New Year, New You: 5 tips to make the most of 2024

New Year, New You: 5 tips to make the most of 2024

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

325 replies

I have just got married at the age of 68...my new husband and I love walking...a new watch will give us that extra boost. 

As we step into 2024, it's time once again to reflect on the year ahead. What are your aspirations for this year? Which new skills are you excited to learn? How will you carve out time for what truly matters?

These are common questions with no one-size-fits-all answers. However, if you've set ambitious resolutions, one key ingredient you'll need is motivation.

This January let's shake things up. Instead of rehashing the usual top resolutions, we're offering some fresh New Year inspiration to jumpstart your journey to bigger achievements.

1. Prioritise your health.

Remember the adage: health is wealth. And we're not just talking about signing up for a gym membership; it's about nurturing both your physical and mental well-being.

Your goals for 2024 may vary, but the energy to pursue them often springs from a healthy state of mind and body. Dedicate daily time for activities that clear your mind and reduce stress. This could be yoga, meditation, a morning run, or a gym session.

The secret to consistency? Enjoy the process. Cook and savour the healthy meals you love. Choose activities that thrill you over monotonous treadmill sessions. The hardest part is starting, but once you establish a routine, self-care becomes incredibly fulfilling and equips you to tackle any challenges on your path.

2. Manage your finances wisely.

Financial health is a perennial goal. Achieving financial stability doesn't have to be daunting. There are simple steps you can take to stay on top of your expenses, grow your savings, and allocate funds for your dreams. Today's money management apps are more sophisticated than ever.

Consider this: how often do our purchases total a round number? Rarely. Modern banking apps can round up each payment to the nearest dollar, funnelling the extra into a savings pot for your big plans, be it a dream vacation or reducing monthly bills. Besides apps, setting a budget is a proactive step towards financial wellness.

You don't need a complete lifestyle overhaul to stretch your dollar further. For more tips, check out our 2024 Guide to Saving Money.

3. Make plans to realise your dreams.

What's that long-held dream you've yet to chase? 2024 could be the year to turn it into reality. Whether it's writing a novel, mastering a new language, learning an instrument, or excelling in a sport, the possibilities are endless. Break down your big dream into smaller, manageable goals to make it achievable and satisfying.

Need help tracking your progress? Apps like Strides on the App Store are excellent for setting and monitoring goals in various ways, including milestone markers to keep you motivated.

4. Make time for your loved ones. 

Balancing work and home life can be challenging, but it's crucial to stay connected with family and friends. These relationships enrich our lives far more than work or digital entertainment. Regularly check in with your loved ones through calls, texts, or in-person visits.

Plan activities together, both offline and online. Share a meal, join a fitness class, or enjoy a theatre show. For long-distance relationships, tools like Teleparty can sync your movie-watching experiences. The key is to spend quality time doing what you love with those you cherish.

5. Unplug from Your Devices

It might seem counter-intuitive coming from a phone network, but there are times when disconnecting is beneficial. Whether it's to focus on sleep, creative projects, or simply enjoying life's moments, stepping away from screens can be refreshing.

Both iPhone and Android devices offer digital wellbeing features to assist you. iPhone users can set up downtime under Settings > Screen Time, while Android users can explore focus mode and bedtime mode under Settings > Digital Wellbeing. These tools help you manage screen time and improve your overall digital health.

As we embrace 2024, let these ideas inspire you to make the most of the year ahead. Remember, the journey is as important as the destination. Taking breaks from screens and prioritising our mental and physical well-being can lead to increased productivity and happiness in our daily lives. By utilising the digital wellbeing features on our smartphones, we can take control of our screen time and create a healthier balance between technology and real-life experiences. Let's make 2024 a year of self-care and personal growth where we prioritise our well-being and make the most of every moment.

Giveaway time:

This month we’re giving one lucky winner the chance to celebrate the New Year with a FITBIT Versa 4!.

To be in with a chance to win, we want you to tell us whether you're making a New Year's resolution. And if you are, what is it?

Entries close at 23:59 on 22nd January 2024, and we'll announce the lucky iD community winner shortly after.

We’ll notify the winner by direct message here on the Community, so please keep an eye on your inbox.

Good Luck!

My new years resolution is to stop looking back. 

Spend more time with family and friends.

As like many others Covid left me in a new world. Scarier than before. I developed severe agoraphobia and have missed out on family and friends . I find resolutions hard in case I fail but this year my goal is to be kinder to myself. I want to make baby steps to getting out and making my world less small. To seeing my grown kids and not constantly fear the what ifs…  All starts with one foot in front of the other. Happy New Year ! 

My New Years Resolution is to stop looking back and focus on moving forward 

I would like to say my New Year’s resolution is to accept myself as I am but realistically that’s not going to happen! Instead I would like to complete a year of my PHD without a constant sense of imposter syndrome.

Userlevel 1

To not feel guilty about saying “no” to requests to do things I don’t need to do.  

My New Year’s resolution is to get fitter and healthier- I’m going back to bootcamp and eating better! A new fitbit would really help! 

I've been struggling with some health issues so my new year resolution is to get better, become as fit as I can be, finish turning our house into a home, have new adventures, stay optimistic and hopefully start a family 😊

Having been diagnosed with prostrate cancer last year, I was informed that keeping fit and active will be beneficial to me.

I have decided to join a gym club in order to get fitter and hopefully extend my life!

I usually don't make new years resolutions as when I do I end up breaking them. Last years was to eat less chocolate. Lasted all of a week

i am giving nothing up after the last 2 Christmas’s i’ve had.the year before i had my leg amputated after a blood clot and this Christmas i was diagnosed with cancer.my new years resolution is to battle the cancer like i have fought with the loss of a limb. 

To stop living in fear.

Userlevel 2

Mine is to train to run a 10k in September, I’ve committed myself to my work friends so am ‘all in’ . Just had a running gait test and got some more appropriate running shoes . No stopping me now 😊

Userlevel 1

My New Year’s resolution is to clean out the clutter and useless stuff (either to the rubbish bin or a charity shop, as appropriate) and I’m aiming for one room per month so it’s achieveable!

Userlevel 1

To get a 2-1 in my pharmaceutical chemistry degree and get a job in drug development to help cure diseases, I haven't picked my speciality yet.

Making a positive new year's resolution is definitely to be encouraged for everyone. Some people don’t do it because they’re afraid of failing to keep the resolution, but that shouldn’t be a barrier. It’s so much better to try something and fail, than not try at all !

For me, I will be starting each day without the distractions of social media, but instead focusing on what actually matters in this world. Can you guess?

Have a family holiday for leisure. Have been working for 18 years and haven’t had any family time anywhere. 

My 2024 New years resolution is to stop worrying about what others think of me and use that energy on some self care ❤️❤️ xx

#NewYearNewBeginnings 

Userlevel 1

1 good deed per day is food for my soul this year.

Yes, to spend less time on my phone and more time being present! 

My New Year’s resolution is to get back into running. Started the NHS couch to 5K last week. Hoping to get healthier this year. 

New Year's resolution. I really want to read more. See the world from other perspectives.

My resolution is to better my life from last year in all aspects. Small steps lead to big steps... Small savings lead to big savings and sandal changes lead to great changes.

My new years resolution is to spend more time with my family. 

Why iD Mobile?