atmosphere. Branson’s Virgin Galactic project has been developed over the past 17 years, while Bezos’ Blue Origin was founded way back in 2000.

Both space flights launched from the US within days of each other, with Bezos’ flight taking just 11 minutes between launch and landing, and Branson’s around 90 minutes. While we’re still in the very early days of commercial space flight, what we do know is that both Virgin Galactic and Blue Origin travel 66 miles above the surface of the earth, and are expected to charge between $200,000 and $250,000 for the once-in-a-lifetime trip. So start saving now!

Apple’s Self-driving Car:

We may not be there just yet, but automated vehicles will likely transform how we get from A to B forever. And Apple are set to be at the heart of it.

It’s no secret that the guys behind the iPhone, iPod and MacBook have been developing the idea. They first started exploring the concept in 2014, hiring over 1000 car experts and engineers to design an electric car. In December last year, it was confirmed Apple are still very much working on it, and aim to release a vehicle in three to six years’ time.

What we do know is that Apple will work with a manufacturing partner to produce the cars. The plan is to make a car that allows the ‘driver’ to enter their destination and get there with barely any engagement. They’re also developing a new battery for the car that uses less space and has a much greater range. We can’t wait to see what they come up with.

Cloud-based Gaming:

If you’re a gamer, you probably miss that feeling of being able to buy a game and dive straight in without the lengthy install process. Some games these days can take as much as half a day to install! There is a solution though, and it’s online.

Cloud gaming means that once again, you can play right away. Instead of installing the game directly to your console or PC and using up tons of storage, games are run on a remote server and then streamed to your device as a video. And as connectivity improves, cloud gaming will get better. Faster internet will mean better games, better graphics and faster response times. What’s not to love?

It’s been around for a little while, with the likes of Xbox Game Pass, PlayStation Now and Google Stadia developing the concept. But it’s growing. Fast. In 2020, almost as many people signed up to a cloud gaming service as they did to Netflix. And speaking of Netflix, we’re hearing news that they’re looking to get into the cloud gaming realm too. Watch this space.

What about mobile phones?

Cheaper 5G Phones:

We’re still very much in the early days of 5G connectivity, but it’s amazing to see it already setting new standards.  It means faster downloads, faster loading times, consistent signal in high traffic areas. Even away from phones, 5G is changing the way we work, play and interact.

Now, no matter what your budget, you can treat yourself to 5G speeds. We’ve seen phones like the OPPO A54 and Samsung Galaxy A22 offer extreme speed and connectivity at a very affordable price, and we expect phones to double down on that trend. Soon, we’ll all be making HD calls, downloading 4K movies in seconds and gaming like pros on the go. The future is 5G!

Higher Refresh Rates:

We’ve mentioned refresh rates before – it means how frequently your phone screen flashes every second. The more frequent, the smoother everything looks. While most smartphones from just two years ago supported a refresh rate of around 60hz, now, we’re seeing screens that go up to 90hz, 120hz and even beyond.

Phones like the Samsung S21 range and Sony Xperia 5 can adjust all the way to a super smooth 120hz, and it’s looking like that feature is starting to arrive on more budget friendly phones, too. Mobile gaming is about to level up.

LiDAR Sensors:

The iPhone 12 Pro turned heads when it was announced, and that’s because it had one thing that no other smartphone has ever had before – a LiDAR sensor. What this does is shine beams of infrared light that bounce off of surfaces to create a 3D map. In fact, it’s the tech that’s being used to develop the self-driving car, but it also works a treat with smartphone cameras.

By creating a 3D map of the scene you’re shooting, your phone works out where objects are in relation to each other to create a much more realistic photo. While it’s currently only available on the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max, we expect to see Android phones using this technology in the not too distant future. Your camera roll never looked so good.

Competition Time:

We’ve shared what we think are the biggest tech developments over the past few months, and now we want to hear from you!

What technological advancements or pieces of tech have you seen, heard about or purchased that’s got you excited? Let us know below for a chance to win the incredible OPPO Find X3 NEO.

Standard competition T&Cs apply.

Competition closes 21st September 2021. 

Best of luck!

