Our top hidden phone features

Our top hidden phone features
Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Most of us use our smartphones every single day, but it’s probably fair to say we don’t always get the most out of them. Or actually realise how to. There’s a ton of clever features tucked away just out of sight on iPhone and Android that you might not know about. From fun ones to the more practical, here are a few of our favourites that you’re definitely going to want to try out…

Document scanner

Got an important doc you need to scan and send for work? No worries. If you’ve got an iPhone, fire up your Notes app. Create a new note, and then tap the camera icon at the bottom of your screen. Hit ‘Scan Documents’ and position your camera over the document. It’ll then automatically snap it for you. But if you want some more control, hit ‘Auto’ in the top right corner. It’ll switch to ‘Manual’ mode, letting you scan it in the same way you’d take a photo. Then just crop the corners of your doc, and when you’re happy with it, hit save. Sorted.

It's a bit different on Android. Open your camera app and place it over the document. If it’s all in shot, a yellow border will pop up around it. Press the ‘Tap to Scan’ button and then drag your corners to set the scan area. When it’s looking good, press save to store it. Who needs a printer with a scanner, eh?

Magnifying glass

Don’t just sit there squinting at some tiny text (or your colleagues’ scruffy handwriting). On iPhone, swipe right past your home screens until your App Library pops up. Find the ‘Utilities’ folder, open it up, and you’ll spot the Magnifier app. Use it to zoom right in on those hard-to-read words. You can even tweak the contrast and brightness to make things way clearer.

For Android, you’ll need to open your camera app. Instead of pinching your fingers together on the screen, move them apart. This’ll help to magnify whatever you’re looking at. And save you an annoying headache in the long run.

Pedometer

This might give you the nudge you need to get up and going. In the Health app on your iPhone, there’s a pedometer which automatically counts your steps. It’ll compare your data week on week too. So, if you’ve been a real couch potato, it’ll quickly let you know. Click ‘Edit’ on your favourites section and you can track a bunch of other stats as well. Whether that’s distance covered or your walking speed. You’ll be able to really dig into all the important fitness nitty gritty to see how you’re getting on.

Google phones have their own app too (imaginatively called Google Fit). Just hit the ‘Steps’ button and it’ll record how much you’ve walked. And Samsung’s own Health app does the same job as well. So, there’s an option there for whatever kind of phone you’ve got.

Emoji and text shortcuts

If you want to save even more time while you text, check out text replacement shortcuts. On iPhone, head to your settings and click ‘Keyboard’ then ‘Text Replacement’. Hit the plus symbol in the top right corner and two boxes will appear. In the box ‘Shortcut’ you can put either an emoji or an acronym, and then the longer version of it in the ‘Phrase’ box above. This way, when you hit your chosen emoji, or write the short version of something like ‘omw’, the full ‘on my way’ will show up instead. Smart.

Search photos by category

Those 40 selfies. Multiple pics of your nan’s cute dog. Too many memes to count. Most of us have a camera roll that’s stuffed full of snaps. But on Android and iPhone, you can quickly find that photo you need. Go to your pictures and tap the ‘Search’ icon. Then type in any word you like. It should then pull up any relevant images - saving you a bunch of time in the process.

Giveaway Time! - Closed for new entries. 

This month we’re giving you the chance to win a £100 Currys gift voucher! 

All you have to do is tell us below, what’s your favourite phone feature or hidden trick that not everyone may know about is. Maybe you use Google Lens to help you with translations, or perhaps you are a master of using gesture controls. Whatever it is we want to know!

Simply type your response below and click send - you’ll automatically be entered in to our random prize-draw. 

Entries close at 23:59 on 24th March 2023, and we'll announce the lucky iD community winner shortly after. 

Good Luck! 

T&C’s Apply 

167 replies

Userlevel 2

My Fav: Battery life, camera, Super Amoled sreen.

I'm always using the magnifier feature in camera to be able to read very small print on some items. 

I love the search function in iPhone photos 

Magic erazer on my Google pixels 6 is a game changer.I have edited many pics with it and it never ceases to amaze me.

Userlevel 2

Holding down “a” on the keyboard to get an “â” is a game changer for me as it’s in my name, and such a faff to do/explain on a keyboard. Simple yet so satisfying.

Userlevel 2

My favourite feature, or trick as I’m old enough to remember when phones were just phones, is the camera. As the old adage says ‘the best you!’ So now you have a camera pretty much all the time!

Userlevel 1

Most of us use our smartphones every single day, but it’s probably fair to say we don’t always get the most out of them. Or actually realise how to. There’s a ton of clever features tucked away just out of sight on iPhone and Android that you might not know about. From fun ones to the more practical, here are a few of our favourites that you’re definitely going to want to try out…

Document scanner

Got an important doc you need to scan and send for work? No worries. If you’ve got an iPhone, fire up your Notes app. Create a new note, and then tap the camera icon at the bottom of your screen. Hit ‘Scan Documents’ and position your camera over the document. It’ll then automatically snap it for you. But if you want some more control, hit ‘Auto’ in the top right corner. It’ll switch to ‘Manual’ mode, letting you scan it in the same way you’d take a photo. Then just crop the corners of your doc, and when you’re happy with it, hit save. Sorted.

It's a bit different on Android. Open your camera app and place it over the document. If it’s all in shot, a yellow border will pop up around it. Press the ‘Tap to Scan’ button and then drag your corners to set the scan area. When it’s looking good, press save to store it. Who needs a printer with a scanner, eh?

Magnifying glass

Don’t just sit there squinting at some tiny text (or your colleagues’ scruffy handwriting). On iPhone, swipe right past your home screens until your App Library pops up. Find the ‘Utilities’ folder, open it up, and you’ll spot the Magnifier app. Use it to zoom right in on those hard-to-read words. You can even tweak the contrast and brightness to make things way clearer.

For Android, you’ll need to open your camera app. Instead of pinching your fingers together on the screen, move them apart. This’ll help to magnify whatever you’re looking at. And save you an annoying headache in the long run.

Pedometer

This might give you the nudge you need to get up and going. In the Health app on your iPhone, there’s a pedometer which automatically counts your steps. It’ll compare your data week on week too. So, if you’ve been a real couch potato, it’ll quickly let you know. Click ‘Edit’ on your favourites section and you can track a bunch of other stats as well. Whether that’s distance covered or your walking speed. You’ll be able to really dig into all the important fitness nitty gritty to see how you’re getting on.

Google phones have their own app too (imaginatively called Google Fit). Just hit the ‘Steps’ button and it’ll record how much you’ve walked. And Samsung’s own Health app does the same job as well. So, there’s an option there for whatever kind of phone you’ve got.

Emoji and text shortcuts

If you want to save even more time while you text, check out text replacement shortcuts. On iPhone, head to your settings and click ‘Keyboard’ then ‘Text Replacement’. Hit the plus symbol in the top right corner and two boxes will appear. In the box ‘Shortcut’ you can put either an emoji or an acronym, and then the longer version of it in the ‘Phrase’ box above. This way, when you hit your chosen emoji, or write the short version of something like ‘omw’, the full ‘on my way’ will show up instead. Smart.

Search photos by category

Those 40 selfies. Multiple pics of your nan’s cute dog. Too many memes to count. Most of us have a camera roll that’s stuffed full of snaps. But on Android and iPhone, you can quickly find that photo you need. Go to your pictures and tap the ‘Search’ icon. Then type in any word you like. It should then pull up any relevant images - saving you a bunch of time in the process.

Giveaway Time! 

This month we’re giving you the chance to win a £100 Currys gift voucher! 

All you have to do is tell us below, what’s your favourite phone feature or hidden trick that not everyone may know about is. Maybe you use Google Lens to help you with translations, or perhaps you are a master of using gesture controls. Whatever it is we want to know!

Simply type your response below and click send - you’ll automatically be entered in to our random prize-draw. 

Entries close at 23:59 on 24th March 2023, and we'll announce the lucky iD community winner shortly after. 

Good Luck! 

T&C’s Apply 

I love Google Lens to identify plants as I have an inherited garden and no idea what anything is!

Userlevel 1

I love Google Lens to identify plants as I have an inherited garden and no idea what anything is!

Userlevel 1

My favourite phone feature is the palm swipe to take pictures and using my phone's camera to scan QR codes! 

Userlevel 1

Double click the side button to open the camera is my favourite feature on the Pixel 7.

Userlevel 1

I love the new screen call feature offered by google on my Pixel phone!

On iPhone you can set up the Apple logo on the back as a shortcut by tapping either 2 or 3 times. Go to settings>accessibility>touch>back tap. From there you can set up whether you want a double or triple tap and what shortcut you want it to launch.

Userlevel 2

Where can I see the list of winners!? )))

Why use Shazam for figuring out what that one song on the radio is ? Best phone Google Pixel 7 pro handy Automatic song detection are just stunning ! 

how to turn on : 

Head to Sound & Vibration in your phone's settings, then Now Playing, and enable Identify songs playing nearby. Give it a few minutes to download the song database, and then you're good to go.

It will be on all time and will show you a notification with the song's name in it. You can tap on it to play the song.

Enjoy Everyone and have a nice day 🤘

My favourite trick is swiping left and right on the space bar to move the cursor when typing.

Me too lol

hello, I lost my 9-digit transaction number and I need it to transfer the old number from another network to the id . how can i get it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Piotr Pietrzak 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Why iD Mobile?