Our top hidden phone features

Our top hidden phone features
Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Most of us use our smartphones every single day, but it’s probably fair to say we don’t always get the most out of them. Or actually realise how to. There’s a ton of clever features tucked away just out of sight on iPhone and Android that you might not know about. From fun ones to the more practical, here are a few of our favourites that you’re definitely going to want to try out…

Document scanner

Got an important doc you need to scan and send for work? No worries. If you’ve got an iPhone, fire up your Notes app. Create a new note, and then tap the camera icon at the bottom of your screen. Hit ‘Scan Documents’ and position your camera over the document. It’ll then automatically snap it for you. But if you want some more control, hit ‘Auto’ in the top right corner. It’ll switch to ‘Manual’ mode, letting you scan it in the same way you’d take a photo. Then just crop the corners of your doc, and when you’re happy with it, hit save. Sorted.

It's a bit different on Android. Open your camera app and place it over the document. If it’s all in shot, a yellow border will pop up around it. Press the ‘Tap to Scan’ button and then drag your corners to set the scan area. When it’s looking good, press save to store it. Who needs a printer with a scanner, eh?

Magnifying glass

Don’t just sit there squinting at some tiny text (or your colleagues’ scruffy handwriting). On iPhone, swipe right past your home screens until your App Library pops up. Find the ‘Utilities’ folder, open it up, and you’ll spot the Magnifier app. Use it to zoom right in on those hard-to-read words. You can even tweak the contrast and brightness to make things way clearer.

For Android, you’ll need to open your camera app. Instead of pinching your fingers together on the screen, move them apart. This’ll help to magnify whatever you’re looking at. And save you an annoying headache in the long run.

Pedometer

This might give you the nudge you need to get up and going. In the Health app on your iPhone, there’s a pedometer which automatically counts your steps. It’ll compare your data week on week too. So, if you’ve been a real couch potato, it’ll quickly let you know. Click ‘Edit’ on your favourites section and you can track a bunch of other stats as well. Whether that’s distance covered or your walking speed. You’ll be able to really dig into all the important fitness nitty gritty to see how you’re getting on.

Google phones have their own app too (imaginatively called Google Fit). Just hit the ‘Steps’ button and it’ll record how much you’ve walked. And Samsung’s own Health app does the same job as well. So, there’s an option there for whatever kind of phone you’ve got.

Emoji and text shortcuts

If you want to save even more time while you text, check out text replacement shortcuts. On iPhone, head to your settings and click ‘Keyboard’ then ‘Text Replacement’. Hit the plus symbol in the top right corner and two boxes will appear. In the box ‘Shortcut’ you can put either an emoji or an acronym, and then the longer version of it in the ‘Phrase’ box above. This way, when you hit your chosen emoji, or write the short version of something like ‘omw’, the full ‘on my way’ will show up instead. Smart.

Search photos by category

Those 40 selfies. Multiple pics of your nan’s cute dog. Too many memes to count. Most of us have a camera roll that’s stuffed full of snaps. But on Android and iPhone, you can quickly find that photo you need. Go to your pictures and tap the ‘Search’ icon. Then type in any word you like. It should then pull up any relevant images - saving you a bunch of time in the process.

Giveaway Time! - Closed for new entries. 

This month we’re giving you the chance to win a £100 Currys gift voucher! 

All you have to do is tell us below, what’s your favourite phone feature or hidden trick that not everyone may know about is. Maybe you use Google Lens to help you with translations, or perhaps you are a master of using gesture controls. Whatever it is we want to know!

Simply type your response below and click send - you’ll automatically be entered in to our random prize-draw. 

Entries close at 23:59 on 24th March 2023, and we'll announce the lucky iD community winner shortly after. 

Good Luck! 

T&C’s Apply 

167 replies

Finding a photo by location by using the map feature or a photos of a person by searching for their name on the iPhone are two features I use all the time 

Userlevel 1

My favourite feature is one handed Mode because you can operate way easier with just a one hand.

Userlevel 1

I particularly like the offline live transcription function on Pixel 6/7 using the built in Recorder, it can now even distinguish different speakers!

Using the necessary feature to pay with my phone means I can leave the wallet at home.

Userlevel 1

My favourite feature at the moment is the timer. Its brill to use and set whilst im potty training him lol 

My favourite hidden trick is the assures touch button. If you break your home button on an older iPhone or want the home button back on a new iPhone it does this- it also screenshots and shake feature and gestures 

Userlevel 2

Scheduling to send text messages. It's super handy for when you want to wish someone a happy birthday, but you're afraid you'll forget later. Or, if you need to remind someone of something important, but you won't be available at that time. You can just set the message and let the phone do the rest.

My favourite feature is the zoom out feature on the camera, so good! 

Best thing is the QR code scanner because it can help you to find the site you are looking for in a instant.

Probably the quick access to calculator from swiping diagonally in top right corner as I use this a lot for work adding up orders. I like the scan document one I’ve just learned from notes… thank u!

Swiping along the space bar to move the cursor is an incredibly handy feature that not everyone knows about

I love the app Goodlock on samsung especially on my fold & good guardians to boost ur apps after an update 😀 

Userlevel 1

The best feature is Google lens. I use the camera lens when abroad, recently in Turkey to read food menus and sign postings. I also use it as a Siri type function and speak into it to voice translate with taxi drivers. It is hands down the best! 