Winner Announcement:

As always a huge thank you to everyone who took part in this awesome competition celebrating the introduction of a new topic on the Community. We cannot wait to continue sharing the latest advancements in mobile and tech and discover what you are all interested in and have your eyes on!

Now! enough about that. Back to the competition!

Please join me in congratulating @Prologica ! You are the winner of a brand new Oppo Find X3 Neo!

Who will win our next competition? Only time will tell, check out our 50K members article on the homepage to enter our new competition. 

Thanks for entering :D

99 replies

Ak47s and left over equipment seems to work don't chage whats not broken 

Competition Time:

We’ve shared what we think are the biggest tech developments over the past few months, and now we want to hear from you!

What technological advancements or pieces of tech have you seen, heard about or purchased that’s got you excited? Let us know below for a chance to win the incredible OPPO Find X3 NEO.

Competition closes 14th September 2021. 

Best of luck!

I cannot wait for the Samsung galaxy watch 4 to come out, seems like its better than all its predecessors, am hoping to buy it and the new Galaxy Z fold phone is really cool I can’t believe we’re back in the time with flip phones. Lol. :D

Boring answer but the ease at which you can upgrade to a new mobile phone is great. I remember years gone by it was a right chew on to set a new phone up but now its a couple of buttons presses and away it goes

PlayStation 5 if I can ever get hold of one 🤪

Userlevel 1

20+ years ago I started to work for a local bus company they provided us with mobile phones a few years after It was so much trouble carrying 2 phones around so I went on my Chinese web sites were I have been buying technology items  for years as they are so far forward in technology and I got a cheep £14 Duel SIM phone and SIM 1 was mine and SIM 2 was work I always remember the passenger's saying how have you managed to get 2 phones in one I just laughed but then 6 years down the line they started to arrive in the UK and people said what a great invention but it was the normal thing in china let's see if they invent one that beams you up to a destination of your choice Lol beam me up Scottie come to mind John.

Userlevel 1

The Future of Floorina British clean-tech company, is taking an innovative approach to sustainability by generating energy from something that most people do every day: walk.

The technology is basically a multifunctional, custom flooring system that is outfitted with a wireless transmitter, which allows the data from the tiles to be captured, and generators that harness kinetic energy as people walk. That sounds complicated, but the way that it works is simple: As people walk over the flooring, the pressure causes generators in the flooring to vertically displace. This creates kinetic energy through electro-magnetic induction, and that energy can then be used to power lighting or whatever else is needed.

In short, the company is converting the kinetic energy from your footsteps into electricity.

In an interview with Futurism, Pavegen CEO  noted that this is a new area of energy production, one which comes with a lot of exciting possibilities. “When a person walks, they generate 5 watts of energy continuously, so you are, we all are, a 5-watt power-feed. Now imagine 10 people,” he continued, “that’s 50 watts of energy continuously.” That may not seem like an exorbitant amount of energy, but it is enough to supply power for a number of needs. For example, the technology can be used to illuminate paths as pedestrians walk upon them, which could potentially curb crime.

And it does more than just supply light as someone walks across the tiles. “You can store the energy from people,” Kemball-Cook noted. “Let’s say you have 40,000 people an hour passing through Grand Central Station, that energy is stored in batteries, and at night time, the power comes on. So municipalities, train stations, offices, schools—anywhere with lots of people walking — that’s perfect for us.”

The tech can also be used to supply power to radios and a number of other devices.

The flooring system’s design, which currently features a triangular shape, is meant to easily integrate into public spaces, as well as maximize energy capture and output. The latest iteration of the technology is said to be more efficient, durable, and 200 times more powerful than the initial version, which was created in 2009 .

AI, space tourism and cutting-edge consumer tech – it’s all happening in 2021…

With much of the daily news focused on the covid-19 pandemic and the global response, you’d be forgiven for missing out on all the exciting developments that are happening right now in the world of technology. And there are quite a few.

In some cases, the global pandemic and varying stages of lockdown have meant that technological advancements have sped up rapidly. Businesses and institutions that were previously set in their ways are now a hive of digital collaboration and automation. Schools, offices and shops have adapted to a changing world with the help of amazing tech, and artificial intelligence is getting even smarter. The present is looking ever more futuristic!

Even the world of consumer tech is unrecognisable compared to just a few years ago. So, what’s new?

Amazon and Virgin CEOs Blast Off Into Space:

We’ll start big. Space tourism has been a long-held dream for many, and it looks like we’ve moved a little closer to it becoming a reality! In July, Virgin founder Richard Branson and Amazon chief Jeff Bezos made history by joining only a handful of non-astronauts to have taken a trip above the atmosphere. Branson’s Virgin Galactic project has been developed over the past 17 years, while Bezos’ Blue Origin was founded way back in 2000.

Both space flights launched from the US within days of each other, with Bezos’ flight taking just 11 minutes between launch and landing, and Branson’s around 90 minutes. While we’re still in the very early days of commercial space flight, what we do know is that both Virgin Galactic and Blue Origin travel 66 miles above the surface of the earth, and are expected to charge between $200,000 and $250,000 for the once-in-a-lifetime trip. So start saving now!

Apple’s Self-driving Car:

We may not be there just yet, but automated vehicles will likely transform how we get from A to B forever. And Apple are set to be at the heart of it.

It’s no secret that the guys behind the iPhone, iPod and MacBook have been developing the idea. They first started exploring the concept in 2014, hiring over 1000 car experts and engineers to design an electric car. In December last year, it was confirmed Apple are still very much working on it, and aim to release a vehicle in three to six years’ time.

What we do know is that Apple will work with a manufacturing partner to produce the cars. The plan is to make a car that allows the ‘driver’ to enter their destination and get there with barely any engagement. They’re also developing a new battery for the car that uses less space and has a much greater range. We can’t wait to see what they come up with.

Cloud-based Gaming:

If you’re a gamer, you probably miss that feeling of being able to buy a game and dive straight in without the lengthy install process. Some games these days can take as much as half a day to install! There is a solution though, and it’s online.

Cloud gaming means that once again, you can play right away. Instead of installing the game directly to your console or PC and using up tons of storage, games are run on a remote server and then streamed to your device as a video. And as connectivity improves, cloud gaming will get better. Faster internet will mean better games, better graphics and faster response times. What’s not to love?

It’s been around for a little while, with the likes of Xbox Game Pass, PlayStation Now and Google Stadia developing the concept. But it’s growing. Fast. In 2020, almost as many people signed up to a cloud gaming service as they did to Netflix. And speaking of Netflix, we’re hearing news that they’re looking to get into the cloud gaming realm too. Watch this space.

Cheaper 5G Phones:

We’re still very much in the early days of 5G connectivity, but it’s amazing to see it already setting new standards.  It means faster downloads, faster loading times, consistent signal in high traffic areas. Even away from phones, 5G is changing the way we work, play and interact.

Now, no matter what your budget, you can treat yourself to 5G speeds. We’ve seen phones like the OPPO A54 and Samsung Galaxy A22 offer extreme speed and connectivity at a very affordable price, and we expect phones to double down on that trend. Soon, we’ll all be making HD calls, downloading 4K movies in seconds and gaming like pros on the go. The future is 5G!

Higher Refresh Rates:

We’ve mentioned refresh rates before – it means how frequently your phone screen flashes every second. The more frequent, the smoother everything looks. While most smartphones from just two years ago supported a refresh rate of around 60hz, now, we’re seeing screens that go up to 90hz, 120hz and even beyond.

Phones like the Samsung S21 range and Sony Xperia 5 can adjust all the way to a super smooth 120hz, and it’s looking like that feature is starting to arrive on more budget friendly phones, too. Mobile gaming is about to level up.

LiDAR Sensors:

The iPhone 12 Pro turned heads when it was announced, and that’s because it had one thing that no other smartphone has ever had before – a LiDAR sensor. What this does is shine beams of infrared light that bounce off of surfaces to create a 3D map. In fact, it’s the tech that’s being used to develop the self-driving car, but it also works a treat with smartphone cameras.

By creating a 3D map of the scene you’re shooting, your phone works out where objects are in relation to each other to create a much more realistic photo. While it’s currently only available on the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max, we expect to see Android phones using this technology in the not too distant future. Your camera roll never looked so good.

Competition Time:

Competition closes 14th September 2021. 

Best of luck!

I’ve been lucky enough to get a newer drone than my DJI Phantom 3 , I now have a DJI Mavic pro and wow between the size difference and the new software running , it’s very easy to fly you can even get it to fly itself and you can just change the angle of the camera for video or still photography, and they have loads coming as of today 8 sept they have launched a new selfie stick which also has motors and it’s got a magnetic clip for phone , unbelievable rock on new tech love it 

rob 

Technological advancements... The mars rover. Love. Keeping an eye on that and any developments! 

This was for the competition, have I put it in the wrong place ?

Userlevel 2

We just bought VR, it is amazing.  My kids and husband are hooked :-)

Love this phone,would love to win it.My friend has one and he keeps gushing about it,to try and make me jealous.And he has succeeded,because I am.

Userlevel 1

What technological advancements or pieces of tech have you seen, heard about or purchased that’s got you excited?

A lot of technology has improved like 5g cloud gaming but I think food tech has been slept on. AirFryer is a piece of tech that once you have you can’t go back it’s fast cheap and healthy what more could you ask for. I’ve never had an oppo and to be fair i think it’s time for a change from iPhones unless the new iPhone13 is a breakthrough 

Userlevel 1

Apple’s Self-drivin Car

Cloud-based Gaming:

Cheaper 5G Phones:

Higher Refresh Rates:

LiDAR Sensors:

Competition Time:

Competition closes 14th September 2021. 

Best of luck!

Userlevel 1

I think 5G and cloud gaming ain’t as my expectations but still they are new how ever food tech is game changing like AirFryer it’s faster cheaper and healthier I think food tech had definitely been slept on

Userlevel 1

from a young age I've loved scifi movies/shows. The gadgets and tech seemed unbelievable and far fetched. Yet fast forward 30 years and most of the unbelievable is common day tech that this generation can't function without. From mobiles more powerful than computers to nano tech and AI, the application of the latter is barely scratching the surface. Recently I've heard of the blind being able to regain sight via an  operation involving a tooth from the host being shaped and bonded to the cornea, medical science advancements like this excite me. 

Userlevel 1

Personally, I’ve recently got into using wi-fi plugs to operate all kinds of devices in the home - 16 now in use!  Alongside, Philips Hue lights, wireless speakers, and the Alexa voice interface I feel like the future I was promised as a teenager has at last arrived now I’m past 60!

Userlevel 1

Well good luck as they are not all as they are made up to be I will say no more you will see what I mean good  luck  Simon v  john.

When i was out on my military operation i was excited to be issued a NVD (night vision device) which was really cool. The good thing was that i could really see in the dark but the best thing was it could switch to IR mode and it got way cooler when a C17 aircraft was hovering above us providing IR light to us and i could about a few kilometres away.  

My Grado ear buds

Userlevel 2

Love the idea of a self drive car. Hate driving and parking!

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

So who won the phone? It wasn’t me! 😞

Userlevel 1

This pandemic took its turn in the United Kingdom to become a “pingdemic” since the app by National Health Service pings many employees to be self-quarantine for  ten days as they makes any connection with a sufferer. 

____________________---

Anthony Constantinou CEO CWM FX

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi Everyone!

Thank you to all of you for entering this awesome competition! You have all mentioned some awesome tech and advancements. We will be looking through and revealing the winner shortly. 

Thanks again for entering and get ready for a new competition coming soon. 

*Please note that this competition has now closed and any comments after this post will not be considered in the prize draw. 

Emil

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Congratulations @Prologica you have won the incredible Oppo Find X3 Neo!! - We have sent you a PM, please respond as soon as possible :)

Congratulations again and thank you to everyone who took part. Why not check out our new competition on our new article celebrating 50K Community members below.

Userlevel 1

Mixed reality is great. Virtual reality is cool, but it lacks the oomph and sheer productivity that MR provides, and maybe this way I’d actually finally be able to stick to my to-do lists!

Why iD Mobile?