Virtual reality vs. augmented reality vs. mixed reality

Virtual reality vs. augmented reality vs. mixed reality
Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Virtual reality. Augmented reality. Mixed reality. That’s a whole lot of reality to get your head around. And with Apple’s recent announcement of the Vision Pro, this tech is only going to get bigger and better. But what’s the difference between the three? And what kind of cool tech is out there at the moment to try out? We’ve got the full lowdown…

Virtual reality

Some people will argue that this is the most immersive of the three. VR fully replaces your view – with a headset that goes over your eyes - putting you slap bang in the middle of a computer-generated space. And you can explore and interact with this 3D environment like you’re really there. Video games, live concerts, education, and sport are just some of the sectors taking full advantage of the tech.

If you’re gaming, you literally become the character. You’ll see and hear exactly what they do, making the experience way more engaging and hands-on. Sony’s PlayStation VR2 is a good place to start, with loads of different games to get stuck into. Whether it’s a high-octane racer that puts you in the driving seat, or a bone chilling horror. Those jump scares will definitely hit different in VR, that’s for sure!

Sports fans get in on the action too. With the Meta Quest 2 you can watch the big match like you’re really there. VR Premier League matches give you a front row seat in Sky’s virtual stadium. Get real time analysis, switch camera angles to catch every shot and tackle, or just enjoy the game with your mates.  

Augmented reality

AR is like something out of a sci-fi movie. Using your phone – or some stylish smart glasses – augmented reality overlays what you can see in real life with computer-generated info. It’s the real world, just with extra digital layers.

Pokémon GO – which took the world by storm when it launched (and is still going strong) – is probably the most popular example out there. Different kinds of Pokémon are sat on a map of the area you’re in. Then, when you get to that spot, you use the camera on your phone to see them on your screen in the real world. And all you’ve got to do next is catch them! Easier said than done…

Other companies and brands use it for more practical reasons too. Airlines like easyJet have a handy augmented reality tool in their app. Combined with your smartphone camera, you can check whether your hand luggage is small enough to fit under the seat on the plane. Which can definitely save you an awkward moment at the airport later on.

Shoe giants Adidas use AR in their app as well. For their classic footwear, you can get an even better look at every detail before you buy. Just point your camera at a flat surface, and you can spin, zoom, and flip the shoe to your hearts content. Exactly like if it was really in front of you in the shop. And it goes even further. Buying trainers can be a drag. But with certain running shoes, you can virtually try them on. Aim your phone at your feet and the augmented models will appear. So, you don’t even have to leave the house!

Mixed reality

MR is a blend of digital and real-world elements. It takes ideas from augmented reality and virtual reality, mashing them together into one cutting-edge whole. Worn around your eyes, these head-mounted displays are equipped with cameras. And these cameras are constantly mapping the space you’re in, shooting digital assets into physical spots in front of you. Which, as you can imagine, is especially cool for gaming. Characters in the game you’re playing can stroll about the room you’re in, making your gaming sessions really come to life.

They’re also used more and more now in the world of work too. Designers, artists, architects, and other creatives sometimes use mixed reality to show off their projects. Thinking about adding an extension to your house? An architect might show you around their vision of the final build with the help of an MR headset. Pretty cool.

The recently announced Apple Vision Pro is the biggest step forward for mixed reality so far. You’ll navigate entertainment, apps and docs using just your voice, hands, and eyes. Project your favourite shows onto the wall in front of you. Sit at the kitchen table while you work – no laptop required. Or video call with the family, with everyone from dad to your nan appearing as life-size tiles in your room. You’ll have to wait a little while to get your hands on it though. It doesn’t launch until 2024.

Giveaway time!

This month, we’re giving one lucky winner the chance to win a SONOS Roam Portable Speaker. All you need to do is tell us where you’d go if you could travel anywhere with the help of virtual reality. Your favourite holiday spot? Visit a loved one? The depths of space?

For your chance to win, simply enter your response below and click reply! Please note, you’ll need to be registered on the iD Community to enter. 

We’ll select one random winner and we’ll message them via direct message here on the Community. 

Good Luck! 

221 replies

I would like to travel back in time to the day I was born and see what life was like back as a baby, mid age child, nearly teen, teenager and grown up. How much life has changed throughout the years.