Userlevel 1

Press the power button five times rapidly for SOS mode. 

I find this reassuring that it’s so easily accessible but also very subtle. 

Userlevel 1

The photo function. Taking a photo of external information posters or scenes provide the option of simply just enlarging the image to enable one to read small print or analyse intricate detail. Additionally, taking photos of products and prices from multiple retailers help to compare deals, as well serving as a reminder to oneself of future items to purchase.

Userlevel 1

I love the Smart View feature so I can cast my phone onto my TV to look at photos, watch videos, YouTube etc.

Most of us use our smartphones every single day, but it’s probably fair to say we don’t always get the most out of them. Or actually realise how to. There’s a ton of clever features tucked away just out of sight on iPhone and Android that you might not know about. From fun ones to the more practical, here are a few of our favourites that you’re definitely going to want to try out…

Document scanner

scannent. It’ll then automatically snap it for you. But if you want some more control, hit ‘Auto’ in the top right corner. It’ll switch to ‘Manual’ mode, letting you scan i with it, hit save. Sorted.

It's a bit different on Android. Open your camera app and place it over the document. If it’s all in shot, a yellow border will pop up around it. Press the ‘Tap to Scan’ button and then drag your corners to set the scan area. When it’s looking good, press save to store it. Who needs a printer with a scanner, eh?

Magnifying glass

Don’t just sit there squinting at some tiny text (or your colleagues’ scruffy handwriting). On iPhone, swipe right past your home screens until your App Library pops up. Find the ‘Utilities’ folder, open it up, and you’ll spot the Magnifier app. Use it to zoom right in on those hard-to-read words. You can even tweak the contrast and brightness to make things way clearer.

For Android, you’ll need to open your camera app. Instead of pinching your fingers together on the screen, move them apart. This’ll help to magnify whatever you’re looking at. And save you an annoying headache in the long run.

Pedometer

This might give you the nudge you need to get up and going. In the Health app on your iPhone, there’s a pedometer which automatically counts your steps. It’ll compare your data week on week too. So, if you’ve been a real couch potato, it’ll quickly let you know. Click ‘Edit’ on your favourites section and you can track a bunch of other stats as well. Whether that’s distance covered or your walking speed. You’ll be able to really dig into all the important fitness nitty gritty to see how you’re getting on.

Google phones have their own app too (imaginatively called Google Fit). Just hit the ‘Steps’ button and it’ll record how much you’ve walked. And Samsung’s own Health app does the same job as well. So, there’s an option there for whatever kind of phone you’ve got.

Emoji and text shortcuts

If you want to save even more time while you text, check out text replacement shortcuts. On iPhone, head to your settings and click ‘Keyboard’ then ‘Text Replacement’. Hit the plus symbol in the top right corner and two boxes will appear. In the box ‘Shortcut’ you can put either an emoji or an acronym, and then the longer version of it in the ‘Phrase’ box above. This way, when you hit your chosen emoji, or write the short version of something like ‘omw’, the full ‘on my way’ will show up instead. Smart.

Search photos by category

Those 40 selfies. Multiple pics of your nan’s cute dog. Too many memes to count. Most of us have a camera roll that’s stuffed full of snaps. But on Android and iPhone, you can quickly find that photo you need. Go to your pictures and tap the ‘Search’ icon. Then type in any word you like. It should then pull up any relevant images - saving you a bunch of time in the process.

Giveaway Time! 

Userlevel 1

The best feature I love and its a really old one is voicemail... so what I've done is.. record the dead tone you get for when you ring a dead line.. record for 2 minutes.. put your phone on divert unknown callers.. jobs a gooden 🙂 probably don't tell your boss or management team about this !!

My favourite feature on my phone is my hotspot which I use to connect my laptop to the internet. 

Userlevel 1

My favourite feature on my phone is the zoom in feature to take photos close up. I love it that it captures all details on your photos close up.

Userlevel 1

My favourite thing on my rather aging iPhone 7 is the app that runs my Beagle Camera from wherever I am in the country or beyond. The Beagle camera then allows me to control my 3D Printer. Not only can I start it or shut the printer down but I can take photographs and timelapses of the model I am printing.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have only recently managed to perfect a screenshot. Laughably long time to get it right, l was reduced to photographing a picture on my phone with my tablet as every time l tried, l just turned off my phone. Now l can do it, l feel quite smug despite the probable fact everybody else on the planet has been screenshotting since they got their first android / iphone.

Userlevel 1

GOOGLE LENS to take a picture of whatever you want to either read, save, copy & paste, add to a list... ingredients on a jar or packet, a recipe in a book, a restaurant menu, opening hours.  

Take the snap and then use the TEXT function to select the text you want to copy. 

Best feature is using guided access shortcut on iPhone to lock your touch screen for when you let a little one watch a video on your phone! Great iPhone tip, that no one knows about. 

Android can generate WiFi QR codes when you go into settings.

Apple people love scanning them but are unable to do the same from Apple...

Why iD Mobile?