Skip to main content

I am in the USA and desperately need to use mobile data. Roaming is turned on, cap is extended and I have plenty of data on my account. Really need ID to sort what's going on. 

Hey @RichardG01,

Please follow the steps in this guide:

For Step 4, try the following networks:

United States AT&T
United States Commnet Wireless (via Comfone)
United States T-Mobile

Hi Matthew 

None of these have worked. An error code comes up which when I follow it tells me I've used up my data allowance yet I have 10.9g on my account for the next 14 days and 5.4g from a previous top up until next year. 

Could really do with some help

Richard 

In that case @RichardG01, please contact our Live Chat team who can look further into your account.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/live-chat

Thanks.

Hi Matthew 

I have been speaking with your online chat who have basically told me ID are working on relationships with network providers in the USA. So at this time, other than WiFi, there is no way for me to use data network in the United States. Something I was not aware of the last time I renewed my contract a few weeks ago. Needless to say, knowing I was travelling to America I would have chosen another network if I'd known this. I have raised a complaint and stated that I will be making a series of accurate online reviews to make potential ID customers aware, contacting ofcom and looking to void my account with ID if this can't be resolved ASAP (today). 

Only network provider I've been with that doesn't operate in the USA

Thanks 

@RichardG01 I’m sorry to hear this, I don’t think you’ve been provided the correct information, we do have a Roaming Agreement in the USA. If you’re only using Data, I’d recommend picking up a local SIM or eSIM to use on your travels. While I appreciate this is not as convenient, you’ll likely save compared to our current Roaming charges, which is £0.30 a MB.

Thanks.

If I'm on contract phone with ID will another provider sim work? Wouldn't I have to get the phone unlocked?

If I'm on contract phone with ID will another provider sim work? Wouldn't I have to get the phone unlocked?

iD Mobile handsets aren’t usually network locked, @RichardG01.

OFCOM stopped UK mobile network operators from selling locked handsets in Dec 2021. 

Thanks Matthew. I am still keen to understand why I can't use my phone in another country without having to buy a new SIM card. 

Thanks Matthew. I am still keen to understand why I can't use my phone in another country without having to buy a new SIM card. 

Unfortunately iD Mobile rely on their US roaming partners providing network services when you’re in the USA, @RichardG01

In theory you can use your iD SIM to roam in the USA, assuming everything is setup on your handset with the iD SIM, and your iD account, to allow roaming in the USA to work. 

When you arrive in the USA, if everything is configured properly you should receive an iD Mobile roaming rates SMS text message. 

If not, then roaming in the USA, with your iD SIM card, could be problematic.

Thanks, it's the first and only time this has happened to me with a phone network 

Thanks, it's the first and only time this has happened to me with a phone network 

Not sure how frequently you visit the USA, @RichardG01 - nowadays you’d need a 4G capable handset in the USA, because 2G and 3G network services have largely been shut down by the mobile network operators in the USA. 

I have 5g and 4g

Well it's been nearly 7 days since ID said they would call in 24 hours to help resolve my complaint. Great customer service?!?

@RichardG01, sorry to hear this, I've just raised with our Secondline team to investigate the account. In the meantime, have you double checked your APN settings?

https://community.idmobile.co.uk/troubleshooting%2D177/what%2Dare%2Did%2Dmobile%2Ds%2Dnetwork%2Dapn%2Dsettings%2D45086

Thanks.

@RichardG01 - can confirm there is no fault with your account, which suggests there may be a configuration issue on your handset. They’ve sent me the following:

Check if data roaming is switched "ON" on the customer's device. I have sent customer internet setting via text, request customer to verify and do the changes if required. If still same issue, request customer to reset network setting and then try.

Thanks.

Hi Matthew 

Followed this through and restarted the phone and still no joy. The APN was already set as per your instructions. 

I'm giving up

same issue and been told that technical team will be in contact. big joke if u asked me. no roaming

Yeah sorry to say they didn't resolve the issue all the time I was in the US. If they can't resolve the issue they just need to hold their hands up so people can make alternative arrangements instead of trying to fix the unfixable. Push them for money off your next bill

@originalbep - did you follow the steps in this article?

For Step 4, try the following networks:

United States AT&T
United States Commnet Wireless (via Comfone)
United States T-Mobile

Yes i did. A ticket was made several days ago and no one has called or messaged so i gave up

@originalbep - happy to escalate this to our Second Line team if you’d like to investigate further? Let me know. Thanks!