If I could travel anywhere with the help of virtual reality, I would love to visit the ancient city of Machu Picchu in Peru. Machu Picchu is a UNESCO World Heritage site and one of the most breathtaking archaeological wonders in the world. It is nestled high in the Andes Mountains and offers stunning panoramic views of the surrounding landscape.

With virtual reality, I could explore the intricate stone structures, terraced fields, and the majestic Huayna Picchu mountain from the comfort of my own home. I could virtually walk along the stone pathways, visit the Temple of the Sun, and marvel at the engineering ingenuity of the Inca civilization.

Virtual reality would allow me to experience the mystical atmosphere of Machu Picchu, understand its historical significance, and immerse myself in the rich culture and traditions of the ancient Inca people. It would be an incredible opportunity to explore this remote and awe-inspiring destination, even if it's only through a virtual lens.

Userlevel 1

I'd love to travel the world 🌎 going to the furthest most unexplored areas first to see the wonderful wildlife and what nature has to discover without destroying by travelling in a plane.

Userlevel 1

I would go see my brother in Hawaii and snorkel the reefs and watch turtles 

Userlevel 1

As I'm in a wheelchair when I go outside, I'd love to go places where I can only dream of ever seeing.  Thailand would be one. To soar like a bird over the landscapes or roam the markets. I could imagine that I could walk again or even run and climb. That would be my dream.

Userlevel 1

Mount Kilimanjaro - it is too late for me to climb it now

I would go back in time and I would try to save or at least meet my dad from the independence wars of Portugal and Guinea Bissau. 

It's gotta be a virtual reality tour of the International Space Station for a truly "far out" experience!

Userlevel 1

I would like to travel back to Japan to see the Sakura Blossoms. 

I’d go to a shed at the bottom of the garden to get away from the mayhem of the house.

I would go to a match of my rugby club and sit in the stand but then have the ability to see up close when I choose.

I would like to take a detailed look around the pyramids and artefacts in Egypt

So many inspiring answers. I wouldn’t mind a trip back in time to see the dinosaurs or ancient Egypt. Underwater in the deep sea or a safari trip. A trip to Galapagos. Perhaps the Caribbean. Maybe even China to see the Great Wall. Anywhere and everywhere. Fingers crossed for a win. 

I’d go to the beginning of time and see for myself what really happened and what was there 😍

The mountains of southern Spain, in Summer but with the temperature turned down to “less than sudden death” :)

Userlevel 2

If I go into a vr paradise or best place I'd go back to a time before all my loved ones passed away so before my grandad abd my dad I'd go back and meet the family that passed before I was born I'd recreate memories and imagine a vision with all my loved ones together so I never felt lonely again 

Userlevel 1

I'd go 500 miles and then I'd go 500 more, just to proclaim my feeling of independence.

I would go and travel around the worlds, first Earth and then limitless and endless travel in space, discovering new worlds. I would love to know another intelligent forms of life in Space. Meet and learn from them, exchange knowledge, work out solutions for our problems. One day, I will not need VR, AR or mix of them to do it, one day… :)

A character in my favourite movie

Userlevel 1

Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
And let me see what spring is like
On a-Jupiter and Mars

The majestic Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. 

Userlevel 2

I would travel to so many places, as due to chronic illness it’s hard for me to go anywhere, so being locked in my flat most of the time I’d travel by VR to Scotland, Wales, The Lake district, Denmark...oh so many places from my bed!

Userlevel 1

Virtual reality. Augmented reality. Mixed reality. That’s a whole lot of reality to get your head around. And with Apple’s recent announcement of the Vision Pro, this tech is only going to get bigger and better. But what’s the difference between the three? And what kind of cool tech is out there at the moment to try out? We’ve got the full lowdown…

Virtual reality

Some people will argue that this is the most immersive of the three. VR fully replaces your view – with a headset that goes over your eyes - putting you slap bang in the middle of a computer-generated space. And you can explore and interact with this 3D environment like you’re really there. Video games, live concerts, education, and sport are just some of the sectors taking full advantage of the tech.

If you’re gaming, you literally become the character. You’ll see and hear exactly what they do, making the experience way more engaging and hands-on. Sony’s PlayStation VR2 is a good place to start, with loads of different games to get stuck into. Whether it’s a high-octane racer that puts you in the driving seat, or a bone chilling horror. Those jump scares will definitely hit different in VR, that’s for sure!

Sports fans get in on the action too. With the Meta Quest 2 you can watch the big match like you’re really there. VR Premier League matches give you a front row seat in Sky’s virtual stadium. Get real time analysis, switch camera angles to catch every shot and tackle, or just enjoy the game with your mates.  

Augmented reality

AR is like something out of a sci-fi movie. Using your phone – or some stylish smart glasses – augmented reality overlays what you can see in real life with computer-generated info. It’s the real world, just with extra digital layers.

Pokémon GO – which took the world by storm when it launched (and is still going strong) – is probably the most popular example out there. Different kinds of Pokémon are sat on a map of the area you’re in. Then, when you get to that spot, you use the camera on your phone to see them on your screen in the real world. And all you’ve got to do next is catch them! Easier said than done…

Other companies and brands use it for more practical reasons too. Airlines like easyJet have a handy augmented reality tool in their app. Combined with your smartphone camera, you can check whether your hand luggage is small enough to fit under the seat on the plane. Which can definitely save you an awkward moment at the airport later on.

Shoe giants Adidas use AR in their app as well. For their classic footwear, you can get an even better look at every detail before you buy. Just point your camera at a flat surface, and you can spin, zoom, and flip the shoe to your hearts content. Exactly like if it was really in front of you in the shop. And it goes even further. Buying trainers can be a drag. But with certain running shoes, you can virtually try them on. Aim your phone at your feet and the augmented models will appear. So, you don’t even have to leave the house!

Mixed reality

MR is a blend of digital and real-world elements. It takes ideas from augmented reality and virtual reality, mashing them together into one cutting-edge whole. Worn around your eyes, these head-mounted displays are equipped with cameras. And these cameras are constantly mapping the space you’re in, shooting digital assets into physical spots in front of you. Which, as you can imagine, is especially cool for gaming. Characters in the game you’re playing can stroll about the room you’re in, making your gaming sessions really come to life.

They’re also used more and more now in the world of work too. Designers, artists, architects, and other creatives sometimes use mixed reality to show off their projects. Thinking about adding an extension to your house? An architect might show you around their vision of the final build with the help of an MR headset. Pretty cool.

The recently announced Apple Vision Pro is the biggest step forward for mixed reality so far. You’ll navigate entertainment, apps and docs using just your voice, hands, and eyes. Project your favourite shows onto the wall in front of you. Sit at the kitchen table while you work – no laptop required. Or video call with the family, with everyone from dad to your nan appearing as life-size tiles in your room. You’ll have to wait a little while to get your hands on it though. It doesn’t launch until 2024.

Giveaway time!

This month, we’re giving one lucky winner the chance to win a SONOS Roam Portable Speaker. All you need to do is tell us where you’d go if you could travel anywhere with the help of virtual reality. Your favourite holiday spot? Visit a loved one? The depths of space?

For your chance to win, simply enter your response below and click reply! Please note, you’ll need to be registered on the iD Community to enter. 

We’ll select one random winner and we’ll message them via direct message here on the Community. 

Good Luck! 

I would like to to check out the journey to Mars and living on Mars because I have read that people have suggested the human race will totally destroy this earth we are living in and some of us would have to move to Mars in order to survive. The human race has overfished the oceans, chop down all the trees, not slow down the creation of daily green house gases, etc., etc..

How feasible is it to move to Mars and survive? This is the million dollar question for me. 

Userlevel 1

I would like to to check out the journey to Mars and living on Mars because I have read that people have suggested the human race will totally destroy this earth we are living in and some of us would have to move to Mars in order to survive. The human race has overfished the oceans, chop down all the trees, not slow down the creation of daily green house gases, etc., etc..

How feasible is it to move to Mars and survive? This is the million dollar question for me. 

Have any of you been to the tropics (visited Singapore and Malaysia) recently?  Daytime temperature are 32 degrees celsius and night time temperatures are 25 degrees celsius. I try not to use the air conditioning at night because i don't want to create green house gases. I use the fan only during the day time and night time. I had to shower 5/6 times a day to keep cool. Global warming is very real and it is a major problem. 

Probably Japan 🇯🇵❤️

Why iD Mobile?