New Year, New You: 5 tips to make the most of 2023

New Year, New You: 5 tips to make the most of 2023
Userlevel 8
Badge +3

It’s that time again – New Year! And like loads of people, you’re probably doing some deep thinking about the year ahead. How are you going to make this year your year? What new skills are you eager to learn? How will you set time aside to focus on the things that really matter?

We all ask ourselves these questions – and there’s no right answer. The answers are as varied as we are! But if you’ve made some serious resolutions, the one thing you’ll need to achieve them is motivation.

So this January, we thought we’d do something a little different. Instead of counting down the most popular resolutions (that’s so last year), we’ve put together some great New Year inspo that might be a springboard to even bigger things.

1.Focus on your health

You know the saying: health is wealth. But we’re not just talking about that January gym subscription – we mean feeling good physically AND mentally.

Whatever your specific goals are for 2023, the drive to achieve them often starts when you’re in a good place. Set some time aside each day to do something that clears your mind and relieves stress. We’re talking yoga, meditation, heading out for a jog or yes, lifting in the gym.

The trick to sticking to it? Make your routine enjoyable. Find healthy recipes you love to cook and eat. Do activities that excite you instead of going autopilot on the treadmill. The first step is always the toughest, but once you’re in a routine, self-care can be extremely rewarding. And it means you’re better placed to overcome any challenges on the road to your goals.

2.Look after your finances

This is one that should be on every list, every year. Getting a handle on your financial security doesn’t have to be a chore. There are plenty of easy steps you can take to make sure you’re always on top of expenses, building savings and setting money aside to do the things you’ve always wanted. You can even get help from your phone in the form of nifty money management apps.

Think about it – how often do we make a purchase that totals up to a whole number? Not often at all. There are banking apps that can round up every payment you make to the nearest pound, putting that extra cash in a special pot to fund whatever big plans you have in mind – Hawaiian cruise, anyone? Or if you want something a little more functional, you can create a pot to whittle down those monthly bills with every transaction. And of course, aside from apps, setting a budget in advance is a great way to get a financial head start.

You don’t need to completely overhaul your lifestyle to make your money go further. Check out our guide for more money-saving inspiration.

The iD Mobile Guide to Saving Money in 2022

3.Make plans to achieve your aspirations

Think about what you really want to do. A dream you’ve always had in the back of your mind but never quite got around to. What’s holding you back from making it a reality? 2023 could be the year it finally happens…

Who knows - you might have an idea for a brilliant novel, the skills to fluently speak another language, the determination to learn a new instrument or the talent to become great at a new sport. The possibilities are endless, and having a plan to make them happen just makes your aspirations that much more realistic. Want to make it easier? Break that big aspiration down into smaller goals and milestones. Those little ‘job well done’ moments are what will make it sustainable and rewarding.

If it’s the data you need to help you get closer to that goal, there are apps out there that can help. Check out Strides on the App Store. It’s one of the best apps for setting goals, and you can track them in four different ways. Plus, you can even plot in milestones to keep you feeling motivated.

4.Make time for family and friends

Between work and home life, it can often feel like there just aren’t enough hours in the day to keep in regular touch with loved ones. But it’s the people closest to us that enrich our lives the most – not work, and not evening Netflix binges (we’re all guilty). Take the time to check in with your friends and family. Call, text, WhatsApp, FaceTime – or even go old school and pop over to say hi.

Make plans to do things together, whether it’s in person or virtually. Go out to eat, join a gym together or take a trip to the theatre. If they’re long distance, download a Chrome extension like Teleparty to watch your favourite Netflix series together. Whatever you do, just take the time to do what you love with the people you love. 

5.Disconnect from your phone

We know – this probably isn’t the kind of resolution you’d expect to hear from us! After all, we are a phone network. However, there are times when you simply want to disconnect from the world and get the most out of whatever you’re doing; be it sleeping, writing an assignment or watching that big season finale. And we don’t just mean putting your phone down – take a break from social media if you feel like you could do with some time away.

Both iPhones and Androids have great digital wellbeing features to help you power down when you need to. If you have an iPhone, set up Downtime to give you a break whenever you want to put your phone down for a little while. Just head to Settings > Screen Time > Downtime. You can set a schedule to take a break at the same time each day, or even customise what days you want to set your phone aside and for how long.

With Android’s digital wellbeing settings, there are two options. You can block any distracting apps, pings and notifications in Focus Mode. Or, if you want to improve the quality of your sleep, set up Bedtime Mode to silence your phone and change the screen to black and white at set times. Simply head to Settings > Digital Wellbeing to get started.

Giveaway time! - Closed

This month we’re giving one lucky winner the chance to celebrate the New Year with a choice of FITBIT Charger 5 or £100 Currys gift voucher.

To be in with a chance to win we want you to tell us whether you are making a new years resolution and, for those that are, what it is.

Entries close at 23:59 on 19th January 2023, and we'll announce the lucky iD community winner shortly after.

We’ll notify the winner by direct message here on the Community, so please keep an eye on your inbox.

Good Luck!

This topic has been closed for comments

457 replies

Userlevel 1

I will not be making a new year resolution, because five years ago I made the first NYR that I have actually stuck to … which was to give up making new year resolutions!

Userlevel 1

My New Year’s Resolution is to start to meditate and improve all aspects of my life as a result.  I’m already making great progress nearly 3 weeks in.

Userlevel 1

Yes I am! I’m a wheelchair user and I’ve become fed up with people telling me I can’t do something just because of my disability. So this year I’m going to try to be more optimistic and positive, and also try a new accessible sport like wheelchair basketball or rugby to vent the anger out! 😆

Userlevel 1

My new years resolution is to remember to be kind to myself and spend time with the people I love ❤️ 

My goal is to have a successful wedding, start my life with my wife and pass my degree first time! 

Userlevel 1

I am now 77 years old and my resolution is to live life to the full!

Userlevel 1

YES, I have made a New Years Resolution. To remain calm whilst driving! 

Why iD Mobile